IGNORED

Speakers

Guest theSun

i've got a pretty big room with semi-vaulted ceilings. the sq ft is about 500-600 and the ceiling is about 15 ft tall at its highest point, with 2 alcoves for the skylights.

i've only had to fill up a small room with my PC speakers, or fill up a bar with a PA. i have no experience messing with sound in these medium-sized rooms. my PC speakers sound awful in this room, and i don't really want to put a PA in my living room.

i'm thinking freestanding will do the trick. don't really want the cheapest speakers, but i can't spend any more than $200-300 on the speakers themselves (i have a receiver). i don't really want to mess with a surround setup, i'm fine with 2 freestandings or a 2.1/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269036

thanks watmm, feel free to refer to another thread as this has likely been discussed extensively here.

i've got a pretty big room with semi-vaulted ceilings. the sq ft is about 500-600 and the ceiling is about 15 ft tall at its highest point, with 2 alcoves for the skylights.

i've only had to fill up a small room with my PC speakers, or fill up a bar with a PA. i have no experience messing with sound in these medium-sized rooms. my PC speakers sound awful in this room, and i don't really want to put a PA in my living room.

i'm thinking freestanding will do the trick. don't really want the cheapest speakers, but i can't spend any more than $200-300 on the speakers themselves (i have a receiver). i don't really want to mess with a surround setup, i'm fine with 2 freestandings or a 2.1/

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882269036

thanks watmm, feel free to refer to another thread as this has likely been discussed extensively here.

I would go for vintage speakers... Old cerwin's or better, old JBL's (1970s...). JBL L100t are great sounding speakers and have the power to fill a large room... And you can get them for a decent price.

i have a 300w cambridge audio amp with wharfdale diamonds 9.0s in my pretty enormous living room, and they sound great. nice, deep and filling.

yes, wharfs and canton are good speakers too, and you can find decent ones for a fair price quite often.

How's the echo in the room? It might be annoying to treat because of the high ceilings & funny shape, and if you're getting tons of reflections speaker choice is a small part of the battle. I bought 16 panels of foam for my bedroom and it's a much better room. The downside is it cost about as much as 1 of my monitors. But I don't regret it a bit (esp because I record in there too).

Archived