IGNORED

What Job Do You Have

Danny O Flannagin

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thread.

I do Java shit

Good vibes to Chen from me as well. Also vibes to data; been meaning to purchase some of your tunes for a while now but been putting it off. Had no idea it was paying the bills! I’ll get off my ass and buy some.

1. I'm a general labourer doing renovations. The pay is just enough not to be shit, but not enough to really do anything and save money. I'll be making $19/hr from Feb. At least I get to work with power tools. Am applying for ESL tutoring positions as a second job cause the pay is better per hour.

2. Yes, but I want a career.

3. I just finished a double major in International Relations and Asian Area Studies, both of which are fucking useless. I am 90% sure I got in to grad school so I'll be getting a Masters in Asia Pacific Policy Studies.

4. I have those two BAs, but they are not relevant to the job I'm doing at all.

5. Yes and no. if I had started doing this earlier in my life I would be making a good living (my brother made almost 300K as a general foreman last year, he's a journeyman electrician). I work with a guy who's a friend and we shoot the shit a lot at work. A lot of the time the work is tedious, dangerous, or both.

6. I would love to work for the UN or the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT). The UN might be a possibility after I get my MA. DFAIT probably not, since you have to be able to speak, read, and write French fluently, which is fucking ridiculous, since in my decade in Asia I met one person who could speak French. Since I would obviously be focusing on East Asia in my work, it's a ridiculous requirement that hinders the Canadian government's ability to formulate coherent policy regarding Asia (which is obvious if you look at their policy - or lack thereof).

7. No. I'm 38, divorced, and have no savings or assets, and as I was a student for the last 3 and a half years I was living in my mother's basement suite (yes, you can see the "definition of a loser thread"). My gf is amazing, but I often feel depressed because she has a better job than I do and is able to live life pretty much how she wants to. Since the relationship is relatively new (about 6 months now) it's obviously not fair of me to ask her for any sort of support beyond emotional. I could probably use therapy again, but since I can't afford it, I'll have to wait until I'm in school again.

boo hoo me.

that's rough. admirable that you went back to school (i'm assuming) in your mid thirties. i know in dc you could land a job working for the state department, although the security clearance is a giant pain in the ass. do you speak another language fluently? korean? i think your prospects might be better than you're making them out to be, although i have no clue what the job market is like in canada.

Obel: sorry to disappoint man!

thanks for the good vibes from all.

Zaphod - I'm near native in Korean, and started studying Japanese again. Grad school beckons in the fall (i got accepted, yay!) so I'll put off looking for a career for another year and a half. The job market is great in Vancouver - if you have a B.Comm, MBA, HR, Accounting, or any of those sorts of degrees. I'm gonna focus on business classes in grad school as much as possible.

Anyhow, solider on, stiff upper lip and so on.

I forgot to mention, I also officiate rec soccer games on weekends, usually as a referee for youth games and a linesman for local amateur men's teams. Decent "second job" and it can be a lot of fun. Well, so long as moronic parents aren't yelling at you and their children or players aren't getting in drunken brawls. :emotawesomepm9:

I forgot to mention, I also officiate rec soccer games on weekends, usually as a referee for youth games and a linesman for local amateur men's teams. Decent "second job" and it can be a lot of fun. Well, so long as moronic parents aren't yelling at you and their children or players aren't getting in drunken brawls. :emotawesomepm9:

I used to be a lineman back in junior high and a little bit in freshman year. I basically did it for the money, i honestly didn't care much about the game and near the end of the 2nd half i'd be waiting for it to be over. Didn't make some really obvious offsides calls when i started and a parent got very mad at me on the other side of the field. Didn't fuck up too badly after that point, lol

I'm a freelance photo assistant. when business is good it's the best job ever. if i work five days a month or more i'm all set. when work is slow i have to be very frugal. the winter is usually the slowest time of year. the free time lets me work on art or woodworking, which i don't make much money on but are a lot of fun to me.

eventually i want to be a photographer, but i don't really know how to go about marketing myself. i'm good with the technical and artistic aspects but i'm not good at selling it. i'm talking with an agent.

i did get a degree in professional photographic illustration from RIT.

i am happy with my life, though it isn't without a good dose of stress.

