IGNORED

Aleksi Perala is more lush than the Aphex Twin

Adieu

I certainly don't think the mix is wrong and I don't think there are any rules on mixing anything really, but, on a purely technical standpoint and to my tastes, I would bring the lead melodies more up front. I don't think RDJ is infallible and I don't think every single mix he's ever done is perfectly conceived from start to finish. He might or might not listen back to every mix he's ever done and think they are all perfectly mixed, but it doesn't matter. To me, Wabby Legs just sounds like it was mixed on headphones instead of on monitors since the high frequencies of the leads can trick you to think they are louder than they actually are. I still think it's a nice track though.

it's a weird criticism though because of a lot of electronic music from this same era or a little before it were also 'badly mixed', mixing hadn't become a standard yet in electronic music until arguably the late 90s, before that most people were still experimenting with different ways of mixing. I seems like a criticism born out of a lack of musical vocabulary of electronic music before 95. And doubly weird to criticize the mix of someone who essentially invented drill and bass with a showcase of amazing songs on Hangable autobulb, i mean the guy was doing something totally new.

Someone asked to present a 'badly mixed' afx track and this came to mind. Compared to the rest of the tracks on Hangable, I find the mix for 'Wabby Legs' to be inconsistent. 'Laughable Butane Bob', for example, is similar to 'Wabby Legs' as a track, but I just find Wabby's mix to be lacking with its buried melodies. I would have mixed it differently is all I'm saying. Is it a wicked track? Yes! The Hangable tracks are unbelievably ahead of their time and arguably some of RDJ's best work! I just don't like straining to hear the melodies in Wabby Legs.

On standards of mixing electronic music, like I said, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to mix really. Today or in 1995. But as a mixer, I've developed a palette I like and it sometimes makes want to tweak other people's mixes to something I enjoy a little more.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone of a high quality copy of Stone in Focus? Because all the copies I've listened to the bass is too loud and carries too long which ends up with some funky sounding rattling.

It's possible on Wabby that he did the mix the way he did it so he could keep the bach or mozart? samples hidden to an extent. But also I can see why he would put the drums up front so much. It' sort of his thing to use percussion as the driving force in the track rather than it sitting behind and between everything else.

• 4 months later...

Aleksi is a sound professional and scientist. Aphex is a psychedelic engineer. Both are high quality sound producers. But I agree with the original post. Aleksi's last few albums shows me that he has now entered another level of production. If only Aphex could release something new, it would be easier to compare apples with apples. Weirdly, MU4 didn't sound as great to me as all the other Mental Union. The sound of it doesn't impress me.

Probably has something to do with this:

"Aleksi’s passion for music was deepening. In 2005, Aleksi commenced 3 years study of Music Technology at Koulutuskeskus Salpaus [a complex of further education in Finland]. As part of the course Aleksi took several months work placement at the University of Helsinki, Department of Musicology. For Aleksi this was both a unique and immensely rewarding experience; he found himself immersed in an analogue studio containing the pioneering electronic music instruments built by Erkki Kurenniemi in the ‘60s. Aleksi says that these 3 years were fundamental in allowing him to create a different sound based on electro-acoustics and the physics of sound. With this Aleksi took the decision to drop his previous pseudonyms and he now uses his own name for releases."

Source: www.ovuca.com

Why does one have to be considered lusher than the other? Can't they both be lush, instead of duking it out for the lush crown? Can't they both have equal billing at the Lush Fest?

Yeah, lush is just a word anyway.

lush 1 (lsh)

adj. lush·er, lush·est

a. Having or characterized by luxuriant vegetation.

b. Abundant; plentiful. See Synonyms at profuse.

c. Extremely productive; thriving.

a. Luxurious; opulent: the lush décor of a grand hotel.

b. Extremely pleasing to the senses: a lush scent; lush fruit; the lush sounds of an orchestra.

c. Voluptuous or sensual.

3. Overelaborate or extravagant: lush rhetoric.

[Middle English, relaxed, soft, probably alteration of lache, loose, weak, from Old French lasche, soft, succulent, from laschier, to loosen, from Late Latin laxicre, to become shaky, frequentative of Latin laxre, to open, relax, from laxus, loose; see lax.]

lushly adv.

lushness n.

Adj. 1. lush - produced or growing in extreme abundance; "their riotous blooming"

profuse, riotous, exuberant, luxuriant

abundant - present in great quantity; "an abundant supply of water"

2. lush - characterized by extravagance and profusion; "a lavish buffet"; "a lucullan feast"

lucullan, plush, plushy, lavish

rich - suggestive of or characterized by great expense; "a rich display"

3. lush - full of juice; "lush fruits"; "succulent roast beef"; "succulent plants with thick fleshy leaves"

succulent

juicy - full of juice

maybe he has the time to make his stuff more 'lush' simply because he doesn't push himself as hard as Aphex to try new territory constantly. Learning a craft on how to make a specific style of music takes a long time and obviously Aleksi has done that, but I think there is something to be said about challenging yourself, taking yourself out of a comfort zone and nailing a new or different genre ie: Drukqs . I don't see Aleksi placing the bar as high as far as this is concerned. He's a great musician, i love his stuff.. but for me there is absolutely no comparison to the genius of Aphex

This

End thread now. I feel dirty for being here

• 4 weeks later...
Guest iniquity blues

This thread is right on! Why just the other day I was listening to some "dj caustic window live at catch 22" thing and I was like "What's up with this shit mixing? Why are people talking? I wish I was listening to aleksi right now.... I'm glad to know that I'm not alone out there!

where's aleksi and where the gigs at? last i seen was rephlex 21st birthday at bangface. WHAT A DAY! also, i now own a rephlex tshirt, does this mean im a fanboy (gad damn fanboys) - spread the good tune words through tshirt face.

i don't listen to aleksi perala but the vids Adieu linked at the start of this thread are VERY WELL MIXED!

but the music is boring as absolute heck! you could have replaced AP in the title with any other artist who just simply has better mixing. NOISIA IS MORE LUSH THAN APHEX TWIN

if I'm being honest here, id say christina aguilera is a bit more lush than aphex twin in all honesty but thats just me

but the music is boring as absolute heck! you could have replaced AP in the title with any other artist who just simply has better mixing.

Aleksi's music is boring?! you sir, are a dingus. :emotawesomepm9:

no sir i am simply a man with an opinion!

but the music is boring as absolute heck! you could have replaced AP in the title with any other artist who just simply has better mixing.

a dingus opinion :emotawesomepm9: Maybe you've only listened to the more drone tracks from the colundi project as there are a lot of tracks on MU4 that are very busy.

a dingus opinion :emotawesomepm9: Maybe you've only listened to the more drone tracks from the colundi project as there are a lot of tracks on MU4 that are very busy.

HAHA STEVE BRULE REFERENCE DIONGUS LOL

how about instead of doing your sarcastic "you don't have a clue what you're talking about routine" just friggin link something? =) lol

how about instead of doing your sarcastic "you don't have a clue what you're talking about routine" just friggin link something? =) lol

hehe, I was going to...but then I got lazy.......

hey man it happens to all of us!

unfortunately that song wasn't hitting on much for me... very thick sounds though and great mixing etc

hey man it happens to all of us!

unfortunately that song wasn't hitting on much for me... very thick sounds though and great mixing etc

Aye, no worries. But surely it wasn't boring, was it?

yah put me on the spot mr groove glitcher... I'm gonna have to be straight up and say this track did not keep me interested in any fashion thus rendering it boring to me (imo) but i do appreciate you taking the time to locate a primo track for me.

Archived