IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

Guest Backson

I think this is one of the best pages so far. The Stephen / Auto exchange is fucking gold.

i'm with stephenG. for the most part, clubs totally suck. there used to be a decent one here called Tone where groups like seekae got started and they'd feature fresh local acts playing their own beats.

outside of that it is wob city, ladies and gentlemen.

Do you know anything good coming up like this?

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm with stephenG. for the most part, clubs totally suck. there used to be a decent one here called Tone where groups like seekae got started and they'd feature fresh local acts playing their own beats.

there's awesome stuff weekly in Melbourne. I hardly ever go to clubs anymore though. I'm satisfied with the chiptune gigs every few months. Blip Festival on the weekend was amazing!

That's what the clubs in this city are for.

They let underage girls in cheap, charge them 2$ a drink, and that attracts all of the creeps.

I have no interest in going there.

The music they play is played to appeal/attract previously idenfitied underage girls.

And at no point did I say my life is hard. :S

Feel free to interject any time with some evidence that the clubs in my area play good music.

tick tock

Yo where in Canada do you live?

Lol you buying the first ticket over?

Calgary Alberta

ahhh hah hah that explains a lot. I'm from edmonton. But I live in Vancouver now. edmonton used to have ok bars. Clubs suck anyways. Once raves were killed that was the end.

Ah nice! Yeah once they did away with those everything got kind of bunk.... =(

I think this is one of the best pages so far. The Stephen / Auto exchange is fucking gold.

Do you know anything good coming up like this?

What do you call this new movement?

Dom: Erm... It's hard to say, it's not really got a name. It's not like a revolution, but it's definitely a movement. Like a new level of bass and dance music.

LOL

It was the only friggin picture I could find which made her actually look good. Turns out the link doesn't work properly. :S

burger_top.gif

osbourne1s2010.jpg

burger_bottom.gif

(I just can not post the Kelly chick without using spoilers)

Guest Margatroid

Sorry, but this article was a hooot

http://www.vice.com/...n-february-2012

I think it's rather telling that most of the fans there are very young, except for a fat couple in their early 20s and a 32-year-old "pretty little gothling" named Billie Childish (lol). Skrillex's music doesn't have much appeal for people over 25 from what I've seen, and I think it's more of a specific generation gap thing than it is a "too old to enjoy fun music" thing. The dude is a methed-out cartoon character and his songs are erratic ADHD blasts of energy without much memorable structure... I think he appeals way more to kids who grew up in the 2000s than he does to slightly older people who experienced a world without internet, constant cellphone use, and basically being able to stimulate a dopamine rush at any time with the push of a button.

I think of him as the musical equivalent of something like 4chan. I'm sure previous generations said similar things about young people being influenced by television, but that doesn't make it any less true.

Anyway, kids will enjoy what they want to and there's no point in gnashing teeth about it. I was disappointed when I read Lube Saibot's post about how much he contributes to his own music, though.

At least the dude is amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58LyzFP7sI

Guest Margatroid

Can't say I disagree, lol.

I know a local electronic musician who's 26 and has a Skrillex haircut, although he's into vintage analog stuff and makes music that sounds nothing like dubstep. Whenever I make fun of Skrillex around him he sort of acts like he didn't hear me and refuses to comment on it. I don't think he even listens to Skrillex though. I get the feeling that there's a lot of pressure in the electronic scene (at least here) to accept new and popular things so as to not appear old and out of touch.

Archived