IGNORED

Vinyl records mount comeback

syd syside

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

home 3d printing is gonna make that possible pretty quick. as long as its recyclable i'll be doing it. no paying anybody to "own" the tunes, no $20 price tags... that's my kinda vinyl.

• 9 months later...

I think Eugene's logic is pretty valid, although another aspect of vinyl is buying used copies directly from other collectors and trading. If you're into decades old music you could build a collection without the need for new materials (except for packaging materials if you receive through the post [i often recycle this stuff anyway when I next send something]). In many cases with less sought after music you're preventing these records going to landfill.

as to the second part of that article, i dont think the dubstep sales halfing has anything to do with format, more a gradual disdain that grown around dubstep over the last few years because it morphed into some of the most awful music of modern times.

The vinyl v digital arguments have been going on for as long as I can remember, but I've never seen the argument that vinyl enthusiasts are heartless environment polluters, that's a new one.

At a very basic level, it's true. Thing is, if you live in any part of the developed world you've got a pretty big environmental footprint however you cut it (I think 50 years from now people will look back in horror at the sheer amount of packaging we use). Most people realise this and try to moderate their behaviour to various small degrees. Occasionally buying stuff you want, but don't actually need is something everyone does though, whether it's a record, a book or a new computer. This is a compromise even the most eco-friendly person will have to accept from time to time. Buying a record is not morally equivalent to fox-hunting or whatever, any more than sitting at a computer ripping off mp3s from your favourite artists makes you an eco-warrior.

The vinyl v digital arguments have been going on for as long as I can remember, but I've never seen the argument that vinyl enthusiasts are heartless environment polluters, that's a new one.

At a very basic level, it's true. Thing is, if you live in any part of the developed world you've got a pretty big environmental footprint however you cut it (I think 50 years from now people will look back in horror at the sheer amount of packaging we use). Most people realise this and try to moderate their behaviour to various small degrees. Occasionally buying stuff you want, but don't actually need is something everyone does though, whether it's a record, a book or a new computer. This is a compromise even the most eco-friendly person will have to accept from time to time. Buying a record is not morally equivalent to fox-hunting or whatever, any more than sitting at a computer ripping off mp3s from your favourite artists makes you an eco-warrior.

it's actually exactly the same as fox hunting, it's indulging in a superficial habit that you can easily do without to detriment of environment. of course the outcome is of different force but the principle behind is the same. you can't properly function without a computer in this era but you can consume music in a more eco-friendly way.

Foxhunting has the whole 'excitement from the death of an animal' thing tied in as well, that's why it's not the best analogy.

Buying a record is closer to...say...buying a picture for your wall. You don't strictly need it, you could print out a picture on A4 and stick it up there, saving wood. At the same time, I'm not going to judge someone buying a picture frame as the same as someone killing animals or driving around in a hummer. It's just not a sensible comparison.

i had fox hunting for fur in mind. just like we don't need to kill animals for clothing anymore, we don't need to produce physical copies of music. of course i understand that there's that prestige and high fashion bullshit associated with real fox fur just like there's that hipsterish thing with vinyl and the whole "singular listening experience that you can't achieve by listening to digital", but the essential products, clothing and music, are reproduced perfectly with new more environmentally friendlier technologies.

printed picture is not a good example as it's very far from perfect reproduction unlike music in digital format compared to vinyl. if we could reproduce art via printing with such ease and fidelity as it's possible with music it would be a better analogy of course.

of course it's not comparable in actual effect, i mean if fox killing was -250 points of damage to environment producing a vinyl would be something like -25 (it's silly but you get the idea), but the principle is the same, both are detrimental while there are good alternatives.

the question ultimately is whether the superficialities that surround music on vinyl (big artwork, "warm", crackly and sometimes warpy sound, the fact that you need like 8 of them to contain a double album and so on) are worth the environmental sacrifice.

the question ultimately is whether the superficialities that surround music on vinyl (big artwork, "warm", crackly and sometimes warpy sound, the fact that you need like 8 of them to contain a double album and so on) are worth the environmental sacrifice.

lol, yes, this is exactly why vinyl is a desirable format for listening to music. i just love the "warpy" sound, silly!

• 3 years later...

Archived