IGNORED

Vaporwave

Nebraska

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA93h26hHYE

hard to pick up, but vapors are definitely there. nuvapor

wow, that's mindblowing. so many absurd details. it's like the vapoury ease you'd expect, but also getting occasionally slapped in the face and laughed at.

what kind of accent is that, btw?

Edited by poblequadrat

Hi there [jump cut] to fry eggs [jump cut] I'm using this [axial cut] *unintelligible*: a non-stick pan [jump cut] but it works perfectly [disquieting zoom] and you'll see what I'm talking about

[cut to airplane arriving in san diego]

E x e c u t i v e P r o d u c e r : B R U N O A L B O U Z E

Edited by poblequadrat

Guest viniciuscabral

We can think that all has been done before. It's usually true! I would argue that vaporwave "innovates" in "source material" subject, but it's not entirely true, even though this "genre" is helping to spread a bunch of artist/songs/audiovisual material that were almost everywhere considered "trash". And, guess what? Maybe it's not trash after all. I think that the method, sample research and usage of the audio/video possibilities can very much bring vaporwave to a new kinda environment. For me, it sounds "avant guard", even though avant guard doesn't usually last as a "trend". It sets room for other things to come, by messing up and provoking reflections such as these.

In short, I don't believe that vaporwave is a "genre", as much as an experimental attempt to bring new soundscapes to the world. As long as it keeps musicians and producers thinking and trying new stuff, I think it's valid.

I have a vaporwave project btw

Guest viniciuscabral

It's good to escape from some of these vaporwave "clichês" I guess...lose some of the pitching for instance.

Guest viniciuscabral

I stumbled upon this on lastfm awhile back.

Just looks like cut and pasting of retro ads, music, and visuals with some Japanese characters (Dig those bookmark symbols this dude used in his names.) Or witchhouse but neon. Seapunk but with electronic appliance references.

Pure meta-oriented nonsense.

The lastfm description has to be pure trolling. If not, there's no fucking way this will become anything but a bunch of 20-somethings who don't actually remember the 80s or 90s taking a piss but trying to make it seem like some kinda "deep" post-post-post-post-post-postmodern artsy muzak. Like chillwave or witchhouse maybe (a huge maybe) some good producer will come out it and do something else, though honestly sounds like something plenty have already done (and re-done, and re-interpeted, etc) by earlier hauntology musicians: Lopatin, Ferraro, and Ariel Pink stateside and of course Ghostbox and others in the UK

Just looks like cut and pasting of retro ads, music, and visuals with some Japanese characters (Dig those bookmark symbols this dude used in his names.) Or witchhouse but neon. Seapunk but with electronic appliance references.

The lastfm description has to be pure trolling. If not, there's no fucking way this will become anything but a bunch of 20-somethings who don't actually remember the 80s or 90s taking a piss but trying to make it seem like some kinda "deep" post-post-post-post-post-postmodern artsy muzak. Like chillwave or witchhouse maybe (a huge maybe) some good producer will come out it and do something else, though honestly sounds like something plenty have already done (and re-done, and re-interpeted, etc) by earlier hauntology musicians: Lopatin, Ferraro, and Ariel Pink stateside and of course Ghostbox and others in the UK

We can think that all has been done before. It's usually true! I would argue that vaporwave "innovates" in "source material" subject, but it's not entirely true, even though this "genre" is helping to spread a bunch of artist/songs/audiovisual material that were almost everywhere considered "trash". And, guess what? Maybe it's not trash after all. I think that the method, sample research and usage of the audio/video possibilities can very much bring vaporwave to a new kinda environment. For me, it sounds "avant guard", even though avant guard doesn't usually last as a "trend". It sets room for other things to come, by messing up and provoking reflections such as these.

In short, I don't believe that vaporwave is a "genre", as much as an experimental attempt to bring new soundscapes to the world. As long as it keeps musicians and producers thinking and trying new stuff, I think it's valid.

Guest viniciuscabral

I'm looking back through this thread from a year ago and the posts are so autistic

define autistic

honestly at this point we should probably just be taking small sections of text from the earlier pages and pasting them repeatedly in a variety of fonts & colours, possibly with some letters replaced with triangles and currency symbols

Thank all of you fior explaining this phenomenon - I always wondered if any else in the world ever dwelled on public access T,.V,. vibes and such- I came across this topic a month ago and damn near cried how wonderful it is to know this is happening now

////His 1 and only post. Nevr forget////

Guest viniciuscabral

Not your posts vinicius. I mean some of the earlier ones. You were quoting some older stuff which made me want to go back.

I was listening to your stuff on soundcloud.

Yeah...I mixed it up. In fact I just gos a little confused. Time for a new Vaporwave Thread, maybe? Did you listen to Hi mom!

I totally 180'd and loved it from like page 3 onward.

My passion for some things, especially relating to music, have often begun with initial skepticism or dismissal.

^ yeah me too.. i actually think there's more to "vaporwave" than what we think of it as currently... of course it's just a word, like anything, but the community, ideas, collaborations and experiments are what can make it evolve.. not the samples used or types of symbols or japanese letters or vhs sounds. it's still to me, very punk rock, and i think it serves as the punk ethos of the internet age, since there hasnt been a vibrant ballsy punk attitude in music in god knows how long.

I think there's a lot more to come.. and i also think that we should encourage ea other to expand things, evolve, etc. example- mixing vaporwave and idm.. instilling vapor vibes in pop music and so forth. imagine if rock music stayed strictly in the elvis/fats domino vein and never expanded... that would be sad and dumb. i think genre's are meant to be explored, evolved, abused, stretched, exploited and played with. ppl who say vaporwave's dead, imo, were never really into for more than the "underground uber hispter trend".. there are always 1st and 2nd waves and third waves, and evolutions... it's so juvenile to declare something as dead the moment it gets a little more popular.

Edited by Lane Visitor

Guest viniciuscabral

^ yeah me too.. i actually think there's more to "vaporwave" than what we think of it as currently... of course it's just a word, like anything, but the community, ideas, collaborations and experiments are what can make it evolve.. not the samples used or types of symbols or japanese letters or vhs sounds. it's still to me, very punk rock, and i think it serves as the punk ethos of the internet age, since there hasnt been a vibrant ballsy punk attitude in music in god knows how long.

I think there's a lot more to come.. and i also think that we should encourage ea other to expand things, evolve, etc. example- mixing vaporwave and idm.. instilling vapor vibes in pop music and so forth. imagine if rock music stayed strictly in the elvis/fats domino vein and never expanded... that would be sad and dumb. i think genre's are meant to be explored, evolved, abused, stretched, exploited and played with. ppl who say vaporwave's dead, imo, were never really into for more than the "underground uber hispter trend".. there are always 1st and 2nd waves and third waves, and evolutions... it's so juvenile to declare something as dead the moment it gets a little more popular.

You just made my day with this comment...

You and this link: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-grinder/watch-the-innernettes-nem-tudo-que-ferve-e%CC%81-vapor-vapor-bubble-gum-word-tutorial-%E3%83%92

You just made my day with this comment...

You and this link: http://www.tinymixtapes.com/chocolate-grinder/watch-the-innernettes-nem-tudo-que-ferve-e%CC%81-vapor-vapor-bubble-gum-word-tutorial-%E3%83%92

Damn, congrats sir! :D ... You just got on Tiny Mix Tapes... see it's not dead! great waiting room/corporate hospitality vibe in that track btw

Edited by Lane Visitor