IGNORED

Death Grips Drama

J3FF3R00

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

people should be able to look deeper at those french fries rather than just seeing some french fries

lol but seriously change that shit

I like Zach's interviews. Everytime I read his rambling I'm reminded of my own manic days. I get why he might come across as pretentious to some, but to me he just seems genuinely nutty, in a way that I think is conducive to making interesting music. I applaud his grandiose and vague ideas. I just hope they can follow through with some of them.

I like Zach's interviews. Everytime I read his rambling I'm reminded of my own manic days. I get why he might come across as pretentious to some, but to me he just seems genuinely nutty, in a way that I think is conducive to making interesting music. I applaud his grandiose and vague ideas. I just hope they can follow through with some of them.

Exactly. He doesn't seem pretentious at all, like in an art fag sort of way. Just a little tapped. OK, really tapped.

keltoi please change your avatar mang

people should be able to look deeper at those french fries rather than just seeing some french fries

lol but seriously change that shit

that's the problem, I can't stop seeing the other thing it originally was!

the cummayonnaise doesn't help

come on keltoi!

please note the lack of comma

I like the avatar. keep it.

:cry:

LOL

this interview is plain hard to read, these guys have their heads pretty far up their asses. Just make some fucking music.

i agree. the more i read what these guys have to say, i like them a little less. the problem i have with them is that they sound like they've carefully constructed an image of what they want people to perceive them as instead of just being themselves.

We've talked about having someone that's the face of the band, but not necessarily in the band. Really far-out things, breaking the mold of "rock band" or "rap group." Something we did bring up to the label was the idea of putting multiple representations of our band on tour at one time, but none of us are actually there. Like, there is five Death Grips. You send these people out-- if they are even people, or projections or holograms. Having these events that are like your world, happening simultaneously, touring the world.

basically, they wanted to do a doomposter, and they're wondering why the label didn't get that?

We've talked about having someone that's the face of the band, but not necessarily in the band. Really far-out things, breaking the mold of "rock band" or "rap group." Something we did bring up to the label was the idea of putting multiple representations of our band on tour at one time, but none of us are actually there. Like, there is five Death Grips. You send these people out-- if they are even people, or projections or holograms. Having these events that are like your world, happening simultaneously, touring the world.

basically, they wanted to do a doomposter, and they're wondering why the label didn't get that?

gorillaz?

I really don't understand why you guys think their interviews are so bad. They just seem a bit crazy, but actually not that pretentious.

They talk as if the art is supposed to speak for itself and all this crazy shit like its a social movement when, imo, the music doesn't speak that loudly and I don't really see them as too unique when you pick apart the elements that make their music. The part about how the cock was the cover and how people were supposed to be able to 'see past it to the bigger statement' is a pretty perfect example of how they are pretentious and pretty unhinged.

I can make blabber meanings to my music too-- I think my beats are a post-cromagnon amalgamation of raw energy and have a unique palpable integrity of rythmic structure... plus I'm inspired by a card game... that is why I'm not signed to a major label and will fuck people after they give me a chance and trust me to be an adult about my business indeavors... they don't 'get' me or my art.

On a side note, when he mentioned 'the silk road' and other entry level internet source boards it made me think of that horrid Belgian 'acid' distributed thru those sights... that stuff will make you say/think the way Zach shows in his interviews.

Like I said in my post before, they should stfu and do what they are talking about thru their hobo yelling over heavy beats schtick.

The part about how the cock was the cover and how people were supposed to be able to 'see past it to the bigger statement'...

I agree that it seems pretty silly to try and interpret something significant or deep out of the NLDW cover. I'm not gonna look at a giant pink dick and think "wow, I wonder what this means". it's a dick. however it does make you think about the intentions and mental states of the people behind that decision, so there is that. it's not entirely devoid of meaning.

I disagree with most of the remainder of your post. people have a right to talk about their work how they see fit, just as much as you have a right to ignore it if you think it's stupid/pretentious. I admit I didn't read that whole article because it's bloody long and I got a bored halfway through, but neither will I wish them to just stfu and play their music without expressing their thoughts and feelings on it.

I was just pointing out how it was pretentious. Squarepusher does the same mumbo jamblo in his interviews and it makes me lol as well. I never said they don't have the right to or that they shouldn't. Its just that IMO they should let the music speak, that's all, just opinion :)

Guest RadarJammer

I'd be tempted to think this is a contrived pretentious put on but I kind of think that a sane and collected person probably wouldn't publicly say a lot of the stuff they are saying, it seems like uninhibited neurosis with a side of regular boring douche.

(how the fuck do I get rid of this quote box? -gmanyo)

The part about how the cock was the cover and how people were supposed to be able to 'see past it to the bigger statement'...

I agree that it seems pretty silly to try and interpret something significant or deep out of the NLDW cover. I'm not gonna look at a giant pink dick and think "wow, I wonder what this means". it's a dick. however it does make you think about the intentions and mental states of the people behind that decision, so there is that. it's not entirely devoid of meaning.

I disagree with most of the remainder of your post. people have a right to talk about their work how they see fit, just as much as you have a right to ignore it if you think it's stupid/pretentious. I admit I didn't read that whole article because it's bloody long and I got a bored halfway through, but neither will I wish them to just stfu and play their music without expressing their thoughts and feelings on it.

I was just pointing out how it was pretentious. Squarepusher does the same mumbo jamblo in his interviews and it makes me lol as well. I never said they don't have the right to or that they shouldn't. Its just that IMO they should let the music speak, that's all, just opinion :)

oh yeah lol squarepusher does do that. I do think that their music has some pretty sweet lyrics though, and they do convey a lot of meaning. Lost Boys has some really cool and socially progressive lyrics.

On top of this, I really think that they are original. "If you look at their roots" makes little sense; Aphex Twin isn't original if you look at his roots. Nobody is. But I've actually heard very little like Death Grips; maybe

(underrated band, check them out). There was also some techno band with the word "Animal" in their name (I think) that someone showed me that sounded like Death Grips, but the name escapes me. That's about it. I hear people saying "it's unoriginal", but man if it's unoriginal then I must be way out of the loop.

I'd be tempted to think this is a contrived pretentious put on but I kind of think that a sane and collected person probably wouldn't publicly say a lot of the stuff they are saying, it seems like uninhibited neurosis with a side of regular boring douche.

lol

I'd feel a lot better about Death Grips if Death Grips said "We are sorry we didn't understand what a contract is and ultimately got those people fired, that was pretty stupid of us" rather than "We are sorry that when those people got fired it became more difficult for us to pitch stupid ideas to the record label."

They really went whole-hog into that Chataeu Marmont Entitled Douchebag with an Advance thing whilst claiming to be magickally subverting it. That's sort of the only thing that pisses me off about them.

L.A. Scumbagism is all-corrupting. Don't play with that shit, guys. Just make some goddamn music and stop staring at your dicks lest you become one.

This city really is a terrible place sometimes.

When they first got kicked off the lable I smelled publicity stunt, but now that I read the latest interviews I see their warped reasoning behind it and see that it was for real. They're cavemen, basically. But you have to admit it's interesting that the first track on their first album - Beware, hinted at it.

Archived