IGNORED

Most overrated/underrated Squarepusher

Dragon

Guest trananhhung

Overrated: unquestionably Ultravisitor. Love Tetra-Sync and the title track - but hate how long it is, the extended ring modulator solos and the live clapping and cheering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know these aren't entire records but....

Under-rated: Deep Fried Pizza

Over-rated: Port Rhombus

Both incredible though. Still, no-one EVER talks about deep fried pizza. Really struck a chord with my fat ass.

I agree with the comments on Tom's production post 2006. I mean what the hell happened. Specially with Shoebaleader One.

squarepusher.net now displays a squarepusher logo, let's hope he's back at making good electronic music

Wow... I didn't know squarepusher.net existed but I have to agree with you. Let's hope this is an indication as the return of him as the amen-wizard he is. In other news, as you undoubtedly know, theres some rumours of a new album in 2012 signalling his return to the beat driven magic of 1995-2006....

:)

why is ULTRAVISITOR overrated i love it :wtf:

also i don't get it, who rated what?

edit: STEINBOLT :w00t:

I feel creepy listening to Tom wank himself off for half an album.

The most overrated Squarepushery is the "Music Has Rotted One Note" / "Budakhan Mindphone" / "Maximum Priest" epoch. When he abruptly changed directions at the time, it was seriously like you just lost a good friend to a horrible relationship with some crazy bitch who's got his head all fucked up to the point where he's hardly recognizable as your friend anymore!

I preferred it when he was a bad-ass high-speed music-based action hero, as opposed to him being some sort of a Pinocchio-type who was on a quest to prove that he was a REAL MUSICIAN who was far more than a one-trick-pony. Therefore, I think many people have gone back and wanted to like that era of Squarepushery more than they actually like it, personally.

As for underrated? Hmm.... I've gotta go with Just a Souvenir. I shall confess that at first I was rather underwhelmed by the fusion of his traditional electronic music style with that of a more straightforward one-man-rock-band. However, when I found the JAS 2x12" sitting in the "Drum and Bass" section of a record store, I picked it up for a lark and promptly had my mind blown when I opened it up on the train and saw that I got a giant awesome Squarepusher poster au gratis with the vinyl. I unfolded it right on the train and read his writing about the kickass rock-show of his dreams and thought "This is awesome, I've got a Squarepusher poster! Fuck Yeah!"

Ergo, I was in a really good mood when I got home and popped on the JAS vinyl. I had a proper listen as I was figuring out where I wanted to put up the poster; I must confess that the whole LP truly grew on me right then and there. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

While I wholly admit that I'm biased and I'm prone to liking types of music that I usually don't listen to only when it's made by one of my favorite musicians; I have to be real and toss out there that not even the impeccable name of Squarepusher could get me to love the Shobaleader LP. I'm quite content with my slick-looking Cryptic Motion 12" thank you very much, Ed Banger!

The most overrated Squarepushery is the "Music Has Rotted One Note" / "Budakhan Mindphone" / "Maximum Priest" epoch. When he abruptly changed directions at the time, it was seriously like you just lost a good friend to a horrible relationship with some crazy bitch who's got his head all fucked up to the point where he's hardly recognizable as your friend anymore!

I preferred it when he was a bad-ass high-speed music-based action hero, as opposed to him being some sort of a Pinocchio-type who was on a quest to prove that he was a REAL MUSICIAN who was far more than a one-trick-pony. Therefore, I think many people have gone back and wanted to like that era of Squarepushery more than they actually like it, personally.

As for underrated? Hmm.... I've gotta go with Just a Souvenir. I shall confess that at first I was rather underwhelmed by the fusion of his traditional electronic music style with that of a more straightforward one-man-rock-band. However, when I found the JAS 2x12" sitting in the "Drum and Bass" section of a record store, I picked it up for a lark and promptly had my mind blown when I opened it up on the train and saw that I got a giant awesome Squarepusher poster au gratis with the vinyl. I unfolded it right on the train and read his writing about the kickass rock-show of his dreams and thought "This is awesome, I've got a Squarepusher poster! Fuck Yeah!"

