IGNORED

Monitors.

pcock

one of my tb2 went off so i sold them. i work and listen on my second pair again - yamaha hs50m for a while now. after the tb2s the only next step (or two) i'd go will be either

PSI A17m or Geithain RL906

...but money, moneyyyy... i don't have for toyz atm :(

they're both about 2k euros (tax ex.), for a pair.

Only from my limited experience of monitors , the only thing I don't like is that they are light compared to my friends tapcos & Mackies , they feel cheaper than others.

But I can hear a good mix vs a bad one and they are flat & revealing like the adams..

A bargain !

just been testing them... they are loud & revealing.

they tail off sharply at 30hz which annoys me, coming from a 24hz sub setup (which was a wrong setup)

im trying to get used to their flatness

• 3 months later...

they tail off sharply at 30hz which annoys me, coming from a 24hz sub setup (which was a wrong setup)

Here's a question...

What does a normal run of the mill home stereo tail off at? And if one was looking to make mixes that translate to what normal people listen on why would they want monitoring that pumps way lower than that. I ask because my mixes translate reasonably okay but whenever I have a sine bass that pitches down I lose the tail on most "normal stereos."

Edited by RFJ

Anyone got experience with the Focal monitors? kakapo, you have the CMS40s, wanna share your opinion?

i have the cms50. i love them. exceptional clarity in comparison, not boomy like dynaudio bm5s and easy to listen to not grating like some (adam a4). some friends who do more serious mixing bought subs with their cms60s but i haven't found it necessary. i have a small rooms so i don't see the point of having a sub. i have thought about buying a second pair

Here's a question...

What does a normal run of the mill home stereo tail off at? And if one was looking to make mixes that translate to what normal people listen on why would they want monitoring that pumps way lower than that. I ask because my mixes translate reasonably okay but whenever I have a sine bass that pitches down I lose the tail on most "normal stereos."

i Just like it (bass head)

they translate fine, most systems dont do that low :]

home stereos (and some monitors) can be tailing off at 50hz. an 808 is an 80hz pitch drop

Edited by lala

Anyone got experience with the Focal monitors? kakapo, you have the CMS40s, wanna share your opinion?

i have the cms50. i love them. exceptional clarity in comparison, not boomy like dynaudio bm5s and easy to listen to not grating like some (adam a4). some friends who do more serious mixing bought subs with their cms60s but i haven't found it necessary. i have a small rooms so i don't see the point of having a sub. i have thought about buying a second pair

I would more or less echo this, they work in a relatively small room, don't need bass extension. Use them for listening as well as production.

I think the point is I just don't notice them. I never find myself thinking, oh that's a bit boxy sounding or they're struggling to keep up with transients.

Here's a question...

i Just like it (bass head)

they translate fine, most systems dont do that low :]

home stereos (and some monitors) can be tailing off at 50hz. an 808 is an 80hz pitch drop

Thanks.

I was asking you the question but didn't mean you specifically. More of the royal you, so to speak. I guess my quandary is if a normal system doesn't push below say 50hz why do amateur artists like myself use monitoring that goes below that. Seems it is, in a way, self defeating. Meaning, if the m50's I use dropped off at a higher range I'd hear the drop off too, in the composition phase, long before it gets to someone's home stereo who is listening to a track I made that now doesn't sound "right" because I composed it for / on something a bit more high end.

Edited by RFJ

Lots of (nearfield) monitors go pretty low... but it doesn't mean that all are reliable down there. To me, they often sound artificial in the low-end, with an exaggerated bass response which is misleading.

I'm used to my monitors which are super precise down to 50/60Hz but roll off quickly under that, and find them super useful to get those tricky low/low-mids right. A good set of headphones to check the subs et voilà, done.

Anyway, HPF everything, from the 30 to 200Hz depending on the source :) 9 times out of 10, super low frequencies are useless, they kill punch and make everything muddy.

they kill punch and make everything muddy.

yep. takes a lot of headroom too (loudness wars is urgh to me tho)

it also depends on what sort of music you make - the Rolando Simmons stuff, for instance, has loads of bottom end, but it isnt really 'clubby' music, is it.

i just got brought up on 90's jungle so i like dem low bass notes, innit

If you're doing a jungle track with a low heavy bassline, there's lots of chances you'll filter out your kick/drum set under 50Hz to let the bassline breath. And if you HPF the bassline under20/30Hz you'll most likely make it sound better than if it rumbles down to 10Hz... Especially if you do some buss-compression on your drums or 2buss.

The opposite goes for a more techno infused track : HPF the kick under 20/30Hz, HPF the bassline under 50/70Hz and every other track up to 200Hz, and the tune will sound heavy as fuck and punchy at the same time :)

The same thing applies in the high freqs, but I prefer shelves up there.

Anyway my point was that monitor sometimes go pretty low to check that you don't mess everyhting downthere. The cleaner the low freqs, the better the mix : it opens the whole spectrum up.

Sorry if this is an obvious mixing routine to y'all,. If not, it took my mixes to the next level when I learnt it, so give it a try. Cleaning the useless LF and HF, as well as proper gain staging make mixing so much easier and more enjoyable.

Edited by lin

• 2 years later...

dunno, I think one of the lead designers started EVE audio, but that's a couple of years ago if I recall correctly. Never heard any of their speakers though. Adam are really nice (if you like that super clean ribbon tweeter sound).

I have focal twins but my goal is to upgrade to barefoot by the end of the year.

Have you seen their new ones? 

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/winter-namm-show-2017-jan-19-22-anaheim-ca-usa/1133892-barefoot-sound-introduces-footprint01-speaker-winter-namm.html

I'm about to upgrade from my current APS Coax to Amphion One15 soonish. I've been drooling over them for a while now.

Strangely, monitors trigger my GAS more than anything else.

dunno, I think one of the lead designers started EVE audio, but that's a couple of years ago if I recall correctly. Never heard any of their speakers though. Adam are really nice (if you like that super clean ribbon tweeter sound).

That sounds about right (and lol @ the name), cheers.

I love my APS Coax's. A bit shy on bass but so useful and accurate from 55/60Hz ! It's quite a pleasure do mix on them.

Anyway, whatever monitors you may end buying, try to sort out a demo (and preferably a properly burnt-in) pair for a week or so in your own room. That's the only way to know if you'll like them or not.

Hey, thanks for mentioning these.  Noclue when I'd have anywhere near the budget to afford something like that again but if I do, monitors are something I really need to improve and I really consistently prefer sealed designs in my experience but those are pretty uncommon in modern speakers.