IGNORED

1500-2000 pound budget for a drum machine.

pcock

so far been tempted by the tempest, looks delicious.

uninterested in the 909/808 , while powerful, i want something brand new to get my chops into.

what should i be looking at, any ideas?

not much, got a decent focusrite soundcard, a virus-b , an ms-2000, and a dw800.

ive already got my heart set on a prophet 12 for my new synth, but im wondering what to go for in a drum machine.

i make grooved, solid 4/4 techno, and i like my drums to often sound nothing like conventional drums.

so all in all, to expand the thread, im looking for a decent reverb unit, delay, synth, and drum machine to complete my setup. ive got a budget of about 4000 for the synth + drums, and maybe another 500 for the effects. suggestions would be very welcome.

Guest chunky

alesis andromeda or

2x elektron analog four

need to know how to program drums though

synth secrets for that

or experiment

should be able to make drums on the ms 2000 and virus??

My two cents: With that budget for drum machines you could get several nice old ones. Old 70's/early 80's drum brains (Simmonds, Pearl, Synare, Pollard) sound really nice and are fairly flexible and intuitive to program. Most aren't midi'd but you should be able to trigger them from the audio outs on your soundcard with something like silent way (check first not all cards work). You could get one or two of those and one or two budget old Rolands (Tr 505, 707, Dr 110) and you'd have a wide variety of sounds and polyphony at your disposal.

If you are absolutely set on new gear I'd look at the Analog Four before a Tempest. Very flexible and they sound way more lush to my ears.

Guest chunky

707 and 505? just use samples instead

could get 5 korg ms 20 minis haha

not a good financial investment to buy rge new fashionable stuff though

yamaha rx 1 or 5? cant remember which was the flagship model

sp 1200

id be scared to buy this stuff until yamaha and roland start doing analogue again

Are you getting one as a collector or a musician? If the latter, do you want to sound different to everyone else? One way to do that is to use an old monosynth to make interesting percussive sounds, sample the single hits, and load them up into a sampler (whether soft or hard) as your very own drum machine style kit. Guaranteed uniqueness, breaks the ice at parties.

If you're doing this as a musician but aren't so worried about sounding unique, you can simply buy a sample CD that contains samples of hundreds of different drum machines. Though admittedly, most don't sound as good as an 808 or 909, which you're not after, or samples of a real drum kit.

If you really want to get an actual drum machine, try to pick one that's reasonably versatile, as you (presumably) don't want all your songs sounding the same, even percussion wise.

I once saw a live techno concert where the only thing the guy used was a Elektron MachineDrum, and my guess is that it's right up your alley, Messiaen :)

yeah go with Elektron. Either of their devices will provide you with deep and unique sound design tools for drum synthesis, the Machinedrum obviously being the most optimized for drums. But you can get quite funky with percussion on the Monomachine, Analog Four, and definitely Octatrack too.

If you can wait, it's more or less expected that Elektron will come up with something like an analog drum machine later this year.

something like Octatrack + some MIDI enabled analog drum module or mono synth, or just a microphone, will keep you happy for a while I think.

+1 to the Machinedrum. When I programmed on one I felt like the tuss. Also +1 to the MPC1000, it's currently on my top 3 pieces of gear to buy soon.

Can I ask why you picked the prophet 12? It is (supposedly, I have only see vids and played an 08) an amazing synth, but if you have that much money wouldn't it be better to grab a badass mono and then maybe a simple/less than 2k usd poly to have a little sonic variety. I love the prophet series, but it probably wouldn't be my cash out...

• 2 weeks later...

well, im gonna go for a machinedrum i reckon, saves me 500 quid for something else exciting, and looks to be an absolute beast, glowing reviews off everyone.

i want the prophet 12 because ive been salivating over the 08 for 3 years, and havent been able to afford any new gear atall because of crippling debts ive been slowly chugging through

also i like expensive sparkly things. and il be among the first people to have one, it isnt even out for another week or so. im sure i will not be dissapointed with it.

Archived