IGNORED

Most overrated/underrated Squarepusher

Dragon

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Most overrated : Go Plastic. 'Coz c'mon...It's not THAT good.

there are two songs on go plastic! that i think stands out from the rest of his songs (red hot car and tommib) but the album in it's whole isn't really that special.

Most overrated : Go Plastic. 'Coz c'mon...It's not THAT good.

there are two songs on go plastic! that i think stands out from the rest of his songs (red hot car and tommib) but the album in it's whole isn't really that special.

sacrilege!

that whole album is gold.

My fucking sound: The grandfather clock bass in that song... an analogy of his manipulation of timestretches etc cause that's his fucking sound? thats an incredible idea in my opinion, well thought out.... Exploding psychology is like no other song I've heard, ever. My red hot car, ya you're right good stuff one of my fav.... Go spastic was awesome too.

(I belong indeed to those people who think that Ultravisitor is Tom's best album :derp: )

I'm with you. Ultravisitor is a hell of a journey. Steinbolt and Tetra-sync alone are just heavy fuckers. Really brilliant.

To talk about overrated releases is hard, since the questions is "overrated by whom"? If you talk about the so-called hardcore Squarepusher fans, they always claim that the Spymania releases were his best stuff. Which I think is pretty overrated. In regards to HND I remember that many were pissed off back then since they expected some tough D&B like FMWT. Squarepusher was dissed quite a bit for going jazzy but got good reviews for Big Loada since this was more what people had expected. The press pretty much hailed the Shobaleader release, probably because it was his most accessible release but not his most genius.

Personally, a few releases didn't click for me: Just A Souvenir, Shobaleader.

Underrated? Generally in the world of music, I think Squarepusher himself is underrated. He is a brilliant composer, programmer and bass player. I still wonder why musicians like Squarepusher, Autechre, Aphex etc. are not referenced when the general culture, music and art commentators are talking about relevant music developments in the 20th century. IMHO, I think all of them need to be taught at school, right next to Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and Kraftwerk.

Guest Social Spastic

overrated: new stuff

underrated: old stuff

definatly true

best album is selection 16 last few releases abit hit n miss

Archived