IGNORED

Boc Old Tunes 1 + 2 / Boc Maxima / orig Twosim etc

Bambi

Guest opothecary

Wait, did you read what I wrote? Wasn't complaining, I actually support Mike doing whatever he wants with his stuff!

No matter how badly you choose to bite off of their aesthetic, and as good as it may sound at times, you don't have anyone renting out office space in London and video screens in Japan on your behalf. This is easy for you to say, and I don't mean to disregard your efforts, but they are working in a different league with greater legal concerns and overall greater attention paid to their efforts. Their feelings regarding dissemination of their art should be respected, I think they are being nice/realistic enough regarding turning a blind eye to the FREE distribution of this older material, especially when it would be fairly easy for them to capitalize on it personally.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i recall correctly, it was this behavior that got Twoism released officially in the first place, so, in the interest of seeing an official BoCset in the near future, bid this one skyward, folks

Wait, did you read what I wrote? Wasn't complaining, I actually support Mike doing whatever he wants with his stuff!

No matter how badly you choose to bite off of their aesthetic, and as good as it may sound at times, you don't have anyone renting out office space in London and video screens in Japan on your behalf. This is easy for you to say, and I don't mean to disregard your efforts, but they are working in a different league with greater legal concerns and overall greater attention paid to their efforts. Their feelings regarding dissemination of their art should be respected, I think they are being nice/realistic enough regarding turning a blind eye to the FREE distribution of this older material, especially when it would be fairly easy for them to capitalize on it personally.

I feel pretty confident that if BOC had an issue with this they would voice their concerns to the seller, and I imagine the seller would respect their wishes. Regardless, this is not their property anymore so the right to sell it is lies with the owner. Distributing it in this way is much more respectful than ripping it for everyone and distributing it on the internet for free. The property will pass to one other owner. If that owner should choose to rip it then the responsibility lies directly with them. The buyer will most assuredly be a huge BOC fan who will appreciate this piece of music history. Why would this be offensive to BOC?

Guest opothecary

I feel pretty confident that if BOC had an issue with this they would voice their concerns to the seller, and I imagine the seller would respect their wishes. Regardless, this is not their property anymore so the right to sell it is lies with the owner. Distributing it in this way is much more respectful than ripping it for everyone and distributing it on the internet for free. The property will pass to one other owner. If that owner should choose to rip it then the responsibility lies directly with them. The buyer will most assuredly be a huge BOC fan who will appreciate this piece of music history. Why would this be offensive to BOC?

Well the thing is, this is nothing new - they have had auctions of this material stopped in the past. Whether the time that has passed has made them toss up their hands and not care about other people profiting from this material, time will tell. My gut feeling is that I think we will see a compilation featuring some/all of this material within a year, and as little as one copy of each cassette (that is basically in the public domain already) would impact their own venture, I could still see them trying to halt the auctions, because they've done it before.

I'll buy cat023 for £600.

I could be pushed to £3-4,000 for CAT023, but I'm not rich, and I know people who would (and could) pay truly eye-watering amounts of money for it, far in excess of that.

Must be odd knowing there's a little bit of black plastic on the shelf that could take care of the mortgage for a number of years.

Guest opothecary

so you are basing your argument on a "gut feeling"

I take it that reading comprehension isn't your strongest suit.

no, mdg said that people shouldn't spend money on getting records of boc's past releases. that strongly implies that there will be either represses or some type of boxset.

edit: and i also want to say, when someone gives you a gift, it's poor form to sell it. end of story. i could sell the pearls my mom got me for my birthday last year because i don't wear them and i sorta need the money, but that would be shitty of me. she gave me those pearls to show the love she has for me in her heart. if i sold them, i'm taking a symbol of her love and exchanging it for money.

selling these gifts is the same situation and, i think, because BoC actually made the gift, it should be treasured even more. it came straight from the heart, no middle man. do you realize how lucky you are to have that? and now you're pawning it off right before their newest record is coming out so you can make the most money from it.

yeah, the music is what's important :rolleyes:

no, mdg said that people shouldn't spend money on getting records of boc's past releases. that strongly implies that there will be either represses or some type of boxset.

it doesnt really matter, this is a collector's item.

I'll buy cat023 for £600.

I could be pushed to £3-4,000 for CAT023, but I'm not rich, and I know people who would (and could) pay truly eye-watering amounts of money for it, far in excess of that.

Must be odd knowing there's a little bit of black plastic on the shelf that could take care of the mortgage for a number of years.

Number of years? where do you live, Burnley?

Guest opothecary

If this fabled boxset is ever going to happen, it will be on the tail of this album, the same way we sometimes used to get an EP a year or two later. Interest in their output is probably the highest it's been since the release of Geogaddi and they've had ample time to complete the remastering of their past work, which they've been working on for years on the side.

It would make sense that they'd want to discourage these auctions, and possibly any musical press that might accompany the auctions as it would remind some people that this material is essentially already free for the taking. I like to think that most people who care would do the right thing and purchase it legitimately if/when the time come, but not everyone will.

it doesnt really matter, this is a collector's item.

Case in point - Twoism has a general public release though the '95 12'' is on £205 with nearly a week to go.

How do I join the lynch mob?

Do I have to sign up somewhere? Or do I just simply make an idiotic self-righteous comment?

Either way, this is fun and awesome and should continue happening.

Guest mehbleh

So you're selling bullshit?

