IGNORED

An interesting film study of the Overlook Hotel in the Shining

ghOsty

Guest hahathhat

Would be better if the video wss narrated by Ulillillia

he probably would have kept it more concise.

for example scatman opening the door with one hand in one scene, then switching to the other for the reverse shot. That doesn't make me uneasy, it makes me think Kubrick was sloppy, which I feel pretty sure was the case.

Same here. Just strikes me as a continuity error. This video is reaching a little bit, as good as Kubrick was. I'd be more likely to believe it was intentional if he opened the door with his left hand, then the camera angle changed to show him opening a car door with his right hand, then the three of them getting in, then they drive over a rainbow.

Guest Pennywise

I think the impossible hallway doors and confusing sense of where all the rooms are and how they connect to eachother are deliberate. Obviously the maze changed 3 times so that has to be deliberate too.

God those twins are creepy.

Looks immensely interesting but I actually have to watch The Shining again before I want to watch this

god i'm quoting you again, in the space of 10 minutes. Anyway, i agree. film first, ask questions later.

Guest Deep Fried Everything

it seems to me that, at least in the case of the impossible doors on the floor above the colorado lounge, there was a desired symmetry in the layout of the hallway set. it makes for more compelling viewing and allows the viewer to stay concentrated on danny as he rides around on his big wheel, as opposed to having a blank wall on the left/right (respectively) sides of the shot disrupt the horizontal balance.

eh? the gold room is pretty perplexing though, i definitely have to agree there. and why, i wonder, were there stairs leading up to the apartment entrance just inside the door? that could have been deliberate, and is sneaky no doubt.

for example scatman opening the door with one hand in one scene, then switching to the other for the reverse shot. That doesn't make me uneasy, it makes me think Kubrick was sloppy, which I feel pretty sure was the case.

Same here. Just strikes me as a continuity error. This video is reaching a little bit, as good as Kubrick was. I'd be more likely to believe it was intentional if he opened the door with his left hand, then the camera angle changed to show him opening a car door with his right hand, then the three of them getting in, then they drive over a rainbow.

Agreed.

Also, had Kubrick been as anal about details in his movies as the guy makes it seems then he probably wouldn't have allowed one of the opening shots to have a clearly visible shadow of the helicopter flying over the landscape. Or maybe it's just there to confuse us so we're like, 'huh? Helicopters? What? Omfg, nobody told me about any helicopters?'.

Agreed.

Also, had Kubrick been as anal about details in his movies as the guy makes it seems then he probably wouldn't have allowed one of the opening shots to have a clearly visible shadow of the helicopter flying over the landscape. Or maybe it's just there to confuse us so we're like, 'huh? Helicopters? What? Omfg, nobody told me about any helicopters?'.

If you listen very carefully in that scene you can here someone yelling "Get some!"

Agreed.

not that i disagree with you but helicopters do fly around and cast shadows. could've got another helicopter to film the other, to make the scene more dramatic... :derp:

Agreed.

If you listen very carefully in that scene you can here someone yelling "Get some!"

I'm just going to assume it's Bill Paxton, too.

Agreed.

I'm just going to assume it's Bill Paxton, too.

:facepalm:

do I really need to explain this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Ive allways been a fan of Rob ager's video analisis videos on youtube

1270636202-Rob%20Ager.jpg

yeah the guy who made the video is rob ager, he has some other really good film analysis vids up on youtube (for the shining, full metal jacket, 2001, the big lebowski, among others)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEulbcXkgjo

Guest Mirezzi

Damn...didn't realize an entire thread was dedicated to this very strange YouTube video.

I will post later and even share some of my thoughts, including an exchange with two anti-Kubrick feminists from last year.

Needless to say, it's cute and quite a labor but I find Ager's close textual analysis of the sets of The Shining stultifyingly boring, as though the author were unaware of the most basic ingredients of Hollywood narrative editing.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah so Obel was right, this video is really boring and is almost definitely reading too much into minor things

Guest bitroast

making duke nukem levels was some serious shit back in the day. i made my house once. took me all summer to do.

YES!!

the raise / lower floor tool. amazing.

Archived