IGNORED

EDM and Raves under threat of acquisition by big business!

chenGOD

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electronic music is like a pair of identical twin brothers. One of the twins is a sharp dressed young man who goes to cool people parties & probably hangs out at Snoop Dogg's private Ganj farm. He is currently doing quite well for himself. The other twin is a pale malnourished looking guy who has a patchy beard & mutters to himself about space aliens & he kind of smells like old socks. This twin makes music for WATMM & for short films about zombies

Electronic music is like a pair of identical twin brothers. One of the twins is a sharp dressed young man who goes to cool people parties & probably hangs out at Snoop Dogg's private Ganj farm. He is currently doing quite well for himself. The other twin is a pale malnourished looking guy who has a patchy beard & mutters to himself about space aliens & he kind of smells like old socks. This twin makes music for WATMM & for short films about zombies

fucking lol.

I think we might just have an update to cup's description of IDM.

I haven't been to a rave since early 1997... when people started showing up looking like this is when I said... I'm out!

lol i know. The article (I know - hipsterrunoff is satire) asks if old people get rave culture now that it's been mad into a commodity. I have to ask, do the young people get what rave culture was?

i listen and rave to an enormous amount of techno and house music, i havent seen so much as a glowstick in about a year. the subclub actually has them banned.

I haven't been to a rave since early 1997... when people started showing up looking like this is when I said... I'm out!

lol i know. The article (I know - hipsterrunoff is satire) asks if old people get rave culture now that it's been mad into a commodity. I have to ask, do the young people get what rave culture was?

i fucking love you, you smartly dressed handsome man, you.

the acronym EDM makes me cringe more than EBM or more than IDM by a factor of 20 billion

definitely in agreement with you here. for me, it's synonymous with the blanket usage of the term 'dubstep'

Guest dese manz hatin

I don't see much of a problem there. Techno and Rave have gone through some very bitter times, yet they still exist and are (arguably) in top shape (i'd say) - 25+ years later!

Monetarization has happened at all times in this scene. Just think of the emergence of eurotrance where house culture started to bleed through into popular music. Then the kind of stadium techno like scooter, all that trance shit etc, those DJs were (and are) rock stars too. But since generally, once a phenomenon gets monetarized it will turn shit - all the "good" people (that this scene has always been about) normally move on to different things or go underground. Especially in electronic music this seems to be the cease, probably because a lot of the experience and all the fun (At least for me) is built upon the way music is experienced - i.e. in rather intimate settings, with lots of freedom, tolerance and privacy, and with a certain kind of audience.

It happens all the time: when "minimal techno" or "tech house" began to become really popular recently (about five (?) years ago) and drove all the plebs into the clubs (especially in germany and here in berlin - just think ot Tresor), everybody moved into either (deep) house music or dark techno and to new clubs and more private raves and open airs.

If it means theres going to be more hot dumb bitches at the gigs I go to Im ok with that.

Although, I have notice a slight increase in bellends attending decent music gigs.

Guest dese manz hatin

Also, god bless good door policies. It fills me with joy that the rejections at my 'home' club are getting more and more.

Also, god bless good door policies. It fills me with joy that the rejections at my 'home' club are getting more and more.

berghain? ive heard its a nightmare to get in if you arent a regular

Guest dese manz hatin

no no, ego in hamburg. they weren't strict at all up until a few years back, but they are getting more and more selsctive since the place started to gain popularity.

berghain is hit-and-miss really. i personally never had problems so far (then again i've never been there when it was really packed), but when you are not a regular and not gay, they are quite unpredictable. you can get in a dozen times and then get rejected out of the blue. but still, if you're more or less "their type" you shouldn't worry.

i fucking love you, you smartly dressed handsome man, you.

ta, muchly.

the acronym EDM makes me cringe more than EBM or more than IDM by a factor of 20 billion

full agreement.

I don't see much of a problem there. Techno and Rave have gone through some very bitter times, yet they still exist and are (arguably) in top shape (i'd say) - 25+ years later!

Monetarization has happened at all times in this scene. Just think of the emergence of eurotrance where house culture started to bleed through into popular music. Then the kind of stadium techno like scooter, all that trance shit etc, those DJs were (and are) rock stars too. But since generally, once a phenomenon gets monetarized it will turn shit - all the "good" people (that this scene has always been about) normally move on to different things or go underground. Especially in electronic music this seems to be the cease, probably because a lot of the experience and all the fun (At least for me) is built upon the way music is experienced - i.e. in rather intimate settings, with lots of freedom, tolerance and privacy, and with a certain kind of audience.

It happens all the time: when "minimal techno" or "tech house" began to become really popular recently (about five (?) years ago) and drove all the plebs into the clubs (especially in germany and here in berlin - just think ot Tresor), everybody moved into either (deep) house music or dark techno and to new clubs and more private raves and open airs.

that's what I told my slightly hipsterish 25 year old friend. It's been commodified for years. When those mega clubs in Ibiza/berlin/london became popular?

The RAVE act in America spelled the end of underground parties in America. It's a shame - I was too young to get in on the scene until about 92-93 (by which point I'm sure many of the true oldtimers will argue raves were already done), but I remember (vaguely) some wicked times, in movie theatres, old warehouses, fields...

some places never experienced that kind of scene at all - in Korea it all started in clubs that were already manufactured scenes.

@ Chen...

RE the RAVE act... it's such a shame this was put into effect. Not to mention it has proven pretty much useless I think, since it's primary goal (I think?) was to reduce ecstasy consumption.

Now people just buy ecstasy and do it at home at house parties etc. I am surprised that there hasn't been a high level case challenging the act, since we in North America are supposed to have the right to gather peacefully right? I don't know much more on the topic and I know my 2 cents is actually worthless on WATMM, but hey..

I wish I could have a barn party. lol

Edit: I guess the primary goal wasn't to reduce ecstasy, but to shut all the raves down so they commoditize the industry? Is that accurate?

As a person that lacks the ability to talk to "normal"girls, these neon hipster ravers are a godsend, they will literally go to bed with you if you smile at them from a distance.

is rave culture what happens when you do mdma at a party?

a rave to me is when a group of people gather to listen to some bangin choons in a place where they are not legally allowed to, and anyone elses opinion means nothing to me.

Archived