IGNORED

Anybody Remember Wipeout 2097/XL?

LooseLink

I was working at one of the radio stations at the college I was attending when this came out. I didn't know as much about electronic music as I wanted to yet, so the soundtrack/compilation was a nice introduction to some different styles. Complimented the game fantastically well! Still cherish those early Photek records too. And if you couldn't stand Keith from The Prodigy's voice, you got the instrumental of Firestarter!

Totally worth picking up if you see it in the budget bin. The later game with the exclusive AFX and LFO tracks was quite nice too!

The dude who did the soundtrack to the original game and contributed to 2097 as well has remasters of all his tracks on bandcamp...

The original Wipeout and 2097 were probably my most played PS1 games.

Edited by Somanymachines
I can't code
  • Like 1

I still play it on my laptop with a PS emulator... don't know how the fuck it works but the emulator turns the graphics way better than the original.... it's an original ISO ripped from the original so I guess it's the same data but the graphics adaptor on the computer turns the resolution way up...

this must make a lot of sense to some of you but it beats me...

I also have an USB to 4 inputs PS controller converter...

Edited by cruising for burgers

On 6/16/2023 at 9:06 AM, LooseLink said:

Yeah? Then here it is at Phantom Class with Ed Rush 'n' Optical over it! Why? ...... why not?.... idk work it out.....

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cta_bSPs0mf/

this is redirecting me to an Outrun video, not Wipeout... ?

The PSVR Wipeout Omega Collection was mind-blowing. Not sure if the soundtrack was the same though (it included 3 different wipeout games). Not recommended for beginners though ?

• Like 1

I played the hell out of Wipeout 3 on PS1 back in the day, got gold on all phantom class levels ?

Sasha - Xpander was my preferred track 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, avinit said:

I played the hell out of Wipeout 3 on PS1 back in the day, got gold on all phantom class levels ?

15 hours ago, cruising for burgers said:

I still play it on my laptop with a PS emulator... don't know how the fuck it works but the emulator turns the graphics way better than the original.... it's an original ISO ripped from the original so I guess it's the same data but the graphics adaptor on the computer turns the resolution way up...

this must make a lot of sense to some of you but it beats me...

I also have an USB to 4 inputs PS controller converter...

Which emulator is this? I use DuckStation. Works great! And is super easy to use.

On 6/18/2023 at 1:58 AM, avinit said:

We just un-ironically blasted xpander last weekend without this thread for context lol 

(I had to post this twice bc first reply automatically registered as hidden, what’s up with that?)

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 1

I remember watching my brother play Wipeout XL a lot back in late 1996. It was the most influential game of all time for me in terms of music tastes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ManjuShri said:

If you want a modern take on the Wipeout formula, definitely check out BallisticNG. With modded content it's basically a never ending stream of Wipeout (just have to play your own tracks).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/473770/BallisticNG/

I'd go ahead and recommend anybody else who isn't aware of BallisticNG to try it out, I really got into it when they did custom maps.... but then they started recreating 2097/3 tracks... at the time they left me out of trying them though apparently their community is "tight-lipped", don't know what its like now, would like to try these out.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 8:19 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Can't go wrong with either Sasha, or Sasha and Digweed, but i did feel 3 was the waypoint between F-zero and Wipeout.

F-zero was more bumper cars, Wipeout had way more tension... 

I do have concepts and ideas for a "4th" Wipeout, that would recapture the rush of 2097/3.... BUT add a extra element to it.... idk if any programmers of producers would like to help me get a prototype together, hit me up:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, LooseLink said:

Can't go wrong with either Sasha, or Sasha and Digweed, but i did feel 3 was the waypoint between F-zero and Wipeout.

F-zero was more bumper cars, Wipeout had way more tension... 

I do have concepts and ideas for a "4th" Wipeout, that would recapture the rush of 2097/3.... BUT add a extra element to it.... idk if any programmers of producers would like to help me get a prototype together, hit me up:

The Wipeout game on PSP had both AFX and Tom Middleton exclusives, got those rips somewhere 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

The Wipeout game on PSP had both AFX and Tom Middleton exclusives, got those rips somewhere 

Lol, I still have the CD

• Like 1

Been going through Sean Seanson's videos, and just came across his review for N-Gen Racing, an aerial combat racing game made by ex-devs of WipeOut, that's fast paced, content rich, and has top tunes as you'd expect. A seriously overlooked gem.