IGNORED

Disney buys Lucasfilm

Rubin Farr

149tsus.jpg

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Where's Kenny Baker? Poor guy already being made to get in the R2-D2 costume this early? FFS...

Well they gave him a nice crate to lurk in. Prime spot behind Ford and the director too.

I don't think he had many lines in the read thru

"Bleep! blerp! Zoink!"

Ok Kenny we're done with you you can go home now.

If I remember, he was only in one shot in Episode I, it was all RC

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the CG animation something that would have been built using an engine from 15 years ago with maybe a couple of patches. Looks fucking horrible. /keeps watching japanese animation cause clearly the US doesn't give a shit/has no hope obewan kenobi of caring about quality control or pride in output. /voice acting will probably be shudder inducing as well.

Guest bitroast

[youtubehd]_soLH5MWGOg[/youtubehd]

star wars: clone wars is a kids show, but it has some alright qualities.

in some regards, it can be a more successful piece of >entertainment< than the star wars prequels.

but,... it's still kids tv show that i can't really commit to watching in the long run.

after hearing that this new series is set between 3-4, with a visual style referencing the original trilogy, referring ralph macuarrie.

i mean, man! that sounds great.

but the more i see of it the more i realise, it's just another kids tv show that i'm probably not going to care about in the long run.

the main character looks about as cool as jak from jak and daxter 2.

20090809185012!Krimzon_Guard_Fortress_2.

Guest bitroast

YEAH NAH IT'S NO PROBLEM.

i don't know if it's still on, but for a good few weeks star wars clone wars was on every saturday on abc channel or something over here. like, 4 or 5 episodes back to back, a good 2 hours of it. every saturday afternoon.

i'd watch a bit every now and then and it's immensely enjoyable. i mean, if i was a kid i'd lose my shit over this show. without a doubt.

they sort of marketed the new show toward adults with the focus on original trilogy and name dropping ralph mcquarrie in press releases (which kid is going to give a shit about that??). i was tricked into thinking this would be more than a kid's show. i don't really mind that a kid show is just a kids show.

Ok let me rephrase this ;) , it's targeted towards men, whom are now in their 30's and 40's, who saw the original movies in theater, and are now asking their pre-teen kids to watch it with them. Hence the McQuarrie name-dropping and the more original trilogy feeling / setting.

Nostalgia sells.

Guest bitroast

Ok let me rephrase this ;) , it's targeted towards men, whom are now in their 30's and 40's, who saw the original movies in theater, and are now asking their pre-teen kids to watch it with them. Hence the McQuarrie name-dropping and the more original trilogy feeling / setting.

Nostalgia sells.

oh snap, good point.

never mind me.

It's on a Disney channel targeted to pre-teens FFS. Relax.

It wouldn't have been targeted at me if i was a preteen. Because i never liked things that looked visually like arse and were cheesy (i say the cheesy bit loosely, because when there's nothing else on and you crave animation, heh), written by adults that din care because 'what they hey, it's only preteens.' Especially when they've been promoting the hell out of this (to the adults and teenagers that they hope will watch it too) as some kind of amazing looking thing, when clearly from that video it isn't.

Full stop the star wars brand should stand for certain levels of quality, clearly that isn't where disney is coming from.

Guest bitroast

is there really anything to suggest rebels will have different level of quality than clone wars?

it's the exact same team behind it, but it's airing on different channel because of disney purchase, right??

There's rumours now that the girl from "12 Years A Slave" might have a role... Asajj Ventriss (from the Clone Wars cartoon). Thing is, the character is a pale white alien... the actress mentioned is black... very black. Hopefully they wouldn't make her wear makeup.

Why is the CG animation something that would have been built using an engine from 15 years ago with maybe a couple of patches. Looks fucking horrible. /keeps watching japanese animation cause clearly the US doesn't give a shit/has no hope obewan kenobi of caring about quality control or pride in output. /voice acting will probably be shudder inducing as well.

Lucas Animation is based in Singapore so don't blame us for shitty CG.

Lucas Animation is based in Singapore so don't blame us for shitty CG.

I've seen some of the awesome work that CG artists in singapore can do. Check out some of the free tutorials by fdz school for example.

I know that this is just a painting tute, but you know i really like this guy's demos. He talks the whole way through with interesting insight into what he's doing and about the industry. nwae, you couldn't have been serious because design choices were made in the US, they just farm the work out to other people. Asia from top to bottom has some serious talent going on in fantasy and sci-fi art.

Thing is, the character is a pale white alien... the actress mentioned is black... very black. Hopefully they wouldn't make her wear makeup.

not sure if you remember, but for the movie thor, idris elba was cast as heimdall, who is based on heimdallr, who is a norse god. as far as i know, norse god's were pale white (due to the region of europe where they were believed to be from).

Thing is, the character is a pale white alien... the actress mentioned is black... very black. Hopefully they wouldn't make her wear makeup.

not sure if you remember, but for the movie thor, idris elba was cast as heimdall, who is based on heimdallr, who is a norse god. as far as i know, norse god's were pale white (due to the region of europe where they were believed to be from).

That's a bit different - there was nothing in Heimdall's character that dictated he was white - he was white by default due to the mythological context of his creation (e.g.: a white society).

In this case, Asajj is an alien, whose defining features are her pale white skin, and is defined by her looks - making her have non-white skin would drastically change who the character was always represented to be.

There is precedent for this though - I saw Spiderman 2 over the weekend (ugh, cheesy as hell - mostly hated it), and Electro (played by Jamie Foxx) went from black nerd to glowly guy with black features.

The latest rumour is the title of Episode 7 is "The Ancient Fear". Not impressed if that is it - sounds like something Lucas would write, tbh.

Guest bitroast

That's a bit different - there was nothing in Heimdall's character that dictated he was white - he was white by default due to the mythological context of his creation (e.g.: a white society).

In this case, Asajj is an alien, whose defining features are her pale white skin, and is defined by her looks - making her have non-white skin would drastically change who the character was always represented to be.

There is precedent for this though - I saw Spiderman 2 over the weekend (ugh, cheesy as hell - mostly hated it), and Electro (played by Jamie Foxx) went from black nerd to glowly guy with black features.

The latest rumour is the title of Episode 7 is "The Ancient Fear". Not impressed if that is it - sounds like something Lucas would write, tbh.

It's abit straight forward isn't it. Not as curvy as A new hope, the empire strikes back, return of the jedi. They all have implications and historys to them. Even straight forward Attack of the clones has more flare then.. The ancient fear...

Sounds like a rejected Indiana jones title.

You can write all sorts of cool crap based on an ancient fear, with a universe already as old and deep, and all of it can cleanly skirt cannon because it will come out of left field. Out of everything to moan about with this potential mess this concept troubles me little. Of course just because i can think of thousands of conventional to far out ideas based around 'the ancient fear', that doesn't mean the usual hollywood mong scribes will have any luck prying the least bit of cool out of the same exercise.

And captain planet is green (blue?)

Don-Cheadle-is-Captain-Planet.jpg

It's abit straight forward isn't it. Not as curvy as A new hope, the empire strikes back, return of the jedi. They all have implications and historys to them. Even straight forward Attack of the clones has more flare then.. The ancient fear...

Sounds like a rejected Indiana jones title.

That's what worries me... it sounds like "The Phantom Menace"

The Ancient Evil = old Sith Lord most likely. Exar Kun? Freedon Nadd? Could be interesting...

Supposedly, the big bad is not a Sith/the Sith. Max Von Sydow's lending his voice talents to the villain - probably a CGI creation.

Archived