IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest CraniumXII

I am probably wrong but I just get the vibe that StephenG is someone who would also think that Atlas Shrugged is a masterpiece and Ayn Rand a genius.

Book has a few good points... but not much. I like her stance of Religion... probably just cause I agree with her on that point :closedeyes:

I am probably wrong but I just get the vibe that StephenG is someone who would also think that Atlas Shrugged is a masterpiece and Ayn Rand a genius.

Not sure, never read Ayn Rand.

I'm not sure what connotation there is with appreciating Ayn's works, is that a bad thing?

It depends, in my eyes Rand fanboys are horrible people. But it's merely just a thing that popped in my head. No worries, dude...

Don't agree that you can set objective criteria on judging if music is good or bad. Sure some music is more accomplished than others, but making a judgement call if something is "good" or "bad" is strictly a subjective thing.

Guest CraniumXII

It depends, in my eyes Rand fanboys are horrible people. But it's merely just a thing that popped in my head. No worries, dude...

Don't agree that you can set objective criteria on judging if music is good or bad. Sure some music is more accomplished than others, but making a judgement call if something is "good" or "bad" is strictly a subjective thing.

First, u have one of the best Avatars EVER!

It is also true that music does not have to be complex to be good... but talking about the people behind the music, however, is a different story, IMO. Can we agree that Yngwie Malmsteen, as amusing a character as he is, is a better Guitarist than Sonny Moore? Like him or not?

Yes, apparently Skrilks can play guitar.

First, u have one of the best Avatars EVER!

It is also true that music does not have to be complex to be good... but talking about the people behind the music, however, is a different story, IMO. Can we agree that Yngwie Malmsteen, as amusing a character as he is, is a better Guitarist than Sonny Moore? Like him or not?

Yes, apparently Skrilks can play guitar.

yngwie is great.

He is much better than skrillex at playing guitar.

I'm not allowed to say that though because apparently that makes me arrogant.

More technically proficient, I would imagine so, but I've never heard Sonny play guitar

Better? That's subjective to the listener and what they want from music

I am pretty sure Yngwie is technically more proficient guitarist than Skrillex, but that wouldn't necessarily make him "better". I've heard musicians that are technically very good at their instruments but their playing is simply boring to me, a judgement call again.

dood, that's a great idea ^

(thingsthatlooklikeskrillex.tumblr)

waaaaay jazz. Basically a copy of girls that look like Skrillex.

This is the best thing I can find right now. plz halp

Guest CraniumXII

More technically proficient, I would imagine so, but I've never heard Sonny play guitar

Better? That's subjective to the listener and what they want from music

I think they are one an the same. As butthurt as a Skrillex fan might be, I think in their heart of hearts, they'd know who was the better Guitarist. From the progression of chords, to variety of scales played. As a result of knowing more theory, he as able to express himself as an artist more easily. Again, like or dislike the music. He has beautiful, simple tracks as well.

dood, that's a great idea ^

(thingsthatlooklikeskrillex.tumblr)

waaaaay jazz. Basically a copy of girls that look like Skrillex.

This is the best thing I can find right now. plz halp

True, but I think it could stand on it's own. How about this:

1tNfF.png

I guess in the same way that Brian Ferneyhough is a better composer than J.S. Bach?

:emotawesomepm9:

In the sake of someone getting all BARHABARHAhr unfair example balhabrhahr

Would you say that a composer that subscribes to the school of New Complexity is better than a composer from the school of minimalism?

Who would you judge to have a greater knowledge of music theory? How would you know without directly quizzing the composer?

It'd prolly be best keeping with the theme of mundane objects though, kinda like jesus sightings

Yeah, I've got this waiting in the wings.

Paul_Seville_Horsetail_Shaper.jpg

edit:

fuckit, imma upload it now

One makes catchy and enjoyable pop music, the other makes self indulgent wanky bass solo techno rubbish.

Sonny wins this round.

Guest Lucy Faringold

You know I love SP and cannae stand Skrill but the absolutist line of argument StephenG and CraniumXII are pursuing in this thread is just bafflingly obtuse. Just reeks of fear-based conservatism. 'My standards are the real standards and everyone else is uneducated!'

Guest CraniumXII

Sorry you feel that way... There's a ton of music that is quite technical that I don't like. Maybe my argument comes off as elitist, and that's not my intention... I'm just trying to make an objective argument as to why Skrillex isn't that great. Should we get into frequency range science?

it used to be about the gifs, man!

ah sweet meme-ories...

f8c.gif

OH SHIT... THAT'S SKRILKS! I'd watch him for sure :w00t:

Archived