IGNORED

Printing my master's thesis now

Squee

My thesis is about the sound of dreams in movies... so hopefully in a month or so I should receive my papers saying that I'm not officially an Audio Designer.

Not officially one? Or now* officially one?

Sorry, I'm tired as fuck... I meant "now" :)

Can you post it here? Sounds like an interesting read

I don't think it would be of much use if you don't read Afrikaans :)

My thesis is about the sound of dreams in movies... so hopefully in a month or so I should receive my papers saying that I'm not officially an Audio Designer.

The sound of dreams in movies...?

I'm intrigued. I know you're probably sick as hell of the subject (considering you've probably been studying this/getting pertinent information together on it for quite some time) but can you elaborate a little?

Do you mean the way dream states are portrayed musically/or otherwise in terms of sounds in movies?

Congrats Squee! Finishing a master's thesis takes a lot of effort, and there's nothing like the feeling of pride you get when you look at your finished and bound copy, all those footnotes/endnotes and appendices that you painstakingly spent weekends fixing up.

Well done, seriously. Have a drink or something!

Squee, what were the sorta 5 most common production tricks you found were used for dream music?

I'm curious how frequently stereo tremolo and other panning tricks got used...

Congrats man! I know that feeling, and it's a damn good feeling.

How cruel would it be if you woke up tomorrow and all 6 years of hard work had been a dream, like the Bob Newhart Show or something.

Best ending to a sitcom evar

Good luck!

But you hated all those 6 years? WTF!? What are you going to do with your degree? Practice accounting, or something? Or will you rise to ultimate fame by setting up THE "nice tits" page?

Congrats, and cheers!

I think the impressionist vocabulary has been adopted by film score writers to a great degree, and that particularly the whole tone scale played on a harp is often used for dream sequences?

Do you mean the way dream states are portrayed musically

Yup, more or less :) It's all about the soundscapes, music, and so on.

All I remember from films I've seen is voices with a lot of delay/reverb.

You just summed up a big part of my paper :)

Have you been researching the sound of dreams in other movies, or inventing ways to aurally represent dreams yourself? Or both?

I looked at Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway and had a look at how the dream sequences were portrayed auditorily. I also had a quick look at a soundtrack that I did for an art video. And then finally I made my own generative system that was based on the things I had realised throughout my thesis. Such as, dreams, according to Freud, are random memories or traumas that have made a big impact on us. So since dreams most often are just random memories I thought making a generative music system would work great as a "Dream Music System". Instead of importing sound files you import "memories" and then it creates randomly generated ambient pieces out of that.

And thanks guys! :) Appreciate the kind words!

Archived