IGNORED

The Future Sound Of London - Environments 4

purlieu

sorry, orders via fsoldigital.com only. great album, an satisfying update of where they are with their new material. very organic, like dare i say an unplugged Lifeforms somewhat?

There's definitely a hint of Lifeforms in the mood, but unlike Environments 2 and 3 this doesn't sound like their 90s stuff polished up. I can't really compare it to any of their other records in sound, it really does sound completely new. Organic, definitely a lot of acoustic stuff, beautiful. Wasn't sure on the first listen or two but I've been playing it a lot and it's really growing on me, could become one of their best records I think.

There's definitely a hint of Lifeforms in the mood, but unlike Environments 2 and 3 this doesn't sound like their 90s stuff polished up. I can't really compare it to any of their other records in sound, it really does sound completely new. Organic, definitely a lot of acoustic stuff, beautiful. Wasn't sure on the first listen or two but I've been playing it a lot and it's really growing on me, could become one of their best records I think.

I'm with you on this, will take a few more listens to fully appreciate. Also like the bonus track 'Plough'

Has anyone downloaded the 'A Gigantic Globular Burst Of Anti-Static'? I know it's a few years old now but never got around to buying it. I'm interested in what people think of it, any good?

Guest Balance

Feck, I have to wait for Amazon to deliver, I'm sure I'll get the exclusive track from somewhere.

Glad to hear it sounds good,can't wait ;)

Guest jsd

Available now at fsoldigital.com and beatport (fsoldigital version has one exclusive track).

Unlike some of the stuff they've put out in the last few years this sounds fresh and new, and not just a bunch of leftovers from the 90's with some new bits added. I didn't really have a problem with any of the previous archives/environments releases but I've heard that some people thought it was a bit of a rehash.

Anyway, E4 is out now and I am loving it. Really subtle, mellow, beautiful stuff.

What do you think?

Guest ruiagnelo

I have honestly got tired of FSOL's frenetic release schedule. Seems like they are releasing stuff so that people remember they exist.

Is their recent work really relevant in the current musical scene? is their current sound really that interesting? it doesn't sound fresh or original, and most definitely doesn't sound like an update of their sound.

i wish they would make a compilation or even boxset of clearly archived and old material, and then stop. we can't even understand what is new and what is old already.

Is their recent work really relevant in the current musical scene? is their current sound really that interesting? it doesn't sound fresh or original, and most definitely doesn't sound like an update of their sound.

It sounds like you answered your own question, I mean I completely disagree (and have no idea what the 'current musical scene' is), but sounds like you're pretty set in your opinion of it.

Guest ruiagnelo

It sounds like you answered your own question, I mean I completely disagree, but sounds like you're pretty set in your opinion of it.

yes, i ended up answering my question. what i mean is: i don't find their recent sound distinctive or interesting at all.

and you are talking with an FSOL long time fan. Lifeforms was one of my first electronic music discoveries. I just hope they would still be able to surprise and not keep throwing music constantly. I wonder if anyone will still be listening to these environments/archives series in 10 years.

edit: quality over quantity, that would be my main point here

No I totally agree that there's been a lot of 'fluff' (mainly from the archive series a few years back), I would however (if you haven't already) suggest checking out Environments 4 - It's probably my favourite thing they've done since Dead Cities. And if you missed it in the glut of releases check out Yage - The Woodlands of Old too

Guest ruiagnelo

No I totally agree that there's been a lot of 'fluff' (mainly from the archive series a few years back), I would however (if you haven't already) suggest checking out Environments 4 - It's probably my favourite thing they've done since Dead Cities. And if you missed it in the glut of releases check out Yage - The Woodlands of Old too

Currently listening to E4. It's funny you mention Yage's Woodlands of Old, because it instantly came to my mind, and it is a recorde i love.

I am not saying all their recent stuff sucks. There are plenty of amazing tracks. For example, i always get back to Museum, from archives 2 (i think).

But 4 environments series and 6 from the archives series might have been too much!

It's good huh ! I mean I quite like the long form approach and old skool 90s vibes that E1 evokes, E2 & 3 (in particular 3) are a little too meandering to stick in my brain, but 4 is bloody lovely !

I think it's fair to say the initial year of FSOLDigital was overkill in terms of anyone but the most obsessive fan, but it has slowed down a lot since then - this is the first release since September 2010, it seems like a sensible release rate at the minute.

The archive series is a difficult one as in general it again only really appeals to the hardcore fanbase who want everything the band have ever done, but then there are some really incredible pieces of music scattered throughout them - Waterhole, Then Departed and Cellular Control are definitely among my favourite FSOL tracks. I do wonder if they might have worked better as mp3-only releases, a more literal 'archive' that listeners could pick and choose and delve into as they pleased.

The Environments series I think is fine - they've been released in 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012, which strikes me as a normal album release rate anyway. The first was obviously a nice reveal into the long-lost album and the second one was a way for more casual fans to hear the best unreleased 90s material in a more coherent setting. The third tried to do that whilst introducing a wealth of new material, which I think works better on paper than on record, as I think it falls apart in the second half.

This one is a definite update of their sound, and a very welcome one indeed. It's still growing on me with each listen, and I think it'll definitely become a long-term favourite of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

All these FSOLdigital material that have been released over the years has overwhelmed me and I just shut down and haven't bothered to check it properly out. The stuff I've heard hasn't really blown me away, some of it is however quality FSOL, which also for me was the first foray into electronic music, Lifeforms and later Dead Cities being my entry points. Those couple of albums still sound surprisingly fresh considering they are soon 20 years old, a respectable feat especially when talking about electronic music that has a tendency to sound dated quite fast.

Will check this one out however, liked the one of the later Environments, dunno if it was #2 or 3.

Archived