roundabouts in the US

data

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Centurix

This is not too far from where I live.

250px-Magic_Roundabout_Schild_db.jpg

5 Roundabouts in a ring, that you basically use as one big roundabout. Its not too bad once you get the hang of it...

090415-magic-roundabout-swindon.jpg

Wow, that used to be my daily drive. Calne to Highworth. There's a memory!

Guest Franklin

roundabouts are gaining in popularity here in canada too as they lead to fewer vehicle crashes and way fewer traffic fatalities.

chaos, there are conflicting studies regarding cyclists having increasing crash rates in them.

wow xxx i havent heard of diamonds before. *looks it up*

Fuck the roundabout, diverging diamond is where it's at

screen-shot-2009-10-29-at-105050-am.png

Basically, you stay in the inner lanes if you want to continue into the city and take the outer lanes to "diverge" onto the freeways below the underpass. It's brilliant. This is the diamond coming into Springfield, MO. and it's one of the first in the nation. Before, you had all north Missouri traffic trying to get on the main artery freeways and into the city proper but there was just a single intersection. You could be backed up for miles and 20-30 minutes at a time to accomodate all the different pathways. Now, you can sail through in minutes flat

Fuck. That. Thing.

Yeah there's hundreds of roundabout here in Québec. Basically, they eliminate conflicting point (there's less than 10 in a roundabout, compared to 25+ in a 4-way intersection).

But sometimes it's even too much, like this in the city of Gatineau :facepalm:

roundabouts.jpg

Basically, you stay in the inner lanes if you want to continue into the city and take the outer lanes to "diverge" onto the freeways below the underpass. It's brilliant. This is the diamond coming into Springfield, MO. and it's one of the first in the nation. Before, you had all north Missouri traffic trying to get on the main artery freeways and into the city proper but there was just a single intersection. You could be backed up for miles and 20-30 minutes at a time to accomodate all the different pathways. Now, you can sail through in minutes flat

Fuck. That. Thing.

Fuck. That. Thing.

I remember seeing a proposal to do that in the outskirts of Austin, it looked like it would save a lot of time at that intersection.

Guest Coalbucket PI

A few countries in Europe started picking up on roundabouts in the last ten years, I wonder why they only just started happening there. They are definitely better than traffic light junctions. I don't recall seeing any in America when I used to be there.

That roundabout of roundabouts looks nuts, never seen that before. It seems odd that you can go around it in either direction? Although maybe thats the only way it could work... mind hurts thinking about it.

when you're riding a bike, going through a roundabout supposedly increases your chance of being hit by about 3x compared with a regular intersection (wnich sounds right, based on my experience with the only one in ottawa). so, i don't like them.

My mum has only run over one cyclist and that was on a roundabout, so that's completely believable.

i had the pleasure of going round the arc du triomphe this week, i thought i was going to die.

Arc_de_Triomphe.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

:cerious:

:cerious: indeed. that thing is scary as shit

rounbabouts?

Straight roads. America.

Robert_Moses.jpg

thanks robert moses

but seriously michigan lefts.

FAQ1_155600_7.gif

A Michigan left is an at-grade intersection design which replaces each left turn with a permutation of a U-turn and a right turn. The design was given the name due to its frequent use along Michigan roads and highways since the late 1960s.

I can vouch for plenty of them being implemented in renovated intersections in washington state too. Oregon too I think.

Yeah, there's a few near me. Mostly traffic circles from what I recall, but there's been a few more roundabouts put in recently.

They have become more common in the last 10 or so years.

Drivers ed didn't teach me or any of my friends how to navigate them in the late 90s so the majority of drivers don't know how to handle these things. It's pretty funny to watch confused drivers use them.

I've only seen a few 2 lane ones though. I have a feeling a 3 lane one like that gif would be too complicated for drivers here.

There is a 3-lane one in town where I live, they just revamped the entrances and exits so it's simpler. The outer two lanes used to be able to get you onto a side street, but now only the outer lane has exits. The inner lane mostly exists for parking and mail box drops.

I love roundabouts, so much quicker.

There's a roundabout in Brighton called Seven Dials, It's set out so lorries can go round it but of course that makes it harder for everyone else, there's always so idiot that doesn't realise where they're going...

Archived