I used to be a lineman back in junior high and a little bit in freshman year. I basically did it for the money, i honestly didn't care much about the game and near the end of the 2nd half i'd be waiting for it to be over. Didn't make some really obvious offsides calls when i started and a parent got very mad at me on the other side of the field. Didn't fuck up too badly after that point, lol

Yeah the worst is when you know you fucked up, especially started off. But for the most part people yell at you regardless, especially with offsides when you're calling it correctly! Parents of competitive games from like U12-U14 are the worst - they know the least and bitch the most. Whiny soccer moms and dads whose take out their frustrations of being old and stressed on you and young kids who referee games that no one gives a shit about. I usually smile and tune them out, but I'm always on the verge of doing this during the worst games:

Currently going to school full time, studying audio production. Enjoying that. Up until last May, I had been testing video games for 5 years (Activision/Treyarch, Vivendi Games, 2k). Only job I've ever had. Doing what Chris Watson does would be my dream job. I don't think it gets any better than that.

Guest onesixoneight

I work on the railway for a small company as a Signalling Testing Engineer with a professional licence as a Functional Tester.

In english that means we work for main contractors of Network Fail where sections of the railway are removed and replaced with new tracks, points, signals and other signalling equipment.

A Tester makes sure the signalling all works properly electrically and that all electrical and some physical properties follow defined safety rules laid out by the railway industry.

That means there is lots of studying, exams and onsite mentoring with masses of paperwork.

However it pays very well given you dont mind working days, nights, weekends, bank holidays, xmas, easter and away from home lodging away with driving 30K or more each year!

However despite all that its great, im outdoors in all weathers which has its moments , get to travel about a bit around the UK, its a career with prospects but by no means is it a dream job.

My dream job was to be a Marine Biologist in some warm country doing a lot of scuba and helping the environment man. I even got as far as getting a degree from Plymouth University but actually finding work shattered the dream as its all lab based shit and there are not enough jobs to go round.

I work for Renault selling car parts. It's my ninth year now and it feels like I'm wasting my life there. I'm studying for a computing & IT degree with the OU. Trying to get a decent job right now is harder than I expected but I've got one lined up which will put me on a decent career path. I've basically got the job but it's just a bit of a waiting game right now. It should double what I'm currently getting paid so I can look into house buying at some stage.

I work in a men's Cat B prison in London.

Worked in the visits department for 5yrs, mainly booking legal visits for solicitors, police and probation.

Transferred to the intelligence department last year. Not as interesting as that sounds. We mostly process S.I.R.s (security incident reports) and log evidence (mostly drugs and mobile phones).

The Prison system is on it's arse at the moment and there's talk that we'll be lucky to still have a job by 2015, so I've started to think about starting to think about looking for something else.

I'd like to read this thread utterly stoned off my chops.

I work for Royal Mail, have done for 8 years, since I came home from travelling (which I did for 5 years). It isn't glamorous, neither is it awful. It provides me with no-nonsense decent work, with decent a group of blokes (well there's a few pricks but thats life). I could work there 24 hours a day, such is the amount of overtime available and in this climate that is something to behold. There has been no redundencies either so its nice to know I have a secure job.

However I realise I will never get my river cottage and Aston Martin and I would rather be filming/photographing bears in Canada or sharks in the Pacific.

Such is life.

Guest Drahken

I'm an ex printshop bitch. Going back to school finally. Printshops are the worst.

Er, going back in August.

Aw that's too bad. I run printshop of my own, been here almost 11 years now. Lot has changed in the industry and it was starting to suck having a retail/copy center setup. No money to be made there, just time consuming single doc prints from USB drives all day. I closed my retail space in August and moved to a commercial space out in the country. Now I just focus on my big clients and hang out. Cheaper rent, more money, less hours/flexible schedule.

