IGNORED

What was the first IDM album?

Guest enxyme

in my very strong opinion the IDM scene was brought out of a combination of Severed Heads and Coil's early work mixed with a little bit of Art of Noise and kraftwerk. I think Aphex twin maybe won't admit it but he was obviously listening to a lot of the stuff i listed above when he jumped into the fray

why are there people claiming early acid house is IDM? fucking n00bs.

for once i agree with the man, BCM!

late 80's early acid is not IDM. and Raymond Scott is not IDM.. wut!? - anything from the 50's and 60's should be dissmissed also.

completely agree, and i think its my first time with you!

for me there is a fine line between really out there early industrial like Esplendor Geometrico, Severed Heads and proto IDM.

Also probably the closest artist ive heard to Aphex-like IDM that came before is VDB joel

Yeah my impression of IDM is that there had to be the "DM," Dance Music, for the "Intelligent" to distinguish itself from. So that should historically place it after techno, house, and late 80s/early 90s rave. Braindance would then be the Rephlex releases actively seeking to lampoon the term IDM.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSid9ofgOw

if i was going to pick the first 'idm' album it would be hard to do since i think the transition from really wacky experimental electronic music to artificial intelligence era warp stuff took a while. IDM is just another way of saying dancey rave influenced music that was outside the box a little bit (aka experimental) imo.

I also think an imprint that is heavily neglected when talking about early IDM is the FAX records label. It leaned very much towards a chill out psychedelic dubbed out ambient vibe but there were a few very beat oriented records that rivaled warps early stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnibIqavQXs

• 4 years later...

Oz's finest and 1 of the most subversive.....find n listen to everything you can find

The Zabriskie Point soundtrack had a wee Pink Floyd fillip called Heart Beat Pig Meat that touches on this kinda spectrum

been a night of Sun Ra tonight & thank the gods for the experience

surely this bloke got into the entrails of the sounds touched on here like some space druid inspecting a recent sacrifice?

I know its not as early as some of the other posts on this thread, I really just wanted to share because its such a cool track. I have many good memories of listening to this album when I was a youngster.

Archived