IGNORED

stupid first world problems you're dealing with

Guest KY

I am fully ready to begin scamming and stealing from textbook publishers. These prices are indeed pure insanity. To make matters worse, my school's bookstore (owned by Barnes & Noble as of last year) lists the wrong books, wrong editions, or extra books damn near half the time. If I bought them new, my calculus textbook(s, they say) for Fall alone would amount to more than $500. Luckily I found a copy of the only math text I really need for $10.99 on Amazon. :cisfor:

Edited by luke viia

Photocopying machines came in handy when I was in college.

Problem: I keep posting comments in this thread, then realize I neglected to mention a problem, so I have all these embarrassing "edited by Zephyr_Nova" tags underneath my posts.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

Lower back pain.

It's a real bitch.

I get sharp pains shooting down my leg to my ankle. It's really uncomfortable to sit anywhere, let alone drive. I've also been having hip pain.

Christ. I'm only 32. Why must my body fall apart?

I think a lot of it has to do with me falling out of shape after my bike accident.

What sucks is that right when my heel started to heal up, I nearly cut off the tip of my finger drying a sharp knife.

I just want to be healthy and active. Instead, I'm depressed and gaining weight.

FML.

sounds like a herniated disc holmes. I just had surgery for that in June. I hope yours is not as bad as mine was.

i spend a lot of care and time creating accurate drawings at work and it's guaranteed some fuckwitted idiot with no eye for detail or flair for design comes along and makes half-assed amendments based on stupid uneducated hunches without having a clue what they're doing and screws everything up!! and my name is always still on the fucked up drawings!!! if you mess with my work and make it unrecognizable put your own name on it ffs!!!!

!!!!!

[sigh]

I used to think I was smart for getting into the design world. I am now considering new career options but there are none.

I used to think I was smart for getting into the design world. I am now considering new career options but there are none.

me too. me too.

sigh.

Same. My day job is pretty creatively void. I do some freelance that is more satisfying that way but it usually doesn't pay much. Do design firms that actually allow you to be creative exist or is that a pipe dream?

Fucking book prices for university are insane.

hahaha, tell me about it.

i don't even have enough money to afford the books I am using to teach my own class...that is fucking embarrassing...

I was told you can get books for free by faculty but these seem to be from very hungry publishing companies.

Funny thing - it's all the goddamned history texts that are expensive...I just wish they would publish book lists earlier - I could order some from Amazon but then I'd be 3 weeks into my classes with no books.

Lower back pain.

It's a real bitch.

I get sharp pains shooting down my leg to my ankle. It's really uncomfortable to sit anywhere, let alone drive. I've also been having hip pain.

Christ. I'm only 32. Why must my body fall apart?

I think a lot of it has to do with me falling out of shape after my bike accident.

What sucks is that right when my heel started to heal up, I nearly cut off the tip of my finger drying a sharp knife.

I just want to be healthy and active. Instead, I'm depressed and gaining weight.

FML.

sounds like a herniated disc holmes. I just had surgery for that in June. I hope yours is not as bad as mine was.

i spend a lot of care and time creating accurate drawings at work and it's guaranteed some fuckwitted idiot with no eye for detail or flair for design comes along and makes half-assed amendments based on stupid uneducated hunches without having a clue what they're doing and screws everything up!! and my name is always still on the fucked up drawings!!! if you mess with my work and make it unrecognizable put your own name on it ffs!!!!

!!!!!

[sigh]

me too. me too.

sigh.

Same. My day job is pretty creatively void. I do some freelance that is more satisfying that way but it usually doesn't pay much. Do design firms that actually allow you to be creative exist or is that a pipe dream?

for some reason, everyone who is not creative gets to tell the creative department what to do. at my current agency, im in charge of getting my department running with new projects from the concept phase. then everyone else here (not in the creative dept) gets to tell us why it is wrong and how to design it. they couldn't possibly think of anything on their own, but they can tell us how to fix what we do. ugh.

it baffles me why these idiots didnt become designers and then it occurs to me it is because they make more money and just tell designers what to do.

Guest disparaissant

i don't even have enough money to afford the books I am using to teach my own class...that is fucking embarrassing...

I was told you can get books for free by faculty but these seem to be from very hungry publishing companies.

i dont have a single book that is less than 120 dollars new.

it's a fucking racket.

fucking basic math textbook - and i mean BASIC basic, i am terrible at math and thus have to take math 091 instead of 101 - is $170. the solutions manual is an extra 30.

Funny thing - it's all the goddamned history texts that are expensive...I just wish they would publish book lists earlier - I could order some from Amazon but then I'd be 3 weeks into my classes with no books.

Luckily I was smart enough to use a lot of Dover thrift/cheap as free monographs from back in the day. The main textbook Im screwed on.

it's a fucking racket.

fucking basic math textbook - and i mean BASIC basic, i am terrible at math and thus have to take math 091 instead of 101 - is $170. the solutions manual is an extra 30.

It seems to be the consensus for any subject to have at least one mad expensive POS texctbook....I mean, Im looking through it and its alright I spose,

Though with math, biology, and sciences there doesn't seem to be any escape from the $300 book prices each semester.

it's a fucking racket.

