IGNORED

Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Probably won't listen to this, anyone else notice the similarity to some Isis titles?

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania.... Isis - Oceanic (2002)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - 02 Panopticon 03:52... Isis - Panopticon (2004)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - 03 The Celestials 03:57... Isis - Celestial (2000)

The Pumpkins used to be one of my favorites, but I've stopped caring much about them over the last few years. This album was a bit of a surprise, though... I liked it more than I thought I would. I'm only a few listens in and it's getting better with each. As Jaffa said, it's consistent... there's not a bad track on here.

Any once-Pumpkins-fans should give it a try!

I though about half of Machina 1 was really good. Machina 2 was mostly really good.

This is the best music he's made since, easily. Especially the second half of the album.

It's good stuff.. even the songs I wasn't too keen on for the first few listens have grown on me quickly. I can't think of a single song that would be better off out of the album. And I like that different songs remind me of different Pumpkins albums.. there is a little Gish, Siamese Dream, Adore and Machina on here.

Probably won't listen to this, anyone else notice the similarity to some Isis titles?

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania.... Isis - Oceanic (2002)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - 02 Panopticon 03:52... Isis - Panopticon (2004)

The Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania - 03 The Celestials 03:57... Isis - Celestial (2000)

lol that can't be a coincidence. what a doosh he is.

Billy was on Stern for over an hour last week, was a pretty good interview. From what I gathered this new album is all about this girl that Billy is still in love with. Turns out the guy had a pretty fucked up upbringing. He played Tonight in the studio with just an acoustic guitar and his voice and it was surprisingly well done. I still haven't heard the new album, but the one track they played off of it during the interview was pretty catchy and unique. It did remind me of some old Pumpkins.

During the interview he made fun of indie kids sitting in their basement making synth music, and called most new music using autotune & protools "robot music". He gave a lot of props to Bob Marley & John Lennon for being the great songwriters.

During the interview he made fun of indie kids sitting in their basement making synth music, and called most new music using autotune & protools "robot music". He gave a lot of props to Bob Marley & John Lennon for being the great songwriters.

:rolleyes:

Isn't that basically what he did for Adore?

Guest Lucy Faringold

Part of the charm of being a Pumpkins fan is that you can never really feel let down by Corgan. You know he's a dick and that's the bottom line. Having accepted that fact you're free to enjoy the tunes and can observe his idiotic ramblings with detached amusement.

I have never found them to be that good. his voice is nails on chalkboard to me. then again i like ventolin...

I'm just now starting to like Oceania. I wasn't too excited about it because the free stuff that he's been releasing for the past 3 years has been mostly wack, and I just couldn't accept it as being The Smashing Pumpkins. Upon listening to this album, I thought it sounded pretty good, but felt like something was missing. Like none of the songs had anything catchy or compelling in them. Upon a second listen, I realized that The Chimera, Glissandra, and Inkless were really good, but the other songs were still lacking. Today, I like the majority of the record and LOVE Glissandra, but I don't know how it compares to past SP albums. Billy's voice is still appealing to me and he does some really nice melodic things with it, so most of the tracks I can sing along to. Perhaps he's finally gotten his creative muse back.

Strangely enough, I liked Zeitgeist immediately, and I'm sure I'm the only person who loves his solo album, The Future Embrace. I wonder why it has taken so many listens for me to warm up to Oceania....

Guest Lucy Faringold

Fiddling around with the EQ on Oceania to add a little more low end growl and ease off on some of the more shrill frequencies really balances the sound and improves the album a great deal. I think it's a very enjoyable album.

TheFuturEmbrace had some really great textures and interesting songwriting. I like it a lot. Didn't that guy from Nitzer Ebb record it with him, if I remember correctly?

I liked Zeitgeist to begin with but I can't deal with the production these days. Tarantula is a massive tune though.

Fiddling around with the EQ on Oceania to add a little more low end growl and ease off on some of the more shrill frequencies really balances the sound and improves the album a great deal. I think it's a very enjoyable album.

TheFuturEmbrace had some really great textures and interesting songwriting. I like it a lot. Didn't that guy from Nitzer Ebb record it with him, if I remember correctly?

I liked Zeitgeist to begin with but I can't deal with the production these days. Tarantula is a massive tune though.

Yeah, Bon Harris produced all of the TheFutureEmbrace. It was a great record, and I really wish he would have continued on that path because it was more interesting and creative than what he ended up doing with his revived Pumpkins. It was kind of embarrassing that he put out the ad asking for his band back on the exact same day that his solo record was released, and then didn't promote the thing at all aside from a short tour. Maybe he didn't really like it. I don't know, he can do whatever he wants to do with his own music, but although I liked Zeitgeist, I thought it was a pale imitation of what SP actually was and just wished he'd have just let the legacy of the band remain as it was.

You're right, though. Tarantula is definitely a massive tune, and so are Doomsday Clock and 7 Shades of Black. Billy will always make good songs, but I really would have liked another electronic album over what we've been getting, even Oceania.

Archived