IGNORED

RIP Sally Ride

Rubin Farr

jesus, what a cunt.

Hey now, jesus was alright for the most part.

i don't get how people can say that men are being oppressed by the homosexual/feminist agenda when the vast majority of countries on this planet are ruled by men who have no qualms with restricting the rights of queer individuals and females.

it's pathetic that, in 2012, most cultures still have not accepted equality of fellow human beings as the norm.

As usual, louis ck has it spot on - skip to about the 2:00 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG4f9zR5yzY

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, Jesus and Louis are kin. One could do and say magical shit, the other just says magical shit.

I tak ethat back, they both do magical shit.

And essines is hating on Jesus because Watain, Behemoth, and Burzum hate Jesus.

i really don't get the progressist argument some come up with in this thread. if i get it right, some of you are saying gays have more rights these days because society has evolved. correct me if i'm wrong

(progressive btw)

What people in this thread are saying is that gays should have the same rights as everyone else because there's no fucking reason to discriminate against them other than a very old book says that they are sinful.

Guest RandySicko

There is a reason. Can I just go and open a fast food chain, name it fucking "Burger King", demand the right to take their logo and start making shitty burgers which I call "Whoppers"? I could demand the "same rights" Burger King, but I don't think they would like that very much.

A symbol has value to the degree people feel it stands for something desirable. If it is attached to something dissimilar, its value is eroded. The hetero and homosexuals pushing the gay agenda want to help themselves to the symbolic symbol of marriage, which would dilute its value as a sacrament.

Here is the solution:

1) Find your own symbol

2) Earn your own fucking value.

On second thought.. I have it all wrong. Lets degrade the value of marriage for the pleasure of homosexuals!!! Even if it means something to the Catholics... something which includes sex and marriage being exclusive to males and females. Thats what it means to them. Fuck em! Procreawhaaat?

You're all fucked.

Catholics are the only people who should be allowed to get married.

... to the kids they're fucking :emotawesomepm9:

LOL

If marriage were only a religious ceremony that Christians invented then maybe bits of that would be even remotely comprehensible. The problem is that marriage is a legal contract as well, that grants those involved in the contract certain legal and economic rights. So either we strip all legal aspects out of marriage and it just becomes a symbolic ceremony or we grant everyone those legal rights.

LOL

If marriage were only a religious ceremony that Christians invented then maybe bits of that would be even remotely comprehensible. The problem is that marriage is a legal contract as well, that grants those involved in the contract certain legal and economic rights. So either we strip all legal aspects out of marriage and it just becomes a symbolic ceremony or we grant everyone those legal rights.

This is what it's about.

People with any semblance of intelligence give fuckall about the symbolism that is attached to a legal contract by some deluded idiots.

Well I know we all to put up our defenses when talking about beliefs. At least with strangers.

I guess my only question is, why do you think the rest of the bible has any validity when it is not directly speaking about Jesus? Yahweh was cruel in the old testament. Yes life is cruel as well. This doesn't make how the god(s) in the old testament acted okay. Especially with the golden rule being the best law to ever be created.

There are so many other holy books(Tao Te Ching, Gospel of Thomas, Bhagavad Gita, The Vedas) out there as well, written a long time ago by brilliant men being influenced by the universe. This is my opinion. I don't expect you to feel the way as I do.

Because of the golden rule though, I do expect you to respect what I believe and respect the will of others to live as they want to as long as they are not harming other people.

yes, yes, and yes. well said atop

lol

the idea of monogamous marriage wasn't really a christian thing until charlemagne

so get it right sicko

1200 years and falling apart at the seams

pure logic

way to shit up a thread about a great lady

It's baffling how inconsistent, contradictory, and flat-out hypocritical the historical aspects of marriage have been and yet somehow the "sanctity of marriage" is still treated as a valid argument and same-sex marriage and same-sex benefits. The whole concept of two people entering into a marriage for love, not a property agreement, nor a social class or family dictated arrangement, not a legal contract that allows them to procreate with government recognition, etc. is quite a recent one.

