IGNORED

Entering the World of Smartphones

eugene

Guest Mirezzi

flol at the last several posts...I'm not blaming Google, but the 3 month product cycle is precisely why I didn't go back to Android after the first go-round.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL, I wouldn't bat an eye if I saw any of those generated names on an actual phone.

indeed, they are scarily acurate.

flol at the last several posts...I'm not blaming Google, but the 3 month product cycle is precisely why I didn't go back to Android after the first go-round.

what?

Jelly Bean comes out next month. Ice Cream Sandwich came out last November. Gingerbread was just over a year before that.

How is that a 3 month product cycle?

Unless I'm just reading you wrong, and you're talking about other manufacturers and their incessant handsets coming out that have ancient versions of Android on them

I'm using a Samsung Intercept and for the most part it's reliable. Some things I don't like about it:

-Not enough memory built into the phone (I don't even have a lot of apps on my phone but lately I get messages like once a week saying my phone's capacity is full)

-I've had major problems connecting my phone to a computer via USB. 90% of the time my phone doesn't recognize the connection

-battery life could be better

-like once a month the phone overheats and starts to act weird and I have to let the battery cool off before starting it again

i had one of these and it was the worst. almost unusably slow for me. all i was running on it was like, facebook and a mood tracker app or something. upgraded to an LG Optimus Elite which is fucking incredible in comparison. only $150 and it runs just fine. tiny and light, too. no front facing camera or light sensor, which is kind of an annoyance, but for a cheap, contract free phone that has unlimited 3g data for $35 a month, i'm incredibly happy with it.

LG-Optimus-Elite_1.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look into this phone.

I'm not blaming Google, but the 3 month product cycle is precisely why I didn't go back to Android after the first go-round.

what?

Jelly Bean comes out next month. Ice Cream Sandwich came out last November. Gingerbread was just over a year before that.

Unless I'm just reading you wrong, and you're talking about other manufacturers and their incessant handsets coming out that have ancient versions of Android on them

Was thinking the same thing, you wrote it more eloquently than I was managing to though.

I'm not blaming Google, but the 3 month product cycle is precisely why I didn't go back to Android after the first go-round.

what?

Was thinking the same thing, you wrote it more eloquently than I was managing to though.

think you messed up a quote there man - azatoth didn't say that :beer:

iPhones don't have widgets ffs. They also completely lack the concept of a home screen, which means you have to wade past all the apps you barely use just to find the one app you use all the time that's filed under S.

In closing, iPhones suck for customization.

I'm not sure what you mean by widgets, but you can group apps into folders on iphones.

In closing, you can jailbreak your iPhone and customize it to your heart's content.

You wouldn't know what widgets are if you're using an iPhone. Widgets are apps that run on your home screens that are semi-interactive and give you information immediately without opening any apps.

As far as this being a war of superiority well that makes no sense because in the end the important thing is to get the phone you will prefer.

That being said, there's no debating that you can customize an Android FAR more than you can with an iPhone.

Product, not OS. Yeah, I mean manufacturers, hence not "blaming Google."

fair enough :beer:

yeah, the manufacturers were getting ridiculous. HTC have said they're gonna calm it down a bit, but then they brought out the HTC One line....which defies it's name, since it's a range of 3 handsets :cat:

as a slight on Google - they really need to sort something out regarding the supposed Android Upgrade Alliance, that should already have been in motion by now.

the update situation for many users is understandably fucking frustrating

iPhones don't have widgets ffs. They also completely lack the concept of a home screen, which means you have to wade past all the apps you barely use just to find the one app you use all the time that's filed under S.

In closing, iPhones suck for customization.

I'm not sure what you mean by widgets, but you can group apps into folders on iphones.

In closing, you can jailbreak your iPhone and customize it to your heart's content.

You wouldn't know what widgets are if you're using an iPhone. Widgets are apps that run on your home screens that are semi-interactive and give you information immediately without opening any apps.

As far as this being a war of superiority well that makes no sense because in the end the important thing is to get the phone you will prefer.

That being said, there's no debating that you can customize an Android FAR more than you can with an iPhone.

I don't have an iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. It's a question of economics.

http://www.redmondpie.com/top-must-have-dashboard-x-widgets-for-iphone-ipad-ipod-touch/

Guest disparaissant

-Not enough memory built into the phone (I don't even have a lot of apps on my phone but lately I get messages like once a week saying my phone's capacity is full)

-I've had major problems connecting my phone to a computer via USB. 90% of the time my phone doesn't recognize the connection

-battery life could be better

-like once a month the phone overheats and starts to act weird and I have to let the battery cool off before starting it again

also just ftr you can free up a lot of memory by rooting and installing titanium backup and moving non-system stuff over to the SD card.

but that's a pain in the ass.

i think that's another thing that android is good for. making shitty phones vaguely bearable.

What's wrong with lots of variety in the phone marketplace? Sounds like an apple person concerned that their single iteration every annum will get drowned out by the crowd. Which it will and mores the pity. Apple are patent troll cuntbags.

Sure your new phone will no longer be considered the latest model as soon as you buy it. But that's technology baby, and it's accelerating, yippy! It meant i could cheaply buy my galaxy ace which contains features that a couple of years prior were high end.

It'll be interesting to see if the explosion in range of smartphone hardware in the market-place will mirror that of the video game hardware explosion [and then crash] of '83/'84

wow Apple actually got the injunction to ban US sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. First their tablet, now this. C'mon Apple, get over it, yes they ripped of your design but so has pretty much every other smart phone on the market!

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/29/apple-wins-injunction-barring-u-s-sales-of-samsung-galaxy-nexus-phone/

It's a software thing, not hardware design (if you were aiming for that kind of design...)

In handing down her ruling, Judge Koh cited U.S Patent No. U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604 regarding Siri voice commands and unified search functionality first levied against the Google and Samsung flagship handset by Apple in February.

http://www.appleinsi...smartphone.html

hehe

Ima get an HTC One V tomorrow, anyone got any experience with it? I just want an Android 4 phone beneath €300, excessive to pay more for a phone imo. Maybe if someone can convince me to pay more, I'll change my mind..

It's a software thing, not hardware design (if you were aiming for that kind of design...)

In handing down her ruling, Judge Koh cited U.S Patent No. U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604 regarding Siri voice commands and unified search functionality first levied against the Google and Samsung flagship handset by Apple in February.

http://www.appleinsi...smartphone.html

Just further evidence that the US patent system is totally fucked.

It'll be interesting to see if the explosion in range of smartphone hardware in the market-place will mirror that of the video game hardware explosion [and then crash] of '83/'84

Not unless Apple (Atari) starts glutting the market they dominate with utter crap...

• 1 month later...

Archived