IGNORED

What Job Do You Have

Danny O Flannagin

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VECTRON

I fix bombis and snowmobiles and trucks and stuff. Pays well but money doesnt go far up here!

I sell caribou meat sometimes too (shhhh!)

Guest Coalbucket PI

I've been at universities for 7 years now, I know a little bit about a very specific corner of biology and I need to write a book on it soon so I can leave university and try to be a real human again

Guest Ron Manager

I've been at universities for 7 years now, I know a little bit about a very specific corner of biology and I need to write a book on it soon so I can leave university and try to be a real human again

That is basically me too, except for 'biology' read 'history'.

i want to see someone in this thread that sells drugs for a living...

I used to. But I have an actual career now so it would be crazy to take the risk. Plus I like travelling and wouldn't want my passport revoked.

i have four more days left at my job...i work for the state as an investigator of consumer protection law violations. it's a nice job but the pay is bad. my new job is still with the state and still with law enforcement-ish stuff...i'm going to accredit lead and asbestos-safe training courses for contractors and also do compliance checks at renovation sites...they're going to be glad to see me :)

I teach philosophy at a college. This place rules and I would love to be able to stay here, but I'm just visiting for a year, so I'm on the job market again, where there are about five jobs and 1,000,000 geniuses who will get them instead of me. Teaching is a lot of fun and the students are cool. But I have no say over whether I will get a job at all, and where it will be located. My wife loves that. It took me 10 years to get my Ph.D. because I had the committee-chair-dies-and-you-almost-have-to-start-over nightmare scenario. My school was very prestigious and filled with people who had no time or interest in mentoring me because they were too famous and busy for such petty concerns. But they did write me nice letters, which will hopefully help me get a tenure-track job somewhere ... (?!)

The tension in my job is that I think it is absolutely important to study philosophy and the liberal arts in general as an undergraduate, but a terrible idea to major in the field and especially to pursue graduate studies unless you are reallllllllllly fuckin smart, self-driven, don't care about having a social life and want to just read and write all day instead of hanging out with normal people in a normal way. So I am trying to sell my discipline and defend the value of small liberal arts college education, while knowing that it sets you up for fuck-all when it comes to job prospects, quality of life, and avoiding becoming a fat alcoholic recluse with lung cancer.

The best thing about my job is that what I read and think and talk and write about continues to get deeper and more confusing and interesting, and will never stop doing so until I'm 89 and thinking of a funny last word to say before I die. But right now, as a newly-minted Ph.D. on the market. I have to learn to live with complete uncertainty about where I will be living in three months, whether I will have a job at all, and masturbating my penis thousands of miles away from my wife with my family plans on hold.

Crying in the shower to Ulillillia's YouTube videos for most IDM 2013!

I work for Renault selling car parts. It's my ninth year now and it feels like I'm wasting my life there.

I used to sell spare parts too.

Hated that job.

Talking on the phone, and serving customers all day. Glad I'm not doing that anymore.

All this week at work I'll be training on a new mass spectrometer that the university acquired - I'm stoked! The training looks intense; been reading the reference materials they sent home with me & there's a shitload to learn, but if I can get this down I should be able to generate amazing data pretty quickly. Hopefully I can get really proficient and make using the mass spectrometer my main job!

GC or LC? I work a lot with GC-MS and have been trained with some LC. Def a skill that will benefit you later (not many people are trained in mass spec).

I work as a research technician at a cancer center. It's not too bad, I do a lot of lab management and have a project that I work on and still do a good amount of support work. The one good thing is I make my own hours at my job and can get OT, so I tend to work on the weekends as well. I have a BS, but i'm currently taking more undergrad courses so I can apply to pharmacy school in the fall and get my Pharm D.

It's LC/MS - an Agilent q-TOF 6520 with chipcube LC. Training's almost finished - just one more day - and I've learned a lot. I'm really glad I invested a lot of time on the reference material ahead of time, as I was able to ask pertinent questions & get the hang of it quickly. I'm confident that I can use the equipment to answer the questions my PI wants answered, plus more stuff she hasn't thought of.

i have four more days left at my job...i work for the state as an investigator of consumer protection law violations. it's a nice job but the pay is bad. my new job is still with the state and still with law enforcement-ish stuff...i'm going to accredit lead and asbestos-safe training courses for contractors and also do compliance checks at renovation sites...they're going to be glad to see me :)

How was your last day? Hopefully your new job pays better. My job (also with the state) pays quite poorly but I get loads of vacation time, plus holidays.

A what now?

No idea here. But that reminds me that I need to go to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.

you can waste time with your friends when your chores are done!

Archived