I was a self employed IT man till last year (introduced systems, did the training, programmed perl modules for a perl/Apache/db/Linux system, administered Win2k8 and Netware) - but I have no Diploma in computer science. I was sick of being self employed, but as opposed to what they always tell in Germany, nobody waited for me. Money got narrow and I had to take every job. Now I have a simple job (from brain usage point of view) - 1st/second level support, phone, ass crawling for ceo's, helping the administration out a bit... - all this. EUR 2500, nothing more, least possible days off (24), uninteresting job, I do not talk about it usually... but I work close to where I live.

All this week at work I'll be training on a new mass spectrometer that the university acquired - I'm stoked! The training looks intense; been reading the reference materials they sent home with me & there's a shitload to learn, but if I can get this down I should be able to generate amazing data pretty quickly. Hopefully I can get really proficient and make using the mass spectrometer my main job!

I'd like to read this thread utterly stoned off my chops.

I work for Royal Mail, have done for 8 years, since I came home from travelling (which I did for 5 years). It isn't glamorous, neither is it awful. It provides me with no-nonsense decent work, with decent a group of blokes (well there's a few pricks but thats life). I could work there 24 hours a day, such is the amount of overtime available and in this climate that is something to behold. There has been no redundencies either so its nice to know I have a secure job.

However I realise I will never get my river cottage and Aston Martin and I would rather be filming/photographing bears in Canada or sharks in the Pacific.

Such is life.

Hi, nothing but respect for posties but do you reckon you could deliver before 9am every once in a while?

What do you do for work?

• I deliver newspapers every wednesday and saturday, I recently quit my other newspaper job which was every night except sundays, but I was never awake when the sun was up, so.

Are you a student?

• Sort of, I take Polish and Japanese classes every week, but I don't go to school full time.

Did you get a degree for your job?

• No.

Are you happy with your job?

• No, I'm not happy with my job, but I could never do an 'actual' job, I don't like doing the same thing every single day for some person I don't like just to have money and keep myself alive. So I wanna do maybe several things I actually like with an irregular income, but at least then I do what I like, then I can do other things I like when I want to.

What is your dream job?

• I wanna do stuff with music and languages, but I don't actually have a dream job since I hate working.

Are you happy with your life?

• No, the biggest part of life is messed up, there are rules and laws and whatnot, I just don't agree with it, and what if you don't agree with it? You're just gonna have a sucky life, how is that fair in any fucking way? I get that there are rules and laws for some things, but other things are just made up just because the biggest group disagrees with something. Voting doesn't make sense either, so if 90% agrees on something, then that's the new law or thing, so what about the other 10%, just fuck them? It's not fair.
    I just wanna have this big house where I actually feel at home, with a lot of land which will eventually become a forest. Have dogs and a small lake or something in a warm country and don't care about other people.
    I could rage about everything I dislike in life, but I do that almost every day and the only one [close] who agrees with me is my bro.

Guest onesixoneight

3849, just a heads up, in order for you to live and especially if you want a nice house and lots of land and dogs you're gonna need a regular income and that can only be achieved by having a job that is in some form repetitive.

Although you could go through life on benefits, might be a bit shit though.

3849, just a heads up, in order for you to live and especially if you want a nice house and lots of land and dogs you're gonna need a regular income and that can only be achieved by having a job that is in some form repetitive.

Although you could go through life on benefits, might be a bit shit though.

fixt

Think outside the box. The fact that life sucks is not because of external rules, but because of a lack of thinking outside the box. By blaming stuff that's outside your personal influence, you've set yourself up for a life of misery. Instead, ask yourself wether you can find a way to outsmart all those limitations and amaze yourself what your options might be.

Silly idea: perhaps your happiness depends more on your ability to think outside that box, than the rules and systems you perceive.

Archived