IGNORED

What was the first IDM album?

Guest enxyme

Guest enxyme

This question occurred to me today...

With my feable knowledge of electronic music history all I could come up with was Jean Michel Jarre's OXYGENE?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest hahathhat

it is probably more like there was an album that was 10% IDM then another that was 20% and somewhere past 50% it's "IDM." kind of hard to pin it on one album

Guest enxyme

define idm first

:duckhunt:

Theirs not a solid definition for IDM... But the album would have to have a strong Intelligent Dance Music element...

for sure this

warp-artificial-intelligence.jpg

Yeah agreed, as far as the IDM list was concerned the term sort of centered around this, because it was a collection of artists working on the same kind of idea in their own individual ways. It wasn't just Aphex Twin doing his own thing anymore. There was Autechre then, and others so it called for a genre name. I would call A.I. the first, yes.

Guest sirch

hmmm, i agree with all of the above, except Incunabula.

- B12, Black Dog, Aphex Twin. - everybody from the south, funnily enough! lol

I'm going with AI too

i'd say this too...

but i can't help also thinking the orb - adventures... although regarded at the time as ambient house they were 'intelligent dance music' before the bastard term was born.

Archived