IGNORED

Watchmen prequel series(s) confirmed

Rubin Farr

i don't know who that girl is but she's fookin sexy. didn't she acted in kaboom by greg araki ?

i'm talking about the girl of your avatar ghOsty but I'm unable to display the pic in my post :(

I just don't understand how they would make another story to this. Seems like everything was wrapped up pretty nicely. There are already loads of flashbacks in the original graphic novel.

It's like those Dune books. Nobody fucking forces you to read them. You gotta stop pointing fingers are creators, and start pointing at yourself : Do you fucking want to read this or not??? Can't blame them for the "produce or die bitch" business situation, we're living in a capitalistic world or not?

It's the George Lucas-syndrome. I predict a childhood rape. People just can't let things go. But it's up to YOU to not read them. Can you resist? :nelson:

It's like those Dune books. Nobody fucking forces you to read them.

word, it's like a pizza, nobody tells you to it eat.

but it's layered one, like a sloppy fat chicago style pan creation. you poke at it with your fork oh hey look what's inside? who would've thunk it's the same old, same old *puckers up lips to barf*

forces

Yoda_SWSB.jpg

i still think an ozymandias specific back story comic book wouldn't be a terrible idea. the most we get of his back story feels like a total tease. and if they expound on his origins a little i dont see how it would harm the watchmen canon (much) it depends on which direction they go. If they go too scifi on our asses and talk that psychic kids brain they extracted a piece of it might be horrible.

Alan Moore says the prequel comics are shameless profiteering, and he's right. In a completest sense, I'm a little tempted. Len Wein (Swamp Thing) is writing the Ozymandias books...

But no, they're not worth it. I might watch the resulting films, but I'm not justifying this with money.

Guest bitroast

this is so upsetting. i don't care if it turns out to be alright, or "not amazing, but actually alright".

it just seems wrong that it's being created.

the fact that alan moore is saying above^ comments. upsetting.

this is so upsetting. i don't care if it turns out to be alright, or "not amazing, but actually alright".

it just seems wrong that it's being created.

the fact that alan moore is saying above^ comments. upsetting.

In case you were wondering what exactly he thinks:

"I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago," said Moore, also the writer of the acclaimed

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Lost Girls

and

Swamp Thing

. "As far as I know, there weren't that many prequels or sequels to Moby-Dick." The writer also said the

Before Watchmen

news reminds him of the "draconian contracts" he signed with DC at the time.

It's a huge success on DCs behalf that they've tied so many big names to the prequels. I don't think they'll detract from the original works, but I trust Moore implicitly. There's no worry of him turning into a dick like Frank Miller.

As I said, this could almost cool if they paid tribute to Moore and reimagine the whole thing, take it out of it's context, turn it on it's head and come up with something really weird.

Guest Wall Bird

As I said, this could almost cool if they paid tribute to Moore and reimagine the whole thing, take it out of it's context, turn it on it's head and come up with something really weird.

I'd actually be more accepting of the whole project if the producers were interested in doing something like this. However, the original is such a thorough and well rendered piece of literature and it has a very intricate construction. I don't know if it could be boiled down into a few general themes that would then be reinterpreted in a satisfying way.

To make a musical analogy; I think of Watchmen as being similar in arrangement to a typical Squarepusher track; something which is so reliant on the particulars of it's arrangement and manipulation of a particular medium that it could not be greaty simplified into some core thematic elements. To be explicit, could anyone see 'Menelec' being interpreted by another musician and still be recognizable? On the other hand, most songs by The Beatles can easily be boiled down their chord changes, lyrics, and a vocal melody; and, as we've all seen, most of them continue to be rearranged again and again while maintaining an identifiable essence.

That's why I think that as cool as a total overhaul (ala Alan's job on Swamp Thing) would be, and although it would be exciting and possibly a more acceptable way to revisit the Watchmen story, I don't know if it could be done in this way.

i feel like the last 2 DC comics attempts at the Swamp Thing series were heavily indebted to Alan Moore in all the wrong ways. They used all the psychedelic and esoteric trappings of his Swamp thing run without any of the soul or creativity. It was kind of a mess but i read them anyways. Still an improvement from the eco-terrorist short run Swamp Thing title about his daughter (2 runs previous)

edit: i continue to be shocked that after Mark Millar become the hottest new comic writer (he got kickass optioned for a film before the first issue came out) that his 'conclusion' the swamp thing run Moore started on has never been reprinted in graphic novel form. To me it's probably the only other writing besides Gaiman that seemed to 'get' what alan moore was trying to do with that story.

i feel like the last 2 DC comics attempts at the Swamp Thing series were heavily indebted to Alan Moore in all the wrong ways. They used all the psychedelic and esoteric trappings of his Swamp thing run without any of the soul or creativity. It was kind of a mess but i read them anyways. Still an improvement from the eco-terrorist short run Swamp Thing title about his daughter (2 runs previous)

Obviously, I'd rather have the trippy Swamp Thing rather than the eco-terrorist too, but I'm not into this current run yet either. I just can't get into Holland being separate from Thing. The Frankenstein element has been replaced with something closer to Jekyll & Hyde.

Moore's story had a little more 'romance' about it in that Holland and Thing were supposed to be eternally bound.

And I don't like the style of the new Abby.

Archived