IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The cinematography was indeed a highlight of the show. Will the next season have the same director and DP or will it go with a whole new crew? Wouldn't mind seeing someone else give their take on a new setting.

I've skipped the entire spoiler-laden thread to say I'm two episodes away from finishing and I think so far the show is kind of brutal. Cohle's outlook on life and shit is infectious.

Guest Mirezzi

I've skipped the entire spoiler-laden thread to say I'm two episodes away from finishing and I think so far the show is kind of brutal. Cohle's outlook on life and shit is infectious.

Don't worry, you're a mere 120 minutes from changing your mind and joining Rust in his newborn love of life, goodness, and the lord up in heaven JC.

Rust's acceptance speech when he's inevitably honored by the state of Louisiana for bagging the bad guy will sound exactly like Matthew McConaughey's at the Oscars.

"I'd like to thank God for separating the light from the dark."

zzzzz

I think we got a case of the viewers building up something that the show had no intention of cashing in. Had no problem with the ending.

Hah, I think we got a case of the show building up 80% of what it had "no intention of cashing in" and now, as with Breaking Bad, the MO of showrunners will be to spoon-feed happy endings. Welcome to the Idiocracy Era of television, everybody!

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

well that sucked. did I expect too much? my expectations were based on watching the show so...

did the case not matter because it was about the characters? .....but why can't we have both?

the more I think about it the more annoyed I am at the finale. I didnt understand how he got from green ears to green paint to the house. was it really that simple?

the cacosa place was creepy but do we really need another scene of people creeping around with guns drawn? and then someone sneaks up behind them? really?

and can you really survive an axe throw to the chest? and does everyone live happily ever after in real life?

someone was comparing it to se7en but the ending of se7en was daaaark and this was shit.

wish I hadn't watched it because my imagination was better than what I saw sadly. yeah i'll write my own fan-fic now thanks

:butthurt:

well that sucked. did I expect too much? my expectations were based on watching the show so...

did the case not matter because it was about the characters? .....but why can't we have both?

the more I think about it the more annoyed I am at the finale. I didnt understand how he got from green ears to green paint to the house. was it really that simple?

the cacosa place was creepy but do we really need another scene of people creeping around with guns drawn? and then someone sneaks up behind them? really?

and can you really survive an axe throw to the chest? and does everyone live happily ever after in real life?

someone was comparing it to se7en but the ending of se7en was daaaark and this was shit.

wish I hadn't watched it because my imagination was better than what I saw sadly. yeah i'll write my own fan-fic now thanks

yeah

Guest Mirezzi

:butthurt:

100%.

People geeking out about the creepy and crazy the little labyrinth in the bayou are just being easy. I told my wife, "Only if this is a video game does it make any sense or seem cool."

Really, Rust, you're not gonna wait for your partner? You're just gonna wander into a fucking maze of dead bodies and discarded satanic dildos and Cthulhu paraphernalia with a six-shooter and wide eyes? Total gimmick for the viewer, nothing more.

The only way that makes sense is if he can reload his Save from the last checkpoint and play it over and over until he gets it just right. "Dammit, I keep getting stabbed and losing half my health when the boss sneaks up behind me!"

extremely weak ending. It felt like something i'd seen many times before. The first time they went out to the swamps to find the first house with the kidnapped kids in it was so unique i guess I was expecting something far far less cliche. It felt very much like a made-for-tv Silence of the Lambs ending. I've seen better final serial killer confrontations in the show Millennium, this ending took the show from being cinematic quality for me right down to a typical (albeit high budgeT) TV show.
People ragged on The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but even that final confrontation was far superior to what happened on True Detectives. Seems like the creators of this show took one too many cues from JJ abrams and Damon Lindelof.

