IGNORED

2012 Most IDM - What to do Next?

Root5

So incomplete skyscrapers won as most IDM.

I'd like to organize a tribute album now. However, I thought I'd make this thread first in order to gauge the community, because I noticed a lot of people lost interest as the tournament went on. A tribute album will only be as good as the tracks submitted to it, so we need to make sure that we only do this if our music makers are ready and enthusiastic.

Here are some possibilities we can do. I'd like your opinions on what will lead to the best tribute album.

1. We can do a tribute album to Incomplete skyscrapers, because it won the tournament.

2. We can do 3 tribute EPs to Masturbating furiously, www.gaarg,tumblr.com, and Slime molds. (I chose these three because these were the ones that had the most enthusiasm attached to them in tournament. I left out Space stations because I think the fans of Space stations would still like to bank on it winning a future tournament, and receiving its own full tribute album).

3. We could do a poll between the above three choices, and do a tribute album to the winner.

4. We can wait a little bit until people get over Fred's leaving and try again when watmm is in a happier place.

5. Some other option?

I'd personally like to do option 2. I like the idea of giving people the choice of what theme to use, and I'm reasonably confident I'd get enough submissions for each theme to make an EP for each. But I'd be happy to organize a different sort of tribute album, if that's what the watmm community wants.

I briefly considered the idea of making a watmm tribute album to Fred, but I don't think he'd like that. We should focus on what is most IDM, as that is what he would have wanted.

No socially awkward? Autism?

Yeah, as much as I want to do incomplete skyscrapers, number 2 might be a better idea. Then again, I still want to do incomplete skyscrapers. Maybe we could do all of the above. Don't want to wear ourselves thin, though.

You should probably do the winner of the tournament first. Then follow it up with the other eps spread out about 2 months apart.

Although I've got nothing at stake here, anything other than 1 defeats the purpose of the entire tournament, imo. So my vote goes to keeping things consistent. Think about next year. What's the purpose if the subject is going to be changed anyways?

Although I've got nothing at stake here, anything other than 1 defeats the purpose of the entire tournament, imo. So my vote goes to keeping things consistent. Think about next year. What's the purpose if the subject is going to be changed anyways?

Yeah, true. I'm sure that the other topics will influence our tracks, anyway. I know that if I make one it's gonna be a pretty autistic.

Okay, so I'm getting the sense people would like to be strict about doing a tribute album to whatever wins the Most IDM tournament. It may not be everyone's favourite topic, but it's simple and fair system, and sets a good precedent for future years. I'm certainly down with that.

I'll let some more people have a say before deciding, but it's looking like we'll have a tribute album for Incomplete skyscrapers.

incomplete skyscrapers is a pretty boring option, but its not too bad. its kind of a nice idea for a concept album. im imagining a tune which gradually stutters from sparse, rhythmic, scattered sounds, like a scaffolding base for the dense, rich stuff to open up as the track progresses

What about an album for incomplete skyrapers and an EP for one winner of the three (gaarg, molds, masturbating, (gaarg))?

incomplete skyscrapers is a pretty boring option, but its not too bad. its kind of a nice idea for a concept album. im imagining a tune which gradually stutters from sparse, rhythmic, scattered sounds, like a scaffolding base for the dense, rich stuff to open up as the track progresses

let's do this.

clearly watmm needs to chill the fuck out, and after everything settles and the talent around here focusses on the tracks we'll have another great comp. No one has been disappointed yet. And besides, use this limitation as creatively as possible.

besides#2: it's not like all the tracks on previous comps really had anything to do with antarctica or tesla...

Okay, I'll make a thread for option 1 later today. I think that's a great option.

We won't have an EP for any of the runner ups, because people might submit more tracks for those options than for incomplete skyscrapers. Let's start the precedent that, if you really preferred a different topic than the one that won, then you should prepare a campaign for next year and try to get it to win next year. That's what I did with Girls+robots in the same photograph that one year.

Incomplete skyscrapers, while not my favourite topic when compared to the others, is actually a pretty great topic.

Archived