IGNORED

Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore break up !

delet...

A sad day for indie-rock.

Sonic Youth's Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore have split up after 27 years of marriage, their rep confirms to Us Weekly

"Sonic Youth, with both Kim and Thurston involved, will proceed with its South American tour dates in November," their rep said in a statement. "Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. The couple has requested respect for their personal privacy and does not wish to issue further comment."

Married since 1984, Gordon, 58, and Moore, 53, have a 17-year-old daughter Coco.

from msnbc

I wonder what this means for the band. Probably not much. Maybe they'll stop kim from singing. heh.

from nme (yeah i'm sorry that i'm quoting them too)

The rock couple released a statement yesterday (October 14) through their label Matador Records revealing that they were separating after 27 years of marriage.

The announcement has also raised doubts over the future of Sonic Youth after Matador revealed that plans for the band remained "uncertain", even though they had previously hinted they would record new material later this year.

They issued a statement on behalf of Moore and Gordon asking that people respect their "personal privacy" following the announcement, which read:

Musicians Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, married in 1984, are announcing that they have separated. Sonic Youth, with both Kim and Thurston involved, will proceed with its South American tour dates in November. Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. The couple has requested respect for their personal privacy and does not wish to issue further comment.

The band are scheduled to play five shows in South America in November as part of the tour, which could mean that the last show in Sao Paulo, Brazil on November 14 could be their final ever gig.

In June, Thurston Moore told NME that the band were hoping to meet and record new material this year. "We'll just gather and see what happens," he said, when asked about the prospect of a new Sonic Youth album.

The band released their sixteenth studio album 'The Eternal in 2009, while Moore's third solo album, 'Demolished Thoughts', came out in May of this year.

link

Jesus, they've been married for almost as long as I've been alive. I figured if anyone made it past the 15 year point they were set for life. But i guess if the members of Sonic Youth can be 50+ going on 60 anything's possible. I hope they keep going --the Eternal was one of their best.

Jesus!, i didn't realise Kim Gordon was 58!! holy shit. that's older than my Mum!

i assumed they were both much younger than this...

:derp:

when is coco and frances bean gonna get a band together?

coco already got herself a band - http://bignils.bandc...m/album/sibling

frances is too busy taking artsy pics of herself anyway

After skimming through that coco stuff, i'm glad that frances has decided against it. Although i could be charitable and say something about highschool bands and people getting better eventually, but that would ruin my schtick.

They gave it a go, it didn't work out. I wonder if they stayed together for the sake of their daughter growing up in a two parent household ? Also, i would suggest that it's kim wanting to move on. But what do i know.

1. I've been listening to Murray Street a lot recently. :music:
  2. Nobody like divorces.
  3. Maybe they split because being 58 in a band called Sonic Youth is some kind of paradox.

They should at least go until their mid 60's. Sonic Geriatrics has kind of a nice ring to it.

They really are in a league of their own as far as 50+ rock stars go. I think they still sound as vital as ever.

I was pretty gutted to hear about this. It is a shame that it has to happen but nothing lasts forever I suppose. It would be a shame to lose Sonic Youth as a band but they have left us with more than enough wonderful music.

I liked the fact that they seemed like such a stable lasting couple, it was refreshing in a world of rocknroll drama lifestyle easy-divorce bullshit.

This. Agreed completely.

I was pretty gutted to hear about this. It is a shame that it has to happen but nothing lasts forever I suppose. It would be a shame to lose Sonic Youth as a band but they have left us with more than enough wonderful music.

yeah, this.

Archived