IGNORED

What's your preferred mood?

ambermonk

Just out of curiosity, do you all prefer making music that's more chill or ambient, or more aggressive, or other?

I feel like I've been taking the dark, intense approach too much lately. Your input might give me a better idea of overall WATMM preferences regarding the YLC forum.

Guest RadarJammer

its like those choose your own adventure books. do you have a "mood" when you are choosing your own adventure? it just sort of happens. i have as much mood when I make music as when I make coffee, its very enjoyable but it doesn't have a theme. maybe i just don't have very many moods in my head

Just out of curiosity, do you all prefer making music that's more chill or ambient, or more aggressive, or other?

I feel like I've been taking the dark, intense approach too much lately. Your input might give me a better idea of overall WATMM preferences regarding the YLC forum.

The music that usually grabs my attention has layers of emotion - dark and gloomy with a little light shining through. Drone or ambient with a more "definitive" melody on the verge of emerging. Or as an inverse, happy and upbeat music with a minor chord or melancholy bridge in the middle. It can apply to pop just as much as it could apply to underground and experimental music.

It doesn't matter so much how something is grounded or even if you stick to one general "sound" or "vibe" but rather how much you make the details count. There's plenty of great, well-executed music that simply doesn't have that sense of mystery or subtle emotion to it. Likewise there is simple and technically straightforward music that does: I think that's why people flip out over artists like Burial or Drexciya for example.

I've been going more early 90s live playing techno lately. Building up, breaking down, rebuild type of thing instead of automating and sequencing everything so rigidly. It's fun when there's room for accidents instead nit picking and trying to perfect every detail.

My mood would probably be something between Jeff Mills' Bells and Aqua's Barbie Girl.

"C'mon Barbie, let's go party!"

the problem with electronic music production is that there is such a disconnect between the keyboard/mouse/GUI and human emotion. the only way i seem to be able to get past this is by smoking pot. it numbs my senses enough to the point where hopefully i can see past the awkardness and inconvenience of the computer, and be able to put down into music what i seem to be "feeling" at the time.

however when working on music sober, i also find that to be helpful as well, but in more of a critical way, in that i see things as they really are, and am able to throw away a lot of trash that i thought sounded awesome when i was high, but then realize it was complete shit.

Preferred Mood: Itchy.

There's a bit in a Steven Wright routine where he says, "I don’t know how she did it, but Rachel got poison ivy on her brain. The only way she could scratch it was if she thought about sandpaper". This reminds me of a kind of head space I get into when I'm progressing rapidly with a track. It isn't necessarily pleasurable, it's more like struggling to relieve an irritation. When I'm starting out on a track there might be a need to motivate myself but once it starts becoming something and I can envisage how it could be, then it almost becomes involuntary as I restlessly try to scratch all itchy bits that need work.

Archived