IGNORED

MBV - Loveless

beerwolf

Yeah I love me some shoegaze and MBV are legends of this sound. Loveless is great, so is Isn't Anything... i also like the Ecstacy and Wine EP

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got chills when I heard "Sometimes" for the first time, one of the songs I had on repeat after discovering it. But Loveless...I gave it a couple proper listens years ago and it didn't blow me away. I think it sounded different than I expected. There have been hyped bands/albums that I have loved immediately...Interpol and Slint for example, but I'm still not a huge MBV fan beyond a few songs, and I thought I would be at this point.

I generally enjoy most shoegaze so at some point I need to try again. But I'm on generally on the same page as Beerwolf at the moment.

Guest Greg Reason

No negative comments? Maybe those who dislike are keeping quiet lol. It's a brave man who wades into a 24-post thread of praise :happy:

What's not to love? :cisfor:

Such a beautiful creation. Stuff like 'To Here Knows When' and 'Loomer' just go so deep inside, it's almost shameful how vulnerable MBV can make a person feel

It's on!

Found at the back of the drawer between Metallicas Ride the Lightning and Mercury Rev's Deserters Songs :biggrin: .

Tbh it seems a lot more musical than I remember it, rather than a wall of drone which has always been my impression. It has this carnival sound to it, like snatches of filtered sound you would hear at a funfair.

Seems like Brainfood. And not the chore it was last time I listened.

I will be honest and say at the 6th song mark it's beginning to wear me down a little (pussy :wink: ). The sound (and I remember this from long ago) begins to get oppresive and a bit much. Like I need a gasp of fresh air or something.

The 8th tune starts (Sometimes) and that feels a much better. Classic tune!

some of the best moments of the album are the long drone out sections. i will say my mom used to complain when i played this album that it made her feel dizzy. 'why do they make it warble so much?'

"come in alone..."

i just might listen to this today. there was a time I was convinced this album was the word of the deepest spirituality. over time it kind of started to sound less meaningful because of terrible bands like Slowdive [controversial? they always sounded like emo whiney crybaby music to me lol. though pygmalion is an awesome release] and post 00s MBV ripoffs kind of tainting the music.

over time it kind of started to sound less meaningful because of terrible bands like Slowdive [controversial? they always sounded like emo whiney crybaby music to me lol. though pygmalion is an awesome release] and post 00s MBV ripoffs kind of tainting the music.

I always thought Souvlaki was about as good as Loveless. Slowdive's cover of "Some Velvet Morning" is pretty boss.

This was an album I got in the late 90s because a girl I used to like and hung out with had it. Dumbass teenage me got the album because she had it. Though I never listened to it more than once or twice back then. But I started seeing it pop up on the internets like 5 years ago, remembered I had it and got into it.

I always skip Touched though, makes me think of dinosaurs n shit with the tribal drumming and whatever the guitar is doing. Kinda ruins the mood of the album for me. =\

They are all good.

It's funny, when I try and think of my favorite track off Loveless, I always end up thinking of a track from Isn't anything.

I thought this one was on Loveless, but I was wrong.

[media='']

[/media]

great fucking song

Not to compare anything at all here, but just speaking of all this shoegaze, I passed up a few of Lush, Ride and Chapterhouse albums today. Need i bother w/ any of theses? I almost just bought the ones that came out in 1990 but i thought i'd run it passed the experienced shoegazers first. I've already got Souvlaki.

Not to compare anything at all here, but just speaking of all this shoegaze, I passed up a few of Lush, Ride and Chapterhouse albums today. Need i bother w/ any of theses? I almost just bought the ones that came out in 1990 but i thought i'd run it passed the experienced shoegazers first. I've already got Souvlaki.

Nowhere (Ride) and Spooky (Lush) are masterpieces. I personally haven't heard anything else by either band though.

I absolutely love loveless, listening to it still a lot... especially during rainy days... but...

You+Made+Me+Realise+EP.jpg

this is still their best record though imho

... I agree !

Archived