Instead, I’m reminded, against my will, of the ending to Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, a film that Pizzolatto is no doubt familiar with (and the one, incidentally, that first put Michelle Monaghan on the map). The P.I.-buddy protagonists, played by Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer, have both been both shot, perhaps fatally—especially in the latter case. But Downey wakes up in the hospital, and not long after Kilmer rolls in in his wheelchair, prompting the Downey voiceover: “Yeah, boo hiss. I know. Look, I hate it too. In movies, where the studio gets all paranoid about a downer ending, so, like, the guy shows up and he’s magically alive, on crutches? I hate that. I mean, shit, why not bring themall back?” At which point everyone who was killed in the course of the movie shuffles into the hospital room, along with Abraham Lincoln and Elvis. Totally unfair? Maybe. But that was precisely how I felt about Rust’s miraculous recovery.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-em-true-detective-em-finale-thats-it/284312/

quote from nic pizzolatto about the second series..."Okay. This is really early, but I'll tell you (it's about) hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

whatever its about or whoever the lead actors are,they,ve got a hard job on their hands matching some of the performances in this 1st series,quality tv

Most of my disappointments have already been expressed by others in this thread, so I'll just ask:

what do you guys make of the scene with Childress in his house where he sort of inexplicably switches to a couple of different accents/manners of speech? was this meant to display his cunning with disguising himself? his unstable mind?

I only ask because he seemed fairly calm and collected in his scenes so them taking the time to show that I feel like it was supposed to be communicating something.

Also the scene where he's painting at the school and the boy comes and stares at him. What are we meant to take from this? It does seem to linger as a scene long enough to imply some kind of significance other than him perving out looking at school children.

I thought he was mimicking something that was on the TV? Might as well told he is mentally unstable. I thought the school thing was just him scoping out new potential victims.

It seems people seem to want to read all kinds of subtext into everything these days. What happened to a cigar just being a cigar? I blame Lost.

250px-Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg

the weirdest part about the ending was it seemed like the creators of the show found a really crazy looking/intense real location to film in, but then didn't come up with anything story-wise to make it more interesting than the setting. Shockingly 'light'. Makes the ending to the American Dragon Tattoo look like a master-class in a serial killer confrontation in comparison. Is it just me or is not scary anymore to portray a killer's den as a dirty hoarder house? I would have been much more freaked out if they ended up going to a super clean Louisiana victorian mansion. The sticks all piled up and arranged in those corridors just seemed really 'oh look how cool this cinematography is' with no substance whatsoever.

I thought he was mimicking something that was on the TV? Might as well told he is mentally unstable. I thought the school thing was just him scoping out new potential victims.

It seems people seem to want to read all kinds of subtext into everything these days. What happened to a cigar just being a cigar? I blame Lost.

250px-Sigmund_Freud_LIFE.jpg

You could absolutely be right. I guess with all of the other subtle clues going on throughout the season I was being hypersensitive.

I did like the final lair or whatever visually, with the throne for the Yellow King, but it was all so undeveloped. Nothing new was revealed. There could have been dozens of different scenarios that would have wrapped it all up nicely, but instead they decided to leave tons of loose ends and have a complete tonal change at the end. Very strange.

the worst thing is the scars clue. this guy is barely scarred. can't be him. oh it is. OK THEN

I think we got a case of the viewers building up something that the show had no intention of cashing in. Had no problem with the ending.

this

it was a good pulp-ish detective story with a really unsettling tone that people took as a promise for something that could not probably be executed. i liked the ordinary ending, even though episodes 6 and 7 were kind of a let down and could as well do without them. but it was good television. not trying to outsmart the viewer is sometimes a good thing. i think it made me a lot more invested in the show as we were on the same page as the characters most of the time, sometimes even ahead. ordinary fucking people, i like them

srsly.

i do not understand is why they built up so much stuff and then kinda gave up mid-season.

was this show about giving up?

ok guys here goes

my interpretation of the ending was they showed us much more than they told us as an audience. I think Rust was open in a way Marty could never be, thus he saw the bird flock, and more importantly the "darkness" at the end. I think that was the money shot showing us some kind of Cthulu gateway, or dimensional, world thingy Hellboy kind of gateway. I don't think we ever saw the Yellow King, I think that was whatever came thru that opening and they worshipped it (spaghetti monster?), albeit under massive doses of narcotics. the guy in prison told them rich people came there to "devil worship", I don't think rich people would go out of their way to crawl into a nasty ass catacomb like that unless there was something really amazing on the other side, which there was. plus there would have to be some kind of "devil" for them to idolize in the first place, if this is an ages old order that abducts and kills these women & children on the Bayou. I found it a satisfying ending, if you take what you want from it. the writing always had an extra layer of subtext missing from most television, and I think they showed that in the ending as well.

Archived