IGNORED

FabricLive series

usagi

So after getting into Instra:mental and Commix this year, I listened to their FabricLive mixes (#50 and #44 respectively) and fuck me, they're amazing. Quality tunes and slick mixing.

Can anyone tell me which other ones are as good? I think I might try #26 next, The Herbaliser

Guest Coalbucket PI

Akufen's Fabric mix is a really fun bouncy hour too, but maybe not the genre you're after. I understand the Fabriclive ones are more breaks and drum & bass? I don't really see the point in distinguishing it into two separate series but whatevz

Guest Stoppit

I think I might try #26 next, The Herbaliser

I've got this one, good party album. Lots of hip hop, funky breaks etc, as you'd expect

Akufen's Fabric mix is a really fun bouncy hour too, but maybe not the genre you're after. I understand the Fabriclive ones are more breaks and drum & bass? I don't really see the point in distinguishing it into two separate series but whatevz

fabriclive = friday night, traditionally breaks/d&b but nowadays pretty much anything considered "bass music" (including dubtechno / dubstep as well as the above)

fabric = saturday night, house & techno, but also "bass music" in terms of the deeper dubstep / techno stuff.

So yeah, it started off as quite a distinction but its all been blurred the past few years.

I own every fabric CD, and have run out of space to store them. Considered cancelling my subscription.

Favourite mixes (imo)

Ricardo Villalobos (trippy minimal techno, all his own productions / remixes, proper marmite mix this one)

Caspa & Rusko (FUN dubstep with plenty of wooompf - proper trendsetting mix this was)

Shackleton (all his own prodcutions, mixed up with plenty of exclusives)

Craig Richards (the 2xCD tyrant mix and his recent "nothing special" CD are both excellent)

John Peel (for the sheer diversity and fun of the selection, nothing is mixed as such. You will hear happy hardcore up against 60s swing, drum and bass etc...)

not after any particular genre really, just quality mixes

I think I might try #26 next, The Herbaliser

I've got this one, good party album. Lots of hip hop, funky breaks etc, as you'd expect

excellent

Favourite mixes (imo)

Ricardo Villalobos (trippy minimal techno, all his own productions / remixes, proper marmite mix this one)

Caspa & Rusko (FUN dubstep with plenty of wooompf - proper trendsetting mix this was)

Shackleton (all his own prodcutions, mixed up with plenty of exclusives)

Craig Richards (the 2xCD tyrant mix and his recent "nothing special" CD are both excellent)

John Peel (for the sheer diversity and fun of the selection, nothing is mixed as such. You will hear happy hardcore up against 60s swing, drum and bass etc...)

double excellent, thanks. I've got my listening cut out for me.

I've only really started appreciating mixes in the last two years or so, prior to that my attitude was kinda 'meh, other people's tunes'.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I've only really started appreciating mixes in the last two years or so, prior to that my attitude was kinda 'meh, other people's tunes'.

Quite a few of the DJ Kicks mixes are worth considering too if you like these sort of releases. Apparat's one is splendid

Wait, you can actually subscribe to these? Like, receive them in the mail automatically? How?

Also, thirding Noisia

www.fabriclondon.com

£6+P&P per month (depending on where you live) - you also get the CD about 2 weeks before its released in the shops.

Gets you the cd in the post every month, exclusive online downloads/streams, also cheap/free entry to the club depending on whats on. Bargain if you ask me.

Unfortunately this evening I did have to cancel my subscription :( I literally have no more room for fabric CDs.... :(

Guest Deep Fried Everything

Quite a few of the DJ Kicks mixes are worth considering too if you like these sort of releases. Apparat's one is splendid

this. fantastic mix it!

• 1 year later...

Goldies is great... And James Lavelle's is pretty good too.

I have most of the fabriclive on disk up to about 48. Most of them are pretty good.

right up there with most good essential mixes off the bbc radio one

I second the Shackleton mix. One of my favorite CDs ever.

Thirded.

fourded :emotawesomepm9:

are these mixes actually recorded at fabric or why are they called that way? by the way: what a shitty club, i felt like being at an airport. if this is what going out is in the uk, i really don't understand why they are so damn good when it comes to dance music.

fabric as a club suffers only really from the clientele, i mean the soundsystem and line-ups are consistently fuckin amazing.

i dunno, i dont like london atall as a party tourist.

Dave Clarke - If you like his harder style this is good. Also get his White Noise radio mixes online. Banging!

Maya Jane Coles - Excellent all round.

Pinch - The name and what he was associated with made me hesitant about this but it is fucking brilliant.

This tune is soooo groooovy!!

Guest onesixoneight

I think fabric 26 Global Communication is ace, first half is hip hop and solid beats style as per Mark Pritchard and it slips into lush melodic techno/house as per Tom Middleton. Its up there with the Journey's by DJ Coldcut mix. Proper good.

However I was very disappointed with the Slam one, fabric 9 I think. Its really dull.

Archived