IGNORED

Burial - Kindred EP

chassis

Guest ruiagnelo

do you guys honestly think he makes much money ?

did you see him DJing / touring ?

did he do remixes for Lady Gaga ? he must get tons of requests

does he want you to "like" his facebook page ? to follow him on twitter ? to buy his t-shirts ?

do you honestly think indie acts get much money from their record sales ?

we're not in the 90s anymore

Ehm. Is this a response to some unposted post I haven't read? What are you on about?

I posted this:

I enjoy Burial's music, but i am actually starting to think he is just recycling his sound over and over again with each new release. Kind of simply applying the magic formula and getting the dollars out of it.

but it was a provocation kind of more related to a way of producing music by means of recycling a successful sound that very frequently happens nowadays, than to Burial itself. Like i have stated, i love his music and will continue to support it, but i would be even happier if his music could surprise me with each new release.

Also, i don't know if he is making money or not. As long as he can buy his food and i can buy mine as well, and still afford to have his releases, everything is fine for me, concerning money.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think his last release did show some growth of his sound. and the difference in sound between his first and second album is obvious. unless you hear wood blocks and stop listening maybe.

I noticed his songs are getting twice as long.

He's also using a 4 to the floor beat more and ditching the EL-B hi hat skitters.

Guest MortstoX

Dear mr Burial. Please make some tracks that doesn´t have the same samples as always, wood block beats, distant vocoder voices singing "ooouuuaaa", and the sound of bullet shells hitting the ground because almost all your other tracks sounds like that. Thanks!

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

Dear mr Burial. Please make some tracks that doesn´t have the same samples as always, wood block beats, distant vocoder voices singing "ooouuuaaa", and the sound of bullet shells hitting the ground because almost all your other tracks sounds like that. Thanks!

i hear there are other musicians/producers making music too! maybe you'd like some of that instead of listening to burial and expecting it to not be burial

Guest Backson

why do so many people criticise artists for having a consistent, signature sound?

i've heard far too many artists who abandon their styles just for the sake of it and end up making crap.

Guest MortstoX

why do so many people criticise artists for having a consistent, signature sound?

i've heard far too many artists who abandon their styles just for the sake of it and end up making crap.

I love both his albums. Untrue was probably my most played album in 2006. But after that I just feel like he is making the same tracks over and over again. He is a talented guy, and I hope he tries to experiment just a little bit, but at the same time I want his to keep his sound/atmosphere. Anyway, I won´t get in to a long discussion about this with the fanbois. I expect this EP to be decent.

Artists are criticised for not having their own unique sound, yet the moment they do, they're also criticised for not sounding completely different on the next album. Hard to win really. Personally, i'm always excited when I hear new Burial. He hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Guest MortstoX

Artists are criticised for not having their own unique sound, yet the moment they do, they're also criticised for not sounding completely different on the next album. Hard to win really.

Well. Artists are praised for the same reasons. It's a question of quality I guess.

Imagine Aphex Twin continuing with his ABB-releases instead of ICBYD, RDJ Album, HAB, Drukqs and Analord. What a sad thought.

Or Squarepusher releasing the same mid 90s Drum and Bass-album over and over again instead of experimenting with his sound.

Some of my favourite artists maintain their atmosphere on their music, without giving me the feeling that they just repeat themselves. Like Tim Hecker or Fennesz. You sort of have an idea what their new album will be like, but still there are room for surprises and innovations.

Anyway. Since most of his fans obviously wants more of the good old, I'll keep my mouth shut.

you can keep the same "Sound" while changing the style. for instance if Burial did the same sort of music but with D&B type beats or techno/house beats.

Anyhow I love Burial and so far I think his music has progressed just enough over time but I do think I would prefer it if on future stuff he swtiched it up a little more. Either way tho i will keep on listening and no doubt keep on loving his stuff!

Guest Backson

Mortsto, I agree with your reasoning. The key is to evolve, and to do so naturally.

I just dislike when artists completely revolutionise every couple of years instead of refining the tools they have and mastering the craft.

Clark is exempt because he is very good at it.

Archived