IGNORED

boc and children

jules

I think the topic of children listening to boc is insanely curious now that I have a little 2.5 year old. beats, colors, numbers, letters, patterns, counting, laughing. it has it all!

but this morning. this morning was one of those pristine moments where music and life sync to absolute perfection.

I always play tunes for my boy on the way to daycare before work. whether it's boc, ae, radiohead, tool, etc. my stuff. so obviously tomorrows harvest is on and twice in the car, out of nowhere, he goes, turn it up daddy! This is cool! And was kicking his feet and laughing when the drums came in. it was so awesome. this was new seeds. he was digging the intro and when it fully kicks in, he was going nuts.

but then came come to dust. wow. we both seemed to just completely soak it in on the same level. it was borderline insane. but the kicker was when we got to the daycare driveway and i went to get out of the car. he actually said no daddy, play it again! and we both just sat in the car in the driveway. We listened to it all the way through. loud. with the rain pouring down. It was fucking amazing and I was trying not to cry.

I think the topic of children listening to boc is insanely curious now that I have a little 2.5 year old. beats, colors, numbers, letters, patterns, counting, laughing. it has it all!

but this morning. this morning was one of those pristine moments where music and life sync to absolute perfection.

I always play tunes for my boy on the way to daycare before work. whether it's boc, ae, radiohead, tool, etc. my stuff. so obviously tomorrows harvest is on and twice in the car, out of nowhere, he goes, turn it up daddy! This is cool! And was kicking his feet and laughing when the drums came in. it was so awesome. this was new seeds. he was digging the intro and when it fully kicks in, he was going nuts.

but then came come to dust. wow. we both seemed to just completely soak it in on the same level. it was borderline insane. but the kicker was when we got to the daycare driveway and i went to get out of the car. he actually said no daddy, play it again! and we both just sat in the car in the driveway. We listened to it all the way through. loud. with the rain pouring down. It was fucking amazing and I was trying not to cry.

:cry:

Great story. I think electronic music has a sort of purity to it that makes it possible to appeal to anyone especially young minds.

Guest feralkittens

Aww that's really sweet and sounds like a great experience. I love listening to music with children. I don't have any of my own, but when I was an arts and crafts camp councellor i played a lot of MHTRTC and Twoism for my campers and the little ones especially really loved it. You could tell by the way they talked that they took it more seriously than I had previously given children credit for.

I know I was really sensitive to music as a kid. I think boc have a way of hitting these universal emotional chords that people can relate to no matter what era they were born in. That's their real secret weapon imo. I think I came out if the womb being nostalgic though.

back when my wee lad was a lot smaller, he informed me that the richard d. james album was 'too fizzy'. out of the mouths of babes...

Thanks for sharing that Jules. I look forward to playing music around my kids, not only sharing my favorites but also seeing what they like. My parents always did and I'm very much grateful for that.

That said, I think there are moments when you will realize your kid just might not get some of the music you love. While it will likely (and hopefully) be a rare occurance, this is bound to happen:

Great story. I think electronic music has a sort of purity to it that makes it possible to appeal to anyone especially young minds.

That really makes sense, I didn't actively listen to electronic music until I was a teenager, but it retrospect I actually did (and just about most kids did) through video game music, film soundtracks, tv library music, even some advertising. Some of my favorite rock and pop songs as a kid had random moments of purely synthesizer. I suppose it's why BoC has a nostalgic draw to it to so many listeners.

I know I was really sensitive to music as a kid. I think boc have a way of hitting these universal emotional chords that people can relate to no matter what era they were born in.

Absolutely agree.

i love this thread

did you guys listen to the album all the way through, or just come dust again?

all the way through, it's been on a loop in the subaru.

and yes josh. I'm excited when he expresses what he likes. he will not have that daft punk album at all except for the panda track. swear to Christ.

I do look forward to when he brings me music in his teens but I'm not rushing that.

he did have boc in the womb. I actually told him after the track was over, I said you know Jackson, you were listening to boards in mommys tummy before you were born. he said, I'm not born daddy, I'm Jackson. then we fist bumped and went to daycare.

Guest WWBJD

I love playing music for my boys (1.5 and 4.5 years old).

This is going to sound completely made up and I have hesitated to post about it anywhere.. but who cares.. anyway.

About three weeks ago we were driving to daycare. Much like Jules, I play daddy's music on our way (as often as I can -- when I'm not playing Daniel Tiger or Thomas). I was playing some Geogaddi, "You Could Feel the Sky".

My oldest, out of nowhere says, "Daddy, it feels like I can touch the clouds" and he starts giggling and pretending to touch the sky out his window. I sat there stunned and tried to watch him as much as I could.

Other than that we usually play, "Who said that?!" to Aquarius. Can't wait to get TH.

I love playing music for my boys (1.5 and 4.5 years old).

This is going to sound completely made up and I have hesitated to post about it anywhere.. but who cares.. anyway.

About three weeks ago we were driving to daycare. Much like Jules, I play daddy's music on our way (as often as I can -- when I'm not playing Daniel Tiger or Thomas). I was playing some Geogaddi, "You Could Feel the Sky".

My oldest, out of nowhere says, "Daddy, it feels like I can touch the clouds" and he starts giggling and pretending to touch the sky out his window. I sat there stunned and tried to watch him as much as I could.

Other than that we usually play, "Who said that?!" to Aquarius. Can't wait to get TH.

that's it, boc are psychic

That's awesome Jules... My boys and I were once listening to Aquarius in the car and when we reached our destination, Liam kept saying "Orange... Yeah That's Right!" for a while.

Ha! I just put the track on right now and he walked in saying Orange!

Guest Ando

I was playing some Geogaddi, "You Could Feel the Sky".

this is legendary

Guest Araungzeb

That's amazing! On my way to preschool every morning I used to have a cassette tape of Zooropa that I would listen to over and over again (it had just come out and my mom was a massive U2 fan). I think that's one of the reasons I was always open to experimental music growing up, so maybe your son will have the same experience!

Yeah I love playing boards of canada for my kids. They love it too, they have to, I'm their father.

I keep ABPOITC playing on repeat in their habitat, to set the right mood. I have recently introduced several of the ambient tracks from TH to the rotation, while they explore and interact with my learning modules.

My studies are coming along well.

was expecting something else when opening this thread

Lol

Likewise. I was surprised it hadn't been locked yet. ;D

The next new BOC should have a listening party in jules' subaru.

That's fucking awesome Jules, I seriously hope to have moments like that when I have kids! My dad used to play all his records for me after picking me up from preschool when I was younger and it was one of my favorite things ever. I knew about The Stones, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles when I was 3, as well as a bunch of other blues greats growing up (dad was a bluesman back in the day). I think it's important to share music through generations like that.

Guest feralkittens

The next new BOC should have a listening party in jules' subaru.

haha. I kind of love the idea that only fans kids get to go to the next listening party, then they get to review it for us.

Cute thread. I wish I wanted kids (weird thing to say I know. I love kids, just not sure I wanna be a mom).

Archived