IGNORED

Alan Partridge Movie Being Made

Joyrex

Guest Gary C

It's been talked about for a decade and rewritten more times than I can remember.

Supposedly this time they've committed to keeping Alan as pathetic as possible, which is the only way to make it work IMHO.

I'm not sure it'll be as good as the first two TV series'. It'll probably be comparable to Borat or something, but I'll still see it and love 90% of it. The series were 100% outstanding. Perfectly written and acted. No lows, no flawed characters or acting. It didn't try to become a sitcom or anything above it's station.

I'm not entirely confident based upon the intervening years that the crew have been apart, and most likely due to the 90 minute format.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I think it will probably be good. There is clearly a problem with turning it into the feature format though. I think what they wanted to do was have his career irrevocably going downhill from the end of the chat show, I don't know how that makes for a big enough story for a film.

Guest Gary C

One failed draft had Partridge on American TV, whilst another had him getting involved in a terrorist-plot.

Apparently American TV would have been too good for Partridge. It would be too big for him.

And the terrorist-plot is just kind of shitty. Whacky character on tour of a foreign land (Borat). Plus, I'd imagine that Coogan and Iannucci recognise that Three Lions is the only comedy about Islamic terrorism.

It's been talked about for a decade and rewritten more times than I can remember.

Supposedly this time they've committed to keeping Alan as pathetic as possible, which is the only way to make it work IMHO.

I'm not sure it'll be as good as the first two TV series'. It'll probably be comparable to Borat or something, but I'll still see it and love 90% of it. The series were 100% outstanding. Perfectly written and acted. No lows, no flawed characters or acting. It didn't try to become a sitcom or anything above it's station.

I'm not entirely confident based upon the intervening years that the crew have been apart, and most likely due to the 90 minute format.

ehhh season two of i'm alan partridge was way too sitcommy for my tastes. half the episodes could have been above average episodes from black books or something.

but my god do I say cashback and presumably an infected spinal column in a bap way to much

Guest Lucy Faringold

Whatever happens it will be worth watching. Those mini-episodes they did a while back were solid and the recent autobiography was a lot better than I expected it to be. The only mistake they could make would be making the plot and the set pieces too over-the-top. Partridge is at his best when he's wallowing in banality. Oh, and if they try to get too sentimental with the ending; I suppose that could backfire too.

Guest Rambo

if any American's are reading this, the best place to start is Knowing me Knowing you with Alan Partidge. You lucky things.

Guest Pennywise

It's impossible for Alan partridge to not be funny. There's literally no way that this movie will fuck up and I'd bet money on it. It's my ultimate favorite comedy, everything he says is fucking hilarious IMO.

[youtubehd]x9ytDCZS9oM[/youtubehd]

i'm so hopeful for this.

There's literally no way that this movie will fuck up

they will if they tailor what is quintessentially 'british humour' to appeal to the mass market (in other words the US).

Guest kokeboka

The very first time I watched Knowing Me Knowing You, for the first 10 minutes I thought it was an actual show with a really bad host. My favourite bit in the show was when he was having a political debate and suddenly yells out "IGNORE HIM!" to someone. Or the fashion tips ("sports casual").

I'm Alan Partridge wasn't as funny as Knowing Me Knowing You IMO, but it was still very good. Will definitely watch the movie if they get around to making it.

actually it's strange that HBO or someone hasn't made a US version yet... i bet someone's asked but coogan is either waiting for the right time or has standards and wants to preserve the sanctity of the original... told them to fuck off, unlike gervais.

Guest Gary C

I'd imagine it's Coogan's standards. I suppose it's comparable to The Office. Gervais was/is Brent in real-life. Coogan was/is Partridge in real-life. But they made the American Office work by making it just different enough to stand-up on it's own. It's all about picking the right comedian and shaping the idea around them.

I'm really not sure Partridge could be changed like that, though. His patheticness is very much English. He's very patriotic. Loves James Bond films. Enjoys estate cars and Norwich. Would an American Partridge live in a motel? Or get into a fight with farmers on a narrow boat?

I'd highly recommend the audiobook of I, Partridge. I've listened to it 3 or 4 times in the last 6 months. It revisits all the classic stories, but is much better than the YouTube series.

It's impossible for Alan partridge to not be funny. There's literally no way that this movie will fuck up and I'd bet money on it. It's my ultimate favorite comedy, everything he says is fucking hilarious IMO.

[youtubehd]x9ytDCZS9oM[/youtubehd]

if this was facebook, i would click like on this post

I think a film is a bad idea as it just wouldn't fit Alan Partridge. I can't see how a film would work with him at all.

However more AP is always great. I can't believe Mid Morning Matters and the audiobook were as good as they were. It's kind of astonishing that the character is still good.

I can't wait for this. I hope they'll be able to keep Alan how he was from The Day Today to the last series of Alan Partridge.

Right, time for me to go and get an infected spinal column in a bap!

Archived