I've merely skimmed over the "debate" aspects of this thread, but I will say this, any argument that there is an overpowering and unfair "gay agenda" is absolute fucking delusional hyperbole. Gay and lesbian couples are being specifically targeted through NEW LAWS in various states. They're having rights to adopt children, share spousal rights, live together legally prohibited by the same right-wing shitheads who claim to be "anti-big government freedom defenders." There's are gay rights advocacy groups because that community is getting bullied by our own fucking government, so yeah there is a "gay agenda" and it's essentially "leave us alone, and treat us fairly."

Yup. That's great if the symbolism of marriage (w/ a history of treating women as men's property, btw) gives you ooey, gooey, baby-makin' feelings. Nobody outside a cult/religion gives a fuck.

Equal means equal and that is the "agenda", elitist pricks. If teh gays in permanent relationships don't deserve tax breaks, visitation rights, sharing health care plans, neither do Mister and Missus McGodfearin'.

I don't want to sound to cheesy or wax poetic about how important Sally Ride is as the first American woman in space, or the first acknowledged LGBT astronaut, but I will say this: Sally Ride was the first astronaut I knew by name. I remember books about her and Christine McAuliffe specifically when I was in elementary school, long before I knew everything about the Mercury seven, Yuri Gagarin, Valentina Tereshkova, the test pilot Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, etc. My long-held interest in space and aviation exploration started with hearing the story of her. She was an astronaut. As a kid, that fact wasn't attached to some pre-conceived notion that it was strange or unusual that she was not a man. That's something a generation or two before me didn't have. I hope that's especially the case when my kids are growing up. I hope when they learn about Sally Ride, the fact that she was also a gay woman will be an simple fact, not something to downplay or necessarily preach about specifically. She'll just be a hero like she was for myself and others.

I guess I did get all Tom Brokow-y melodramatic about it after all, sorry.

I don't want to sound to cheesy or wax poetic about how important Sally Ride is as the first American woman in space, or the first acknowledged LGBT astronaut, but I will say this: Sally Ride was the first astronaut I knew by name. I remember books about her and Christine McAuliffe specifically when I was in elementary school, long before I knew everything about the Mercury seven, Yuri Gagarin, Valentina Tereshkova, the test pilot Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, etc. My long-held interest in space and aviation exploration started with hearing the story of her. She was an astronaut. As a kid, that fact wasn't attached to some pre-conceived notion that it was strange or unusual that she was not a man. That's something a generation or two before me didn't have. I hope that's especially the case when my kids are growing up. I hope when they learn about Sally Ride, the fact that she was also a gay woman will be an simple fact, not something to downplay or necessarily preach about specifically. She'll just be a hero like she was for myself and others.

that's really beautiful. thank you.

Guest disparaissant

you know what, same here.

and thank you for saying it. this thread veered way off topic well before i got here and i came in here to say something along these lines, but ended up seeing some asshat shit up the thread with his idiotic opinions on gay marriage.

this is what it's all about.

she was a huge inspiration to me. between her space stuff and carl sagan's cosmos, i got way into astronomy when i was a kid. i didn't end up going that route but it's an interest i hold to this day.

this is my last comment on this, Sally inspired a generation, including a huge number of women. Since her first flight, the number of women in physics and engineering has doubled, and hard sciences are finally seeing women pursue those degrees in larger numbers. That she kept her sexuality in the closet until her death is incidental, and may be a sign that homophobia obviously still exists in our military and space programs.

She was a hero. That's all that matters.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/measuring-womens-progress-science-sally-rides-flight

My thoughts exactly. My formative interest in science was probably influenced by Sally and Christine more than anyone else. I was tiny, but those were the first "scientific" names I knew, and let's just say January 28, 1986 might be a foggy, jumbled, four and a half-year old kid's memory, but I remember watching, and being scared and sad; and the rest of the '80s, when memories start to come into sharper focus, was shaped in large part by learning about those two, and in Sally's case, learning from her, through a ratty copy of To Space and Back.

I'm sick of this lawyer bullshit. I want to rewind 20 years and make sure I grow up to be an astronaut.

Guest Frankie5fingers

finally, back on track. you know, she, along with a couple others, was probably the reason why i've always been interested in space. reading about her and the other astronauts going into space was so fucking cool as a kid. so i guess you could say that shes one of the reason that im currently getting a degree in aerospace engineering.

so thanks Sally, for sparking my interest in space.

Archived