It seems to be the consensus for any subject to have at least one mad expensive POS texctbook....I mean, Im looking through it and its alright I spose,

Though with math, biology, and sciences there doesn't seem to be any escape from the $300 book prices each semester.

I work for an education publishing company and I can safely say that those books are expensive because we work fucking hard to get them out on time. I've been working on a digital version of a primary school maths book series for over a month and I'm not even half finished. And that's just the digital component - 10% of the final product.

(this isn't a first world problem btw - I love my job, just thought I'd chime in with my two cents)

Guest disparaissant

i understand that a lot of work goes into these shits but the prices are still fucking ludicrous. they are books for students and should probably be subsidized a bit better. dont wanna tack another couple grand onto my loans for four years of books.

have an irish friend who went to trinity and said he paid 60 euros for all his books over his entire school career. thats really more like it.

Disp, when you graduate and look at your student loan balance, you will then truly understand that you were never a student, you were a cash cow. And you will look at your bank account and realize that your milk has dried up, and that the IRS is shuffling you towards the death-reeking steel corridor to await your final contribution to society. And in those final moments, I will be there with you, as a kinsman kinscow, and we shall re-enact that scene with Gorman and Vasquez and the grenade in Aliens (I want to be Vasquez, though) and I will pull out the pin but unlike the Kate Bush song we'll both pretty much hate life at that point.

Holy shit, I'm sort of depressed.

I mean, things get better.

Edited by baph

Also by "sort of depressed" I mean holy shit I feel like that guy on the Cymbalta commercial who is about to kick his adorable dog who only wants to snuggle him :sobs:

Guest disparaissant

pretty good marketing, i think.

and yeah man i know it's gonna be awful. especially considering i want to go for a phd and teach. i will probably never make any money ever. oh well. its infinitely preferable to working a shit job my entire life though, i'd rather be shit poor and doing something i like than work a shit job and have money. too many of my friends have gone that route and they are not enjoying themselves.

my present problem is that it's 3:30 AM and i can't sleep. im hungry but not for anything i have to eat, i have to work (SECOND TO LAST DAY!) in 4 or 5 hours. the L1 button on my xbox controller doesn't work so i can't play misadventures of tron bonne like i want to, and i already packed up my mouse and i dont want to fuck around in ableton on a trackpad. gonna start a witch house project called ▲-D0RiT0▲ǂ҉▲t0WERz-▲ sometime because who doesnt like doritos man?

Guest disparaissant

despite the above, though, i am still in a pretty great mood. ive been in a great mood for weeks. yeeeeeah not being single.

i think my computer has viruses cuz the rating thing will never go above C no matter how many DEEP CARES or TURBO BOOSTS i do , or antivirus scans . i did an antivirus scan a while ago and it had 3 viruses but it quarantined them 'idk what that means'.. but now my computer is running slow some times and it never used to do that AT ALL cuz i just friggin got it super upgraded arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my present problem is that it's 3:30 AM and i can't sleep. im hungry but not for anything i have to eat, i have to work (SECOND TO LAST DAY!) in 4 or 5 hours. the L1 button on my xbox controller doesn't work so i can't play misadventures of tron bonne like i want to, and i already packed up my mouse and i dont want to fuck around in ableton on a trackpad. gonna start a witch house project called ▲-D0RiT0▲ǂ҉▲t0WERz-▲ sometime because who doesnt like doritos man?

lol ▲-D0RiT0▲ǂ҉▲t0WERz-▲ do that, I have a friend who is big into witch house. this sounds like the ticket to get him out of his looming depression.

Edited by a missing sense

i understand that a lot of work goes into these shits but the prices are still fucking ludicrous. they are books for students and should probably be subsidized a bit better.

Yeah, I understand. Ironically though, all employees get a 60% discount on the books (also a 60% discount on Penguin books, which I'd be absolutely ecstatic about if I actually read books, zole).

it's a fucking racket.

I work for an education publishing company and I can safely say that those books are expensive because we work fucking hard to get them out on time. I've been working on a digital version of a primary school maths book series for over a month and I'm not even half finished. And that's just the digital component - 10% of the final product.

(this isn't a first world problem btw - I love my job, just thought I'd chime in with my two cents)

Why is your company rewriting basic maths textbooks so frequently? What has changed? Why reprint them all? They're gigantic books, it's a waste. I don't mean to attack you directly, but rewriting books on basic maths more than once every five to ten years seems nonsensical to me and I hope you can shed some light on this. I get the exact same info from maths texts writtin in the 60s that I find in the school library as I do in the brand new texts with cute "relevant" problems about iPods, Priuses and Beyonce.

If you make a new version, schools will buy the new version, so you make a new version every year. If you don't make a new version, the schools keep the old ones for years and you don't make money and the fancy private schools can't pretend they're giving students a cutting-edge education and distinguish themselves from dirty public schools, and then nobody goes to private schools and the private schools have no more students to bankrupt, and that's just fucking unamerican.

Edited by baph