IGNORED

Question for those of you who play video games...

Guest carthief

Guest carthief

Hello,

So I've been out of the video game loop for a number of years now - I currently have my sister's old Playstation 2, and enjoy playing it, but looking at some of the stuff that is coming out soon (and is out already), I'm really considering getting a new system, etc.

My question is - I enjoy multiplayer games, like first-person shooters, etc., a great deal, and one of the biggest reasons I would want a newer system is for the online capabilities. In terms of what's currently out, I think I would want an Xbox 360, with online connection, but I'm wondering if the older online and multiplayer games will become essentially obsolete once Xbox One and all of the newer games come out.

Will there still be a place online to play the current multiplayer shooters, etc., and will people actually be there playing them? I saw a video on youtube once about one of the older Call of Duty games, and its online play had completely degraded to the point where it was all people with hacks fucking up the screen and play, messing the whole game up, because apparently the consoles stop monitoring or caring about the older games and their online play...

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks so much,

carthief

or multiplayer games in general, lots of new good mp games are free 2 play pc only. Also mods, etc. i'm biased in the whole console vs pc debate (cus cosoles r shit duh) but if you want a system mostly for online play console would be terrible. shooters or any games where you have to aim on consoles are impossible not to mention that the only multiplayer shooters worth anything are pc only.

You might as well pick up one of the new consoles if online gameplay is what you're interested in. And among those two, PS4 seems like the only right choice at the moment.

So.. Pick up a PS4 in a few months, would be my suggestion.

pick up a pc wtf why the fuck would you buy a fucking playstation to not be able to play any decent multiplayer game.

Guest abracadabra

I say it's a best time to wait for PS4. But if you're really eager to start playing current gen consoles to fill that gap, then get a PS3. There is no subscription requirement needed to play online unlike the xb360.

However, Playstation Plus, which is a monthly service is awesome. It's around 5 dollars a month, and you get "free" games, discounts and some exclusives. New games become available after every month (maybe even less). Once you download the game, you can play it as long as you're a PS+ member. Say if the game comes out of rotation and can no longer be downloaded. Well, if you had downloaded it when it was in rotation, you can still keep and play it as long as you're a PS+ member. It's really great in building a collection of games within a short amount of time. Also, the PS+ will transfer over to PS4.

I'd be wary in what games you are going to play online though, because some games as you mentioned don't really have an online community anymore. For instance, I picked up Grand Theft Auto IV not too long ago, and it's really difficult getting an online match going. There simply is no one on it anymore (online gta iv sucks btw).

If you do plan on buying a PS3, I recommend picking up Uncharted 3. Not only is the single player a truly gripping experience but the multiplayer is fun as fuck. And, the online community is still strong.

Hope this helps.

edit: Forgot to mention, that AAA titles are still slated for release this year on PS3. Like The Last of Us which comes out this week, and Gran Turismo 6 later this year. I'm missing something. Oh, God of War Ascension came out earlier this year. So yeah, it will be strong for a while I presume, just like the PS2 was pretty strong after PS3's release. Although PS4 does have a nice price tag, IMO.

Guest dylanmcknd

Or pick up a PS3 now for quite a smaller price. I presume the newer games on it will still be popular online for quite some time.

I assure you they won't be.

Online play on console games die fast and hard, and now with the amount of sequels these games get, and the next generation of consoles coming, there will be very little online play on almost all of the games.

PC is expensive, but online communities and play last a lot longer than consoles do. You can still find a good match on UT2004 (Which is better than most of the online shit that comes out today).

Guest isaki

I played call of duty 3 a while ago and there was still a fair amount of people playing that, you would be surprised

I will echo Adam's sentiments that if you just want to play shooters then PC is the best. You can build your own for $500-800 and be able to run most games. Plus later you can upgrade it piece by piece for eternity. The keyboard and mouse are just infinitely better than a joystick for FPS. If you choose a console I don't think it makes a difference. If you like sony get a ps4.

