IGNORED

MBV - Loveless

beerwolf

Do you love it or hate it? Or don't give a damn?

I played it a few times, and don't really see the big deal. Maybe I should I invest more time in it.

Should I get stoned first? It seems that sort of album tbh.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought it aeons ago but only played about 6 times. A good mate of mine told me about 15 years ago (when I said aeons I meant it lol) to keep playing it. And then great things will happen......

A few bands have this effect don't they? :boc: and Autechre are the same.

I think I am going to listen to this album at least once a day for the next 7 days. Perhaps I will give you a (brief) trip report each day and tell you if I love it more or hate it more lol.

I do think I am guilty of the 'yeah this is supposed to be fucking masterpeice, played it once, it wasn't a masterpeice, fuck it put some Led Zeppelin on!' syndrome.

masterpiece. it might click when you least expect it

I do think I am guilty of the 'yeah this is supposed to be fucking masterpeice, played it once, it wasn't a masterpeice, fuck it put some Led Zeppelin on!' syndrome.

this is what I had with Joy Division. took me a long time to wise up

Is this age-specific? I remember when it actually came out and wondered what the fuck was going on (when I thought it was a bit shit). It sounded like the production and mastering had been fucked up somewhere and they were trying to pass it off as 'supposing to sound like that'. LUDD will concur that before Loveless they'd come up with loads of fucking ace releases (especially their Creation EPs), but I quickly grew to realise what a unique sounding record it was/is. Nowawadays I just dismiss people who call it shit as pretentious posers who probably like stufff that really is shit (no intelligence intended in this post).

And I don't think you can enjoy this album properly without at least some enjoyment of the Tremelo EP (which I bought way back in the day, whenever it might've been).

i so desperately want an original pressing of this.

Not that expensive! Got mine, would recommend the reissue tbh

i've already got an original pressing of Isn't Anything...plus I'm hesitant to get the reissue, since it's a remaster.

masterpiece. it might click when you least expect it

this is what I had with Joy Division. took me a long time to wise up

Yes The first Joy Division album had the same effect on me, took me a few years to get into. But I played it regulary, whereas Loveless gets a spin once every 4years lol. Oh well gonna play it later, but I don't expect much of a difference straight away.

Guest AcrossCanyons

one of the few insanely highly rated albums that I actually agree deserve to be held in such high regard. amazing album.

First heard it about 10 years ago somewhat before the internets hype machine had got to it. Instant classic. Saw them live on the re-union tour, awesome stuff.

Guest Greg Reason

i've already got an original pressing of Isn't Anything...plus I'm hesitant to get the reissue, since it's a remaster.

Shields did really well with the remaster, it sounds a tiny tiny bit clearer and with better bottom end but is so close to the original that a lot of people can't hear any difference

Shields did really well with the remaster, it sounds a tiny tiny bit clearer and with better bottom end but is so close to the original that a lot of people can't hear any difference

As well as that, the vinyl is pressed on 180 I believe, and also has a super nice gatefold sleeve. Much higher quality of materials used. Got a copy of both in the house, and I'd be more likely to draw for the reissue

Took a while to grow on me, and I actually had listened to this a year before picking it up again.. But I guess I was already hooked before I realized what a fucking diamond I had in my hands. I think I've turned +-5 friends into this album and they've all loved it almost as much as I have.

It's been in a recess for me over half a year though, I don't know if it's losing its magic. I know every second of it in and out and it just doesn't seem to light the same fire anymore. I think I've been giving it a spin every two months now... Totalling up to hundred on Last.fm. Might've killed it by over-listening, heh. Oh well.

Loveless: great record. Didn't get into it right away either. "Soon" had me from the get go though. I basically play it from start to finish now whenever i put it on. Tremolo EP is the other amazing one. They don't mess around w/ bringing the good on that one. You Made Me Realise, now i don't get that one at all and why everyone talks about it, but ok.

Guest Sir Winston

I remember going to my mates house at uni and hearing this and ceephax for the first ever time in one sitting. That was a pretty good day.

I didn't get chance today. I might bump this thread up again in a months time. Like Kaini said, I'll probably give a few spins a few times a week, best not to get all regimented about it.

No negative comments? Maybe those who dislike are keeping quiet lol. It's a brave man who wades into a 24-post thread of praise :happy:

Archived