IGNORED

Artists Similar To Pantha Du Prince?

Guest interr0bangr

Guest interr0bangr

I've always been an IDM kinda guy. I frequently dabble in acid, electro, synth-pop, instrumental hip-hop and other electronic sub genres but my numerous attempts at getting into techno have always left me bored out of my mind.

Pantha Du Prince is just about the only "techno" artist that I've ever thoroughly and consistently enjoyed as it seems there's so much more "depth" and "life" to his music than anything else in the genre. It helps that it often errs on the side of IDM/ambient anyways so it's not really much of a stretch for me to wrap my ears around. Anyways, I recently listened to Christian Löffler ‎– A Forest and to say it sounds like a Pantha Du Prince album is putting it lightly...but this is a good thing.

Is there anything else I should be listening to in the same vein?

Guest interr0bangr

I should say that I also love a good chunk of releases from Border Community which also often toe the line of IDM/ambient/downtempo haze and techno, so more in that nature is A-OK as well. :)

If you can filter past the ubiquitous Burial and afx/boc/ae releases, discogs is a pretty good resource for what you're looking for, e.g. -

http://www.discogs.com/release/recommendations/2119371

The Field, Gui Boratto, Apparat, Four Tet, and Mount Kimbie are all worth checking out if you haven't already.

Guest interr0bangr

I spend probably 5 hours a day on Discogs already, in fact I already posted this exact thread there too. :P

I've never been huge into The Field and Gui Boratto quality is wierdly inconsistant but I do love me some Mount Kimbie and older Apparat/Four Tet.

Not exactly techno but, Ezekiel Honig seems to go along well with some Pantha Du Prince

also:

MM/KM (Mix Mup & Kassem Mosse)

Nalepa

Agreed Pantha Du Prince is wicked (lol at the term wicked, haven't used that for a few years).

Minimal techno I alwayss think of Plastikman and the Lp Consumed (which is a classic)

Lawrence, Efdermin and Domink Eulberg all do a nice line in minimal techno.

Efdemin*

Lastfm's recommended for Pantha Du Prince list mentions those producers immediately, so hopefully a few more leads are there.

I've never been huge into The Field and Gui Boratto quality is wierdly inconsistant but I do love me some Mount Kimbie and older Apparat/Four Tet.

Yeah it's hard to pin down certain producers whose work varies, even when it's all good, like Apparat and Four Tet. The Field is interesting but his "novelty" production methods kinda wear thin quickly and loop a bit too much, I can never listen to him that often. Pantha does microhouse/minimal quite well, more melodic than say Plastikman or Villalobos but not too heavy on being upbeat and poppy.

Moderat (Apparat + Modeselektor)

Trentemoller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgoeCxAW7SI

I think Kompakt has more comparable releases than those by Field and Gui Boratto, like Superpitcher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsC5Ecy5vio

• 4 weeks later...

Nothing is really similar to Pantha du Prince in my opinion (aside from the new Christian Loffler album, very similar). There are albums that have a similar mood like the early Lawrence albums on Dial and the Today mix album by Superpitcher, but it's hard to find similar artists because PdP uses quite a unique set of sounds (with all the chimes and bells).

The first Trentemoller album operates on a similar level - I see someone posted a Youtube link to the whole album up there - as I mentioned previous the first couple of Lawrence albums released on the same label as PdP, in particular the self-titled debut and 'The Absence of Blight'. Superpitcher (who is my favourite producer/artist) has a similar romantic appeal and although his music is not that similar, if you like Pantha du Prince it's quite probable you'll like Superpitcher. One particular track is "Happiness Lawrence Remix":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0SaZ46uGNU

Love this second part to Tomorrow:

Also this is by Superpitcher (and Rebolledo) and has been making huge waves in the dance scene. It has over 500K views on Youtube which is pretty mental for something that was only released on a limited run of 300 by a sub-label of Kompakt. Nice track and, again, in a similar mood/style to Pantha du Prince but without sounding the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwG3KlGw11g&feature=related

• 3 months later...
Guest interr0bangr

Come across Rone - Tohu Bohu today and it's exactly what I've been looking for. Highly recommended for anyone who's into meloncholic and melodic techno.

[youtubehd]6AIxe4NCR1o[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]gCQnL7FDzxA[/youtubehd]

Guest facades

If you've liked the Christian Loffler album, you might enjoy the recent releases on Acid Test, Recondite's "on acid" and Tin Man's "Neo neo acid". This is melancholic / melodic kind of minimal techno, and I find these records very close to Christian Loffler, in an emotionnal way (note sure if it makes sense)..

mike dehnert, donato dozzy, mike parker, shed, peter van hoesen, ozka, motor city drum ensemble, anton zap, brawther, burnski, baaz.

its fascinating, ive always found the opposite. techno and house is filled with so much more vitality, groove, and passion than any idm shit, which (with notable exceptions) always sounds very computerized and inhumane to me.

Seconding the Ezekiel Honing mention.

While not like Pantha Du Prince, The Sight Below did go on tour with him and is definitely "atmospheric, emotional, moody techno".

Another not exactly similar but still amazing artist that works in the "melodic minimal techno" sphere is Jan Jelinek. His album from 2001, "Loop-Finding-Jazz-Records" is just sublime. I'm sure the majority here are aware of this classic but for those that aren't (like I was not until recently) it is extremely recommended.

Archived