IGNORED

Meh debut album, uphill afterwards

Cryptowen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Wall Bird

Yep, Bowie.

...and holy shit, The Flaming Lips. How could I forget? They didn't start getting good until five albums in and then Steve Drozd joins and... *BAM*! amazing shit comes out.

radiohead, although things have been going downhill for a couple of releases now.

Ween + Flaming Lips, almost.

I should stress that Ween was especially not ever "meh", they just continually improved quite substantially in terms of musicianship and songwriting throughout their career. Their early stuff was great in part because they didn't know too much yet. And yeah, I'd say the same applies for Flaming Lips. Both were great from the outset, but things just kept getting better for the most part.

Radiohead and Beck are two notable ones.

Radiohead I can agree with, but Beck?

Well i guess his original releases were all a bit hit or miss, but I can't say that Mellow Gold is worse than Golden Feelings, or that One Foot in the Grave and Stereopathetic Soulmanure are better than Mellow Gold.

Mouse On Mars

µ-Ziq

Massive Attack

Deerhunter

Beach House

Pivot

Lol wut?

Tango'n'Vectif was not a "meh" debut.

Well i guess his original releases were all a bit hit or miss, but I can't say that Mellow Gold is worse than Golden Feelings, or that One Foot in the Grave and Stereopathetic Soulmanure are better than Mellow Gold.

Mouse On Mars

µ-Ziq

Massive Attack

Deerhunter

Beach House

Pivot

Lol wut?

lol moderator, defending his shit!!!

Prince??

chris clark - clarence park

i liked that.

Blur

The Beatles

and i liked Leisure as well. still do. love that 'baggy' shit.

and (most) everything by the Beatles is great. even the very first stuff, when they were on speed all the time.

love that early 60's rock 'n' roll shit.

i liked that.

Blur

The Beatles

and i liked Leisure as well.

Do people don't like Leisure?? its a really fun album, i love it (more than Think Tank)

Autechre

I'm not a tru fan but I agree, they didn't really get good until untilted (save a few tracks on LP5).

wut the..?

Lol @ "they didn't really get good until Untilted."

what planet have you come from?

i liked that.

Blur

The Beatles

and i liked Leisure as well.

Do people don't like Leisure?? its a really fun album, i love it (more than Think Tank)

yeah, i love Leisure. and the heavier guitars and odd melodies with weird drunk lyrics and Damon's flat, moody young voice.

Mouse On Mars

µ-Ziq

Massive Attack

Deerhunter

Beach House

Pivot

Lol wut?

lol moderator, defending his shit!!!

Prince??

i think most stuff by µ-Ziq is "meh", imho. but that's just me, i've never been a big fan of his.

i think i never got too into any of his stuff because there was always so much more other (better, as in more interesting to me) music coming out all the time and so much other older stuff to check out all the time when i was growing up.

i agree with Beck, tho. his early early stuff was pretty rubbish. Mellow Gold was when it all came together and he got really good. the rest before that is definitely, mostly, quite meh.

Tango 'N' Vectif is massive. MASSIVE!!

I thought Chris Clark too, not because I don't like Clarence Park (I do like it a lot) but because I don't think it really indicated how prolific he was going to become. It didn't seem like a "career-launching" album to me at the time, maybe also because his later stuff is more where the CC "sound" started to emerge.

What I mean is that Clarence Park sounds more like an "interesting one-off spazzy Warp 2000s release" to me (see, Chok Rock? the few moments when Jimmy Edgar did Warp shit, Sote [remember that?], etc.) than a "debut album by a solid Warp artist".

I feel like I'm not explaining this well enough. Oh well.

I agree with Prince though. At least For You. I think the S/T album is QG, actually.

What about people who started off making one sort of music then violently zig-zagged? Say, Xela. Or even Funckarma, 2000s people like that.

Archived