IGNORED

Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

I know a lot of you folk like the Pumpkins... new album is out there from today streaming on iTunes. Some pretty great tracks in there (and a couple of pretty awful ones)

First Pumpkins music recorded as a band for quite a while too, some fantastic basslines and backing vocals in there

I think the music on this record sounds a lot more genuine than Zeitgeist... that record seemed so calculated and unemotional, quite happy that this is the first collection of songs from Corgan I've heard in a long time that trigger an emotional response

It has its moments for sure. The first couple of tracks really rock. At one point during my first listen I was actually brought back to the 90's. The lyrics are awkward as fuck, but that is Willy Corgan. It sounds like he caved and finally started listening to some constructive criticisms, and that's a good thing.

Not sure if want... I mean I love old school Pumpkins, but Zeitgeist was seriously terrible and Billy's such a massive douche these days I don't know if the new stuff is worth bothering with.

I listened. There's some decent stuff, but overall it's not what I'm into these days. I'm not one of those "stuck in the 90s" alternative rock fans that's going to devour this. I've moved on. It's not terrible though, I'll give it that, it's just not for me.

I may have a second listen later just to see if anything grabs me.

where the fuck is the new Zwan album Billaah?? :emotawesomepm9:

Even though they carved their sound in my soul, the band is rip for me a looong time ago

not gonna listen :sad:

Zwan is, in terms of membership, more Smashing Pumpkins than present day Smashing Pumpkins. I might like some of the new stuff but I can't get motivated to hear it. I have a friend who grew up with the band being his favorite, even got a tattoo of the heart symbol with "SP", and he's somehow managed to watch Corgan's antics with a sense of humor.

Guest sirch

Not sure if want... I mean I love old school Pumpkins, but Zeitgeist was seriously terrible and Billy's such a massive douche these days I don't know if the new stuff is worth bothering with.

I think he was always a douche. but he made some great songs... even though he's a douche.

a lot of douche's make great music in fact.

Guest sirch

I listened. There's some decent stuff, but overall it's not what I'm into these days. I'm not one of those "stuck in the 90s" alternative rock fans that's going to devour this. I've moved on. It's not terrible though, I'll give it that, it's just not for me.

are you a "stuck in the 90's/2000's IDM fan" instead? :)

Apparently Billy just stated this in a recent Guitar World article:

"I'm not pissing on Deep Purple. But I'll piss on fucking Radiohead, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in."

All I'm reading here is that someone's a little bitter and jelly because thier band didn't exactly survive thier way out of the 90's... oh Billy you're still as much of a whiny bitch as ever.

are you a "stuck in the 90's/2000's IDM fan" instead? :)

Nope :wink:

Guest sirch

Apparently Billy just stated this in a recent Guitar World article:

"I'm not pissing on Deep Purple. But I'll piss on fucking Radiohead, because of all this pomposity. This value system that says Jonny Greenwood is more valuable than Ritchie Blackmore. Not in the world I grew up in."

All I'm reading here is that someone's a little bitter and jelly because thier band didn't exactly survive thier way out of the 90's... oh Billy you're still as much of a whiny bitch as ever.

he's spent too much time with Courtney Love.

also, Jonny Greenwood wasn't even around and in Radiohead when he was growing up.

douche bag.

Can't be bothered with this at all. My headspace is in a different zone nowadays and though I pine for those 90's alternative guitar rock days, I have no interest at all for a new Smashing Pumpkins album.

New Soungarden or Faith No More? Now that could be worth getting excited over. We shall see.....

Can't be bothered with this at all. My headspace is in a different zone nowadays and though I pine for those 90's alternative guitar rock days, I have no interest at all for a new Smashing Pumpkins album.

New Soungarden or Faith No More? Now that could be worth getting excited over. We shall see.....

I would get excited over new Faith No More, despite the risk. But my interest in Soundgarden only lasted for a few albums and more often than not, I can't stand Chris Cornell's voice.

im really nervous about hearing this....Machina and Machina II were the last albums that reminded me of the real spark, the teenage angst and the beginning of existential quandries manifesting themselves in song...his lyrics were so weird to me because they seemed to be written by a 14 year old, but as opposed to Creed or other alt-rock bands, they seemed to strike a chord in me growing up. Not to mention when they got heavy, they got HEAVY, and it was great.

SHould I listen to this? Zeitgeist made me way too fucking angry..

Yeah give it a go, it's Corgan's best material for AGES and is picking up good reviews

It starts heavy but the general mood of the album is quite blue and sombre in a way that is new for them but also recognisably Pumpkins, quite synth heavy but generally in a decent way

Guest sirch

i'd take the very worst of the pumpkins over soundgarden or FNM, any day!

Guest Lucy Faringold

Pale Horse is outstanding. Wildflower is quite affecting too. The Celestials almost gets there but the production/guitar sound isn't good enough to really hit the mark. Don't know why he's still writing tired garbage like Quasar/The Chimera. All the drums sound like shit.

Dude should probably stop writing rock music and do some kind of Djali Zwan-esque pschedelic/folk project. He's a great songwriter but he keeps weighing his stuff down with unnecessary bombast and awful synths. Just fucking strip it down, Bill.

Archived