IGNORED

WHY isn't LIAM HOWLETT ranked alongside RDJ? [ the Prodigy ]

vamos scorcho

therefore if you want to get down to brass tacks, i guess the prodigy are more "punk rock" than rdj. but that's fine with me - avril lavigne is more punk rock than rdj.

she is also more punk rock than the prodigy :trollface:

although i am a fan of experience

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQa1BsHpXlE

this one is fun too

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prodigy are a bit of a pantomime nowadays, or so it seems to me.

Jilted Generation is a true classic though, I know a lot of metalheads who detest electronic/dance music to the core but they love Jilted Generation. So I guess that in itself is worthy of respect.

Keeping it real!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdNS6QYwdQ&feature=related

Loving the crowd footage around the 3 minute mark, and the mic'd up bongo's

double edit...

this was pretty damn punk, playing in Moscow in 1997 to a capacity crowd in red square!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHo8_P_H7y0&feature=related

Richard plays better than Liam in keyboards.

Really? I've never seen any footage of either of them playing live keyboards.

Listen The Prodigy & listen Aphex Twin, & u'll C the difference! Richard's musical complexity gets better with regard to what plays Liam... Imagine Richard's partitions/scores and partitions/scores of Liam: big 1 difference but if u r not a musician I can't help u more...

You're talking about composition ability rather than performance skill though. Melodically I wouldn't say RDJ is amazing though—his compositions certainly aren't very complex, apart from the drum programming. Sure, he can write really gorgeous melodies, but they're still pretty simple when you think about it.

I don't think it's a stretch to say The Prodigy were the Sex Pistols for the "Jilted Generation" (Playstation generation) [if only because the Sex Pistols weren't really genuinely punk were they... more of an image/aesthetic than anything 'political'] - and it was huge

I don't necessarily think the comparison in the title is solid, I meant more to draw attention to the fact that their early music was all made on hardware similar to what James was using, and that Howlett is similarly a single minded producer who pulled all of his tracks from the depths of his mind.

I do genuinely think that there are moments on the first two Prodigy albums which reach very high peaks of musical artistry/creativity. I'm not saying it's introspective music, but there are some deep things going on in tracks like Speedway and Your Love, etc. There is a spiritual quality to the music, and also certain elements are clearly rather abstract.

I can get down with the gist of this post.

The only thing really, is that there was a shit ton of breaks-based music released in the early 90s which sounded like the prodigy. Nobody sounds like Aphex.

Guest sljiva

The only thing really, is that there was a shit ton of breaks-based music released in the early 90s which sounded like the prodigy. Nobody sounds like Aphex.

Maybe in the Experience era, but MFTJG stuff sounds pretty much unique.

Why does he has those two weird guys by his side? I always thought the main guy was the firestarta (this guy --Picture2-78.png)

thats keith, he is an mc.

There is also maxim reality, the black dude, also an mc.

Leeroy is the other one, just a dancer. He left for a while but came back with them.

Back in the day, sharkey was with them for a bit too

I don't think it's a stretch to say The Prodigy were the Sex Pistols for the "Jilted Generation" (Playstation generation) [if only because the Sex Pistols weren't really genuinely punk were they... more of an image/aesthetic than anything 'political'] - and it was huge

I don't necessarily think the comparison in the title is solid, I meant more to draw attention to the fact that their early music was all made on hardware similar to what James was using, and that Howlett is similarly a single minded producer who pulled all of his tracks from the depths of his mind.

I do genuinely think that there are moments on the first two Prodigy albums which reach very high peaks of musical artistry/creativity. I'm not saying it's introspective music, but there are some deep things going on in tracks like Speedway and Your Love, etc. There is a spiritual quality to the music, and also certain elements are clearly rather abstract.

The only thing really, is that there was a shit ton of breaks-based music released in the early 90s which sounded like the prodigy. Nobody sounds like Aphex except Venetian Snares

fixed :cisfor:

Richard plays better than Liam in keyboards.

Really? I've never seen any footage of either of them playing live keyboards.

Listen The Prodigy & listen Aphex Twin, & u'll C the difference! Richard's musical complexity gets better with regard to what plays Liam... Imagine Richard's partitions/scores and partitions/scores of Liam: big 1 difference but if u r not a musician I can't help u more...

You're talking about composition ability rather than performance skill though. Melodically I wouldn't say RDJ is amazing though—his compositions certainly aren't very complex, apart from the drum programming. Sure, he can write really gorgeous melodies, but they're still pretty simple when you think about it.

OMG!! Yes, if u translate his music directly with ur instrument... same thing 4 Liam... But play with both hands on keyboard(s) by putting in it full of notes in the continuation... so that it has no bad agreement or no dissonances... or play on guitar, or on a saxophone, whatever! I did'nt ask u 2 take back the notes of a melody, but the whole track! u'll c a difference... And then shit, I pass in the other thing, I don't care, that intoxicates me this bullshit in the long run... Peace & B Wild & bye!

Well, it came out wrong I guess. My point is that as far as melodic content goes, both are probably on the same level when it comes to complexity. Just that RDJ's melodies tend to be prettier/more soulful or something.

I'm not even gonna try to decode what Anchio is saying, sorry :sad:

Well, it came out wrong I guess. My point is that as far as melodic content goes, both are probably on the same level when it comes to complexity. Just that RDJ's melodies tend to be prettier/more soulful or something.

complexity should never be a factor when it comes to music, bands like dream theater made that point nice and clear.

i think this was the first acid line i heard when i was young.

i went on to see them do the poison tour, then orbital and apex twin richard d james tour. all when i was at school and about 16.

so as you can see prodigy started all for me

complexity should never be a factor when it comes to music, bands like dream theater made that point nice and clear.

I agree, but I was actually referencing Anchio's point about "Richard's musical complexity gets better with regard to what plays Liam".

Archived