IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

talking of chris carter did anyone watch his pilot on amazon? i forget the name but it was garbage. hey there's a mystery you must watch more of this. then at the end there is an alien. did he stretch one xfiles episode idea into a series?

I think that's the best parody I've seen. lol.

I started watching the show after the 4th one aired, then watched 5 and 6 when they were new. The last two definitely weren't as strong as the previous, but I have little problem with them. To me, the show was always more internal than external, so the way the plot played out wasn't of huge importance. The plot (not to say it was negligible at all) was there as a tangible thing that revealed the inner realities and philosophies of Rust and Marty. You could say that about nearly any show, I realize. But few shows took it this far to inner side in such a compelling way. And (I'm not the first to say it) there just hasn't been a character like Rust Cohle before. All of the jaded/disillusioned/weary cops and detectives of past shows were just hints of this thing taken to it's full conclusion.

A++ Will watch again.

I love how Rust is a nihilist who can see the Infernal Plane. Great ending. The violence toward the end was Manhunt level.

One thing confusing: the final boss did not look like the riding mower man at all. Anyone else feel a discrepancy?

I love how Rust is a nihilist who can see the Infernal Plane. Great ending. The violence toward the end was Manhunt level.

One thing confusing: the final boss did not look like the riding mower man at all. Anyone else feel a discrepancy?

imdb confirms it's the same actor, but I still don't believe he was the Yellow King.

Guest Mirezzi

I listened to a pretty thoughtful defense of the final episode the other day where it was argued that Pizzolatto just thumbed his nose at all the convoluted theories of his own protagonist/hero in Rust. He compared it to the way Pizzolatto is quick to defend, when interviewed, decisions he made with this story.

Basically, Pizzolatto left the Romantic or the Fantastic (and even the Uncanny) storytelling behind in the final two episodes and instead went all Emile Zola with an indictment of Erol Childress's environment / heredity. "My family's been here a long time.." and in the labyrinth, “You know what they did to me?” and “What I would do to all the sons and daughters of man.”

That's all fine and good, but the execution IMO was still poor. Parts of it were great, Shakespearean / revenge tragedy spectacle on steroids...but that entire labyrinth was just overcooked and too artistic. Everything in the hospital was borderline absurd/funny/pathetic?

I still think it was a super enjoyable show, but I was disappointed with the ultimately conservative and safe path Pizzolatto decided to take with his storytelling. He teased us with all sorts of promising ideas, and went with arguably the most banal. Sometimes, people do bad things when they've had institutionally bad things done to them. It isn't a conspiracy except insofar as human beings are nasty to one another. Okay. Cool.

If you think the ending was basic or banal, you missed it. It was a completely fantastical ending. And what's wrong with a little hope for Rust? He got to actually be on the other side of many of his theories, and he is going to be doing some thinking.

I will say Rust walking around in the labyrinth was a little cliche. It felt like every video game i've ever played, what with Errol calling out those arcane taunts.

well it was 20 years later...

it was not. i'm saying Errol in the house with his woman/cousin/sister/slave looked completely different than he did in final boss mode. He looked much bigger at the end, stronger, leaner. I think he had a CGI layer.

@autopilot

Yeah I think that may have something to do with it, but the point of view police would say that's off the table due to Marty being there and half of that scene being from his pov.

The thing I love about Rust's hallucinations is that there is the suggestion that they aren't hallucinations at all, that Rust is just seeing more clearly.

anyone who fucks w/ psychadelics proper will tell you that's exactly what they do; help you see reality more clearly

yet another reason this show's got its finger right on the modern pulse

And also, I didn't like how they made the speeches by Rust about his daughter's death, and that horrible parable outside the hospital at the end about dying and then finding some infinity underneath where everyone he loved would exist. First he starts out in the series by laying down some actual real world knowledge, and then they undo all that good by appealing to the religious and the spiritual, and in the process banalizing the information in like, episode 1 and all the episodes where he talks about the human condition. That's again just enabling blissfully ignorant people the ability to ignore realities and call the person "depressed" or "crazy", because in the end, nobody can really believe that a person could say something that doesn't fit the mainstream cheese without being crazy or depressed

Sorry, but you are the mainstream cheese. Can't you see how the nihilism and spiritualism can coexist?

anyone who fucks w/ psychadelics proper will tell you that's exactly what they do; help you see reality more clearly

yet another reason this show's got its finger right on the modern pulse

That vortex really was there. I wish they would have done more of the Infernal Plane stuff. So good.

I'm a straightedge punk 4 lyfe, but sleep deprivation will help you see more clearly also.

Archived