That's gonna be hefty bullshit for the highest bidder to cough over :D

Seems someone in twoism is stating that the originals are Sony tapes not memorex. I don't necessarily support this argument, but can you clarify this confusion?

Oh what in the holy fuck.

Are you seriously trying to drag my music into this somehow?

We aren't materialistic about bullshit like this because the music is whats important.

Oh so these are free? Awesome, I'll take two.

Money can be used to actually help us live, you know, like, buying food and shit.

Wow Joyrex, expected better decorum from yourself in regards to talking about artist's personal lives. As stated before, these are just collecting dust on a shelf we aren't dying for money but why not sell them? There's people out there that want them and as I mentioned before the tracks are in the public domain.

I remember seeing several leaks on this forum from your beloved artists and you were all happy to download them even though they weren't ready for release or they were unwanted in the public domain at that time. Mike wouldn't leak stuff or be ungentlemanly towards his friends, he has these tracks digitally so it's not really necessary for him to have tapes (which are obsolete!). We aren't materialistic about bullshit like this because the music is whats important.

Sorry - I personally think it's just a low/shitty thing to do - and NOT YOUR MUSIC to decide if you want to sell, since these are not commercially released tracks (well, not all of them). BoC owns the copyright to these tracks, and since they are not commercially released, you nor anyone else has the right to distribute, sell, or perform them publicly. You being the co-owner of a record label should know the law.

And you're mis-informed regarding leaks on this forum - despite the (mis)named "Joyrex Tape", I did NOT leak them - at one point, Richard was even considering allowing me to release a few of the tracks, and had no problems with me putting up 30 second snippets for the fans to hear.

And honestly, you're going to pull the "the music is what's important" bullshit, when you are SELLING the fucking things for a quick cash grab to capitalize on BoC's new album release? Give me a break. If it was just about "the music", then pull the fucking auctions, and since you have them digitally, DESTROY the tapes since you have no right to sell them (and hey, they're obsolete - let's smash old Ben Franklin wax cylinders too, since hey, they're obsolete) - I'm sure BoC didn't give out the Old Tunes with the expectation they'd be sold at a handsome profit.

I'm sorry you need money, but capitalizing on the trust, generosity, and friendship of Mike's fellow contemporaries and friends (honestly I have no idea how well you know them) is inexcusable.

Guest opothecary

So you're selling bullshit?

That's gonna be hefty bullshit for the highest bidder to cough over :D

Seems someone in twoism is stating that the originals are Sony tapes not memorex. I don't necessarily support this argument, but can you clarify this confusion?

As close asTwoism is to my heaer, sounds like some serious OCD at work if we are worried about tape brands. You think they stopped rolling off copies for friends/family/labels when they ran out of one brand of tapes?

Guest opothecary

Oh what in the holy fuck.

Are you seriously trying to drag my music into this somehow?

So much ego in this post - you are an artist, they are artists. You have your own comfort level with how your art is consumed and distributed, they are equally entitled to their own, which may differ from yours.

rixxx, on 01 Jun 2013 - 7:41 PM, said:

Thanks for the heads up, Ill check with what mike wants to do.

check what boc wants to do while yer at it.

i wouldn't be surprised if you do get off lightly as you're... well... special yet any ordinary poor joe would be tarred and feathered by now, though that could make mdg's stance on the matter from last time quite a contradiction, its a tricky one.

rixxx, on 01 Jun 2013 - 9:25 PM, said:

I love that your happy to illegally download, because you know, that's really doing wonders for the music industry at the moment.

yea, its terrible but hey you can help us fight that, just get that tape to the highest bidder so we can rip that bad boy to an even better state its in out there on the doubly doubly, then we won't need an official release. everyones a winner except...

yea thats right.

btw i find your arrogance is astounding and your questions are still outstanding so we'll ask you again:

have you permission from the artist to do this? we're all ears

rixxx, on 02 Jun 2013 - 12:11 AM, said:

'twoism'

they didnt instigate this

Joyrex, on 02 Jun 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

Funny, BoC never had to sell off their own rarities to support their families in the 8+ years between TCH and Tomorrow's Harvest...

Frankly surprised CAT034 isn't up for sale - you could easily get 1000 quid for that, but then you'd have to deal with Richard...

bflol

rixxx, on 02 Jun 2013 - 01:24 AM, said:

Wow Joyrex, expected better decorum from yourself in regards to talking about artist's personal lives. As stated before, these are just collecting dust on a shelf we aren't dying for money but why not sell them? There's people out there that want them and as I mentioned before the tracks are in the public domain.

We aren't materialistic about bullshit like this because the music is whats important. ?????????

you're actually talking to us about your own personal life. oh i thought the money was whats important.

and no i personally have zero interest in such tape, the whole approach you took with your £999 from someone who claims "well we don't really need it, we're not exactly in a mess, its the music thats important" is really hard to digest as its not an official release nor was ever intended to be but to get signed. sure you might as well lash up that other rare 'bullshit' you've got there. you've come this far, don't be scared you can always drop it back down to £99.

what a laugh.

Guest mehbleh

I don't disagree but I was just wondering if she could clarify.

Also if she and mike have these tapes digitally, all the more reason to share its just one less step.

Show is what you're made of rixxx: the money for auctioning these tapes and helping out the fans too.

You're the one who basically accused me of ripping someone's music and aesthetic off, when I've almost completely independently released about 400 things, which I sincerely doubt you've heard all of...and I'm the one being a dick?

Your points are fair enough with regard to the auctions, but my music is irrelevant to this topic.

Archived