IGNORED

Margaret Thatcher has died.

Friendly Foil

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hasn't she been suffering from dementia for years already?

Alzheimer, actually, if Spanish news reports are to be trusted

Odd, much like Reagan in death. I can't say I'm celebrating nor mourning. Musically she was the muse of many angry songs.

Depends which side of the fence you live on, for half the country she fucked it up and for the rest she was a saviour.

I may not agree with a lot of the things she did, but I certainly agree with some of them (and yes, it was all before my time really).

In terms of politicians she was fucking good at her job.

She had a personality, she had belief and she stayed strong to her ideologies.

There has been no politician since who even comes close to making as much as impact as she has and doubtless there will for some time to come. In 50 years time kids won't have a fucking clue who Gordon Brown was, but they will definitely still be learning about Thatcher.

Most politicians seem to be spineless backstabbers who change their policies like their underwear and go with public opinion / newspaper headlines. Regardless of what you think about her she certainly did earn the title of Iron Lady.

(for clarity, I do tend to vote Conservative but selling off our national services was a shit move IMO)

*cannot edit the above*

Plus she did manage to inspire a lot of people, for and against her, into having political views of their own. A good politician should lead and inspire the people, all those who have followed her have done so with varying (less) degrees of success.

She did stand up for The Falklands though, I guess the people currently living their will be mourning her loss. I'm glad those guys managed to get a referendum recently.

Depends which side of the fence you live on, for half the country she fucked it up and for the rest she was a saviour.

I may not agree with a lot of the things she did, but I certainly agree with some of them (and yes, it was all before my time really).

There has been no politician since who even comes close to making as much as impact as she has and doubtless there will for some time to come. In 50 years time kids won't have a fucking clue who Gordon Brown was, but they will definitely still be learning about Thatcher.

Most politicians seem to be spineless backstabbers who change their policies like their underwear and go with public opinion / newspaper headlines. Regardless of what you think about her she certainly did earn the title of Iron Lady.

(for clarity, I do tend to vote Conservative but selling off our national services was a shit move IMO)

You could say that about Hitler too.

/godwin

You could say that about Hitler too.

/godwin

I don't think Hitler would have stepped down / retired in the same way, but yeah all major political figures do tend to divide opinions like this, usually through class or race or whatever. Unfortunately its how you get remembered in the history books; do something really good or really bad. Don't be bland.

More Twitter stuff...

KLguhlo.jpg

Is it me getting old and grumpy or are kids more ignorant and stupid today than before? It probably doesn't help that they can now broadcast their ignorance with such ease for all the world to see. Perhaps it's been like this the whole time, now it's just more apparent.

Archived