IGNORED

Hierophant

Thiefinger

Hi there. So, I've been making electronic music for some years now and I've been experimenting with different styles and so on... And I still keep experienting. Anyway mostly I tend to something techno-ish or similar but I did a bit of experimenting with samples I recorded from random tv-shows and put some lazy beats over them.

So here's a tune called "Hierophant":

https://soundcloud.com/thiefinger/hierophant

ps. I'm aware that as I just joined this forum and I'm already posting my own music here so it might seem like I'm just promoting myself here but I try to comment and listen to other peoples stuff as much as I can! :derp:

That is a beautiful chord progression, very genuine emotion all over this track. Thoughtful sample placement as well. I like that you had a varied arrangement and didn't wallow in the gorgeous opening vibe (as would've been so tempting). Also, thank you for not heavily side-chaining to the kick; you'll come out on the right side of history by not abusing that effect.

I think your primary challenge is going to be further refining your sound to a level wherein it is instantly recognizable as your own. At the moment it is fairly obvious who your primary influences are likely to be so I won't waste space by listing them.

Overall that was a very enjoyable listen so keep on producing/composing and forge a sonic identity that is truly your own! Welcome to WATMM and I look forward to hearing more!

That is a beautiful chord progression, very genuine emotion all over this track. Thoughtful sample placement as well. I like that you had a varied arrangement and didn't wallow in the gorgeous opening vibe (as would've been so tempting). Also, thank you for not heavily side-chaining to the kick; you'll come out on the right side of history by not abusing that effect.

I think your primary challenge is going to be further refining your sound to a level wherein it is instantly recognizable as your own. At the moment it is fairly obvious who your primary influences are likely to be so I won't waste space by listing them.

Overall that was a very enjoyable listen so keep on producing/composing and forge a sonic identity that is truly your own! Welcome to WATMM and I look forward to hearing more!

Thank you for your feedback! Much appreciated!

You're totally right about finding my own sound. I have to say that it's not too obvious to myself what influences might be heard in my stuff, so I'd be interested to hear what you were thinking of. At the time of making this tune I was thinking it might be a "BOC meets Flying Lotus"-kind of thing (not as good as those but anyway,,)

I'd also like to get some criticism from a technical standpoint. Is the balance ok? Does anything need eq? The low-mids might be a bit muddy?

This tune here is me stepping out of my comfort-zone so I'm sure it sounds a bit unrefined still. My older stuff is much more based in using synths, creating melodies and chord progressions myself, not relying on samples. I have to say that I still find it much more satisfying to make something work "myself" and not thanks to a well chosen sample.

So let's stay on track here on this thread and just discuss this one tune... but still if anyone's interested to make any comparisons, you can check out some older stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/thiefinger

Really nice track bud, has an almost malevolent atmosphere, I don't know where I stand listening to this track (In a good way, of course). The samples used sound excellent and are used to great effect, I haven't heard your earlier stuff but this is a really nice direction it's going in. From a technical standpoint I have no clue, all I know is what sounds good and this track does, nothing is too low in the mix and all sounds as clear as intended. I'm a sucker for the partial Lo-Fi sound too though... Only part I'll properly criticise though, and this all comes down to personal taste, are the vocal "oooooweeeeehh" samples from 2:02 onwards. They sound a bit too synthetic tuning wise and maybe they should blend together a bit more and not sound so disjointed tonally? It's as if each sample sounds too static/disjointed from the next and could blend? Hope I make sense and that you keep up the excellent work!

Really loving this sound. Very nice and atmospheric. Spacey and trippy, and chill too!

Yeah, it's a nice original sound. Lots of lovely stuff going on here <3

Seriously, this is fucking ace actually!!!

Wow, this is really good! It's also much more professional sounding than what I usually listen to. Considering that the premise is quite similar to, say, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, it's surprising how different a take you have on it. More please! :D

Guest The Bro

This was a real enjoyable listen. I have to say your chords remind me of BOC which ain't no bad thing. Really nice. Will check you out further!

Thank you kindly for your comments! Really nice to see that it wasn't total crap after all. Getting people to listen is hard and getting feedback and constructive criticism is even harder, so thanks!

I'd like to put here one of my older tunes which probably is the most listened one on Soundcloud. This might be the tune where I first thought that I can do something at least remotely original myself. The mix isn't as good as on my more recent tunes but anyway I'm still kind of proud of this one. This features sampling too but those guitar samples are actually played by me. I just didn't know what I was going to do with them at the time of recording. Just played whatever and sliced it into nice little bits that I fucked around with. Also featuring the mandatory ambience-track in the background, this time going with beach ambience. I just love the idea of having some kind of natural ambience quietly in the background. It brings some randomness and sense of space to the mix.. usually. I don't know. Just gotta have it.

https://soundcloud.com/thiefinger/seawater

edit: goddammit I can't write

Archived