IGNORED

WHY isn't LIAM HOWLETT ranked alongside RDJ? [ the Prodigy ]

vamos scorcho

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was definately a pioneer in the Breakbeat/Hardcore genre. Jilted is a masterpiece and one of the best Electronic albums of the 90`s. Shame he peaked so early though.

One of my favourites.

i think liam's tunes were alright, up to fat of the land anyway...but they are in no way in the same league as rdj in terms of originality, emotion or innovation imo

Is Aphex even ranked that much higher outside of places like WATMM? Most music people I know who are aware of RDJ dig some of his tracks but don't consider him Spacemusic Jesus, which is about the same as how they'd react to the Prodg

rdj is extremely well regarded amongst a whole host of musicians and professionals from classical composers to movie directors so yeah, i think he's ranked quite highly by a lot of people.

Guest dean789

The Prodigy sounds pretty generic by today's standards. Doesn't seemed to have aged particularly well.

And RDJ has?

He looks ok for 40 and still has a full head of hair

Im pretty sure if you asked a bunch of people that weren't on an Aphex Twin message board, you'd get a reply to the effect of "Who the fuck is Richard?" and "The prodigy are awesome!".

Something like that.

Guest sljiva

It's a taste issue. MFTJG is technically as good as anything RDJ has done to that point. Some people get turned off by guitar riffs, vocal samples and big beats The Prodigy were not shy to employ, but they were in essence a high energy dance band and it was all done in a masterful and tasteful way, almost cheesyless. Liam might have not have a variety of Richard (or he was not interested in doing ambient, etc.), but he was impeccable in his own little niche of music.

Don't forget that up until The Fat Of The Land, Liam was still sequencing everything (and I mean everything) from Roland W-30s.

At least that's what he tells people.

I just think that's pretty awesome.

my 5 favourite producers of all time: aphex, squarepusher, optical, king tubby and liam howlett

experience and jilted are the work of a genius, no doubt.

Archived