Guest Gravity

PS3 or Xbox are by far the best to play FPS on. its a no-brainer really.

It really depends on what you're used to. For me, nothing will ever beat sitting in front of a monitor with a mouse and keyboard. Some people are better with controllers. All depends on how good the person is with the input device.

Hello,

So I've been out of the video game loop for a number of years now - I currently have my sister's old Playstation 2, and enjoy playing it, but looking at some of the stuff that is coming out soon (and is out already), I'm really considering getting a new system, etc.

My question is - I enjoy multiplayer games, like first-person shooters, etc., a great deal, and one of the biggest reasons I would want a newer system is for the online capabilities. In terms of what's currently out, I think I would want an Xbox 360, with online connection, but I'm wondering if the older online and multiplayer games will become essentially obsolete once Xbox One and all of the newer games come out.

Will there still be a place online to play the current multiplayer shooters, etc., and will people actually be there playing them? I saw a video on youtube once about one of the older Call of Duty games, and its online play had completely degraded to the point where it was all people with hacks fucking up the screen and play, messing the whole game up, because apparently the consoles stop monitoring or caring about the older games and their online play...

Anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks so much,

carthief

Battlefield is a great online FPS for multiplayer, Borderlands is a co-op RPG FPS with insane amounts of randomlyl generated guns, and Halo is good fun with a squad, haven't played pt. 4 yet, but it can't be that different. If you like shooters, Xbox 360 is the FPS console as far as I'm concerned, just mute any teenage asshole that insists on using voice chat. Most players have given up on that by now. Also the Bioshock games are great for a single player experience.

Guest Frankie5fingers

Just buy a new pc, and get an xbox controller if ya want the console experience. its a better setup right now since youll be able to continue gaming after the new turn of consoles.

if you're gonna go with the current gen, get a ps3 unless you like paying to play with 12 yr olds... if you wanna wait a couple months, the ps4 is clearly the better option for the next-gen

^^^^

PS3 or Xbox are by far the best to play FPS on. its a no-brainer really.

It really depends on what you're used to. For me, nothing will ever beat sitting in front of a monitor with a mouse and keyboard. Some people are better with controllers. All depends on how good the person is with the input device.

He was trolling. People who are better at shooters with controllers are incredibly terrible at shooters. Any shooter that requires skill is not on console because you can't possibly be good at any shooter with a controller. It's just not nearly as fast and precise as a mouse can be.

Optical mice? Fucking laugh out fuckin loud! Where's the fucking challenge?

Using a bluetooth controller with a low battery and latency issues replicates the experience--the sweet rush of bloody fuckin fear-- of tripping over your buddy's blown off face in some malarial swamp with just a gummed up sidearm and a hundred Mao-crazed barbarians breathing down yer fuckin neck. Yee haw I tell you what.

Guest Gravity

Great game.

He was trolling.

Oops.

Optical mice? Fucking laugh out fuckin loud! Where's the fucking challenge?

Using a bluetooth controller with a low battery and latency issues replicates the experience--the sweet rush of bloody fuckin fear-- of tripping over your buddy's blown off face in some malarial swamp with just a gummed up sidearm and a hundred Mao-crazed barbarians breathing down yer fuckin neck. Yee haw I tell you what.

hehe

I'm not gonna bother looking for the source, but I think it was Valve who said that PC-console cross-platform multiplayer wouldn't be viable because even the best controller-based player didn't stand a chance against decent keybard&mouse-based players

Guest Gravity

I'm not gonna bother looking for the source, but I think it was Valve who said that PC-console cross-platform multiplayer wouldn't be viable because even the best controller-based player didn't stand a chance against decent keybard&mouse-based players

Yeah, pretty sure Gabe said that. Anyway I was just trying to be reasonable up there, of course m&k are better for FPS games but if you're comfortable playing on a console do whatever you want.

Archived