triachus

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, should be no bother. As I've mentioned before, if you're really not taking to the tiles look (I'm still not even a year down the line) then just bung on as I've done - http://www.classicshell.net/

It'll make it like a bug fixed, speedier 7 (well that's what I've been finding anyway)

Guest jasondonervan

Nice one. Lazy question: Do you know if I can just grab a boxed copy of W8 Standard, then upgrade to 8.1 for free? I don't need Pro, the extra features are irrelevant for me.

Yeah, the 8.1 is just a fancy pants way of meaning a service pack. When 8 is installed, you go to the Windows Store and there'll be a free update to 8.1

BTW - You can just install 8.0 over the top of 7 - you won't need to reinstall anything (though afterwards it might be advisable to see if there are any specific v8 drivers for your GFX card - usually they're the same as 7 but just in case !)

sorry i dont have time to read the 10pages, but i'm about to get a new laptop with windows8. I'm on windows vista right now but i have loads of freewares/open source softwares that are truly useful, will Windows8 allow me to use them ?

i know my question sounds dumb but i'm a bit worried about that new OS.

It's a valid concern - but honestly I had no issues. The *only* quirky thing that happened with my list of quirky old software was Cool Edit 2 refused to remain registered when I switched from Win8.0 to Win8.1 with an SSD-hybrid drive. Though I don't know if that was the update of the OS or HD that caused that mischief. But I'm talking early 00s-era software, if it works on Vista you should be fine.

At worst there's a 'compatibility' mode you can assign to each .exe (that might just be a 8.0 Pro thing though - to be honest I've never actually needed to use it)

Guest jasondonervan

Yeah, the 8.1 is just a fancy pants way of meaning a service pack. When 8 is installed, you go to the Windows Store and there'll be a free update to 8.1

BTW - You can just install 8.0 over the top of 7 - you won't need to reinstall anything (though afterwards it might be advisable to see if there are any specific v8 drivers for your GFX card - usually they're the same as 7 but just in case !)

Excellent, thank you for your help. I have an Nvidia GTX 680 so it's fine for latest drivers and such. I'm planning on popping down the shops and picking up a boxed copy of W8 Standard, it's £80 for a boxed copy compared to £100 for a download of 8.1 from Microsoft.

Got an Nvidia on mine too - and yeah all worked fine. So yeah, after you install it you just go the the Windows Store (the app rather than a website) and you should see the 8.1 update.

Aye cos OSs should look like sponsor-an-animal charity leaflets -

apple-os-x-snow-leopard-box-large.jpg

I got the OEM one direct from Microsoft (when it cost only £15) and it was just a small cardboard sleeve that looked like on the front and the same light blue on the back -

31IO8mhbVML._SY300_.jpg

Aye cos OSs should look like sponsor-an-animal charity leaflets -

apple-os-x-snow-leopard-box-large.jpg

I got the OEM one direct from Microsoft (when it cost only £15) and it was just a small cardboard sleeve that looked like on the front and the same light blue on the back -

31IO8mhbVML._SY300_.jpg

Oh, don't get me wrong - I cringed everytime I asked a Mac user which OS they were running - Mavericks doesn't help either. I wish they'd just go for a version number, ala iOS.

Archived