Ergo, I was in a really good mood when I got home and popped on the JAS vinyl. I had a proper listen as I was figuring out where I wanted to put up the poster; I must confess that the whole LP truly grew on me right then and there. I really enjoyed it for what it was.

While I wholly admit that I'm biased and I'm prone to liking types of music that I usually don't listen to only when it's made by one of my favorite musicians; I have to be real and toss out there that not even the impeccable name of Squarepusher could get me to love the Shobaleader LP. I'm quite content with my slick-looking Cryptic Motion 12" thank you very much, Ed Banger!

Agreed :)

wank? omg this is one off the best live albums i ever heard, it's not like he puts 4 robots on stage and pushes play? i"v been listening to this album for 10years! and i have 1000albums

wank? omg this is one off the best live albums i ever heard, it's not like he puts 4 robots on stage and pushes play? i"v been listening to this album for 10years! and i have 1000albums

Agreed.... I don't think wank is an adequate or suitable term whatsoever.

Ultravisitor goes down in my books as one of the most impressive and brutal live shows I can think of lol.

I remember being off my face on a couple little alien-head (stamped) blotters and listening to tetra sync and at 5:04 the "bonk" sound literally knocked me out of my chair...

Agreed.... I don't think wank is an adequate or suitable term whatsoever.

Ultravisitor goes down in my books as one of the most impressive and brutal live shows I can think of lol.

I remember being off my face on a couple little alien-head (stamped) blotters and listening to tetra sync and at 5:04 the "bonk" sound literally knocked me out of my chair...

I see your bonk and raise you the entire duration of An Arched Pathway. I like quite a bit of Ultravisitor, but every goddamn interstice is filled with utterly dire basswank. You're entitled to your own opinion, but in my own estimation, that isn't very good improv. Obviously that's an opinion. But Tom can do and has done much, much better.

There's a really good album somewhere in Ultravisitor.

That Sound On Sound interview was also interesting because he challenges the bias people have against strong musicianship. I mean, I think that Solo Electric Bass album is not very exciting because it sounds really quiet and a bass solo without the context of a track is pointless to me. But when he wolfs the fuck out on a bass in his tracks like My Sound, or Papalon, or that funky riff at the beginning of Endless Night, it's totally sweet. Virtuosity is awesome when it's put to use in a good way. I don't see how the wanky parts of Ultravisitor make the KILLER parts any less killer. Many of the highs of Squarepusher's musical career are on that album.

Good chops on the bass add another level of nuance to his music that a less skilled bass player wouldn't have a chance of contributing. Be glad he can play like that and chooses to make cool shit rather than bland weather channel music. Bring the FUNK and the BEATS.

That Sound On Sound interview was also interesting because he challenges the bias people have against strong musicianship. I mean, I think that Solo Electric Bass album is not very exciting because it sounds really quiet and a bass solo without the context of a track is pointless to me. But when he wolfs the fuck out on a bass in his tracks like My Sound, or Papalon, or that funky riff at the beginning of Endless Night, it's totally sweet. Virtuosity is awesome when it's put to use in a good way. I don't see how the wanky parts of Ultravisitor make the KILLER parts any less killer. Many of the highs of Squarepusher's musical career are on that album.

Good chops on the bass add another level of nuance to his music that a less skilled bass player wouldn't have a chance of contributing. Be glad he can play like that and chooses to make cool shit rather than bland weather channel music. Bring the FUNK and the BEATS.

Bravo sir.. :)

That's the way I see it too.

THANK U

also how can you not play airbassguitar when you put on go plastic an hear the first track

no basswank, no squarepusher

Numbers Lucent needs more love. That's a fantastic little EP.

agreed!

are you the same xyrofen from youtube?

I've been following your channel forever, you've exposed me to some cool music dude.

Numbers Lucent needs more love. That's a fantastic little EP.

This can't be said enough.

I think Arterial Fantasy is in my top 10 of most played tracks on last.fm. The whole EP is just amazing.

Also 'Psultan (Squarepusher Mix)' needs more love. Probably my favorite track of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3uz3f1zYHU

Archived