IGNORED

Rest in peace, Ray Bradbury

eh Speedy

Goodnight Ray. You were a light in the fog.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/story/2012-06-06/ray-bradbury-dies/55417888/1

Had the pleasure if meeting him a time or two when he did some talks in my town. Gave him a prop book-harp I had made of our high school production of The Martian Chronicles and he told me he has a roon in his house where he keeps everything his fans give him. Wrote me a person card from his home to thank me. He was a great guy that had great words. No celebrity death has felt more personal.

Guest Mirezzi

I think Martian Chronicles was indeed the first sci-fi I read. "The Third Expedition" still gives me chills.

Aww, shit. Yeah I loved Martian Chronicles, Illustrated Man, etc back in the day. Technically he wasn't a great writer (as is true of many of my favorite SciFi authors) but he more than made up for it with his fantastic imagination. I used to have an 8 or 9 cassette series of "books on tape" of his short works, it was terrific. Wish I still had it (or a cassette player, for that matter...)

Guest zaphod

first sf story i ever read was in the illustrated man about the astronauts falling into earth's atmosphere and burning up and some kid wishing on a falling star at the end. heart warming.

Ah that sucks balls. One of the greats (in terms of SF writing) who brought much joy to the imagination of a young chen.

Guest Mirezzi

i actually thought he was already dead

So did I. When a colleague mentioned it today, I was like, "Huh? You reading news from 1998?"

In his honor I will do a series of audio-book listening sessions on my long drives for the next few weeks. RIP

Cool, I'll definitely get it. Anyone else got good Bradbury suggestions? I'm not that well acquainted because I normally don't read/listen to fiction.

Take Me Home

by Ray Bradbury

June 4, 2012

When I was seven or eight years old, I began to read the science-fiction magazines that were brought by guests into my grandparents’ boarding house, in Waukegan, Illinois. Those were the years when Hugo Gernsback was publishing Amazing Stories, with vivid, appallingly imaginative cover paintings that fed my hungry imagination. Soon after, the creative beast in me grew when Buck Rogers appeared, in 1928, and I think I went a trifle mad that autumn. It’s the only way to describe the intensity with which I devoured the stories. You rarely have such fevers later in life that fill your entire day with emotion.

http://www.newyorker...a_fact_bradbury

The short story "The Lake" about what I remember was the drowning of a girl, as he tells it, was the first story he ever wrote where he felt like he had broken through to where he wanted to be in his craft at the age of 22. Said he wept when he finished it.

Guest Iain C

I think "There Will Come Soft Rains" was on my GCSE syllabus or something. As for Bradbury himself, I seem to remember he was a litigious cunt. Or maybe that was Harlan Ellison. All those old sci-fi guys are the same.

Archived