IGNORED

Most overrated/underrated Squarepusher

Dragon

PAPALON MOST UNDERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't realize how perfect it is until you are cruising through the city at dusk on a weekend and the CD starts skipping, you go from ice water with ice to complete maniac in about 10 seconds.

I agree, Papalon is absolutely perfect. Most people talk about their favorite song "except for that one bit", or something. Well I wouldn't change a goddamn second of Papalon.

And also it reminds me of this old Sega tune:

[youtubehd]gUukOJ2bkT0[/youtubehd]

Which is interesting because a lot of songs on that game's soundtrack definitely sound really "Squarepusher-y", despite the fact that the game came out even before FMWR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

overrated : buddakhhan mindphone

underrated: go plastic -[pretty much no matter what this is underrated at this point. i just feel like it's unprecedented and great to listen to at a next level place. a pinnacle for me]

Big Loada is most underrated.

i don't think it is. watmm speaks well of it regurlarly.

anyway, i hate when something is said to be overrated or underrated. just comes off as arrogant.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CraniumXII

Not saying underrated or overrated, but E8 Boogie is a fuckin' jam!

Agreeing with Papalon comments... The Glass Road has some Papalons in there somewhere...

overrated: selection sixteen

underrated: numbers lucent, stereotype ep

Was tempted to put hello everything, mixing and mastering weaknesses aside. Seriously, somebody needs to get tom and frank arkwright collaborating again on the finalized sound products.

Guest CraniumXII

Numbers Lucent was great... Strange catwalk/rave style was strange... but good. Nice compliment to JAS, since it was lacking the more drum n bassy style we were used to...

Never was a huge fan of Come on My Selector, personally. But it was still good.

Album-wise Buzz Caner is more of a classic that is oft mentioned.... I don't think any of TJs work is as overrated as it should be

Song wise ... "Into the blue" has a certain nostalgic magic about it.... its like something from "The Waltons"

Guest CraniumXII

Album-wise Buzz Caner is more of a classic that is oft mentioned.... I don't think any of TJs work is as overrated as it should be

Song wise ... "Into the blue" has a certain nostalgic magic about it.... its like something from "The Waltons"

Buzz Caner is great... not often that I hear people mention it. Was listening to it yesterday, in fact. Mind War Electro & Up the Gary are some of my favorites.

Into the Blue is actually pretty good. Actually like the vague lyrics... Shame he didn't seem to push the envelope with the album though. It seems he's taking more time with his next release (given that he usually releases things yearly & we haven't heard anything yet), so hopefully that's a good sign. I believe he said it would be less accessible... Which is GOOD!

Flahblub (or Flushbap) did an archive release recently... So I hope we can get one of those from the pusher as well... Damn I love some of those Warp20 tracks... The acid version of Do you know Squarepusher was fantastic, shame I know we'll never see that re-released.

• 2 months later...
Guest mrgypsum

overrated: new stuff

underrated: old stuff

:cisfor:

Agree with this 100%, i had an online argument the other day with some dude - now its all subjective and a matter of tastes but can anyone here honestly say they like anything released after and including Just a Souvenir (hello everything just makes the cut), better than his earlier more club friendly stuff?? Hard Normal Daddy blows this shobaleader stuff away - maybe if youre wicked into jazz and whatever and you never really liked squarepusher until the more recent stuff, then hey knock yourself out, but his older work is just better.

maybe if youre wicked into jazz and whatever and you never really liked squarepusher until the more recent stuff, then hey knock yourself out, but his older work is just better.

If you're into jazz, chances are you'd mostly like his pre JAS stuff. Lots of tracks on Hard Normal Daddy owe lots to Herbie Hancock, Weather Report, and countless others I can't even think of.

PAPALON MOST UNDERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't realize how perfect it is until you are cruising through the city at dusk on a weekend and the CD starts skipping, you go from ice water with ice to complete maniac in about 10 seconds.

Couldn't agree more

It seems to me that Buzz Caner is Tom's most underrated album. Personally, I like this album because it shows off more ambient/techno/acid side of Tom which I would like to hear more. Especially brilliant track here is Psultan Part 1, which is one of my favourite, if not favourite Tom's track ever, with absolutely brilliant melodies and drums. Then there are, among others, Dreaded Pestilence, Thin Life, Friend Track, Davey's Safety Lamp and of my favourite acid tracks ever - Bioslate.

What's also in my opinion very important is the Remixes EP that features great mixes by his brother, and this is also one of the reasons why Tom's Chaos A. D. project could be so important - because here his and his brother's music basically flow along the same lovely acid techno lines. I would definitely like if Tom and Andy would make an acid techno album together (and release it, of course), in veins of Chaos A. D./early Ceephax - I don't doubt it would be absolutely fantastic. And the Ceephax Mix from Selection Sixteen could easily alone be the reason why to purchase this album, aside from other great Tom's acid tracks, such as Square Rave, Acid Tape Track etc.

Guest rotchnock

I agree with the comments on Tom's production post 2006. I mean what the hell happened. Specially with Shoebaleader One.

squarepusher.net now displays a squarepusher logo, let's hope he's back at making good